VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What constitutes "minimal hygiene"?

Rate this question

EgregiousError

Question

We've all read the rating schedule a thousand times. It's surprisingly unhelpful, while being so plain. I'm waiting for a rating for (complex)PTSD due to MST. Also have ocd, anxiety, and depression.  I'm a hot mess most days, with a side of soup sandwich.  Thanks to my overwhelming mistrust for the system, I'm having a hard time being patient and not fixating on this. "Will it be 70, will it be 100? If I fit both, they have to err towards the higher..." and on and on. My current hang up is the hygiene thing. 

intermittent inability to perform activities of daily living (including maintenance of minimal personal hygiene)

Is that like getting smelly and gross? Or would weird stuff like bathing half dressed (yes, clothes on under the shower) and only once a week or so, using wipes to stay fresh, neglecting oral hygiene, would those fall into that criteria? Those are my normal weeks. Bad ones, I'm frozen in place and there are no attempts at hygiene. If the stars align, I get a normal... if not thorough shower, usually once a month. That requires a good few days to lead in, my husband to be unobtrusively near by, and occasionally,  still some pharmaceutical aids.

I'm mortified to even see this written here. It gets even worse. I'm not sure what qualifies as grossly innapropriate behavior, but lots of people have readily told me I'm guilty of that.

Thanks

Sometimes, when I visit the doc, he will write in my file:  DisheveledOr, "Dressed appropriately for the weather".  

You can probably see "the look" on a homeless Vet who can not take a shower or bath.  This means the VETeran was "unable to maintain minimal hygene".  

If the doc saw you 4 times, and you had taken a bath 2 out of the 4, then that would be "intermittent" ability to perform ADL's.  Key word "intermittent".  

In short, dont worry about VA regs, what they mean, or how to interpret them.  Focus on YOU getting better.  Virtually all the time, these GS5's or 7's are not out to get you.  They are more interested in when they get off, and remembering to bring home milk on the way home.  

If you get a PTSD diagnosis from a VA MH professional and can prove you suffered from a MST (which can be found in 'markers' the  VA examiner will note in the exam, and/or maybe your SMRS and 201 Military personnel file will reveal evidence of  MST , and/or poice reports, buddy "outcry"statements etc etc....than I would not worry about the remarks as to the hygiene-

It is the rest of the exam that is important.

Do you feel comfortable scanning and attaching the C & P exam here?

If so cover your  file #, name, etc prior to scanning it.

14 hours ago, broncovet said:

If the doc saw you 4 times, and you had taken a bath 2 out of the 4, then that would be "intermittent" ability to perform ADL's.  Key word "intermittent".  

than I would not worry about the remarks as to the hygiene-

Thank you both for your replies.

I have repeated diagnosis and years of treatment records for the PTSD, as well as police report and in service diagnosis for PTSD.  They totally cannot deny I have PTSD or that it's SC, my biggest concern is them underrating me. I'm asking what constitutes this, because I revealed all this to my shrink and the C&P doc for consideration on my claim, towards impairment. Will they consider this, or only their observation on that day?

As far as "notes" from doctors, that's laughable. I've seen my medical records over the years, and the doctor always writes that my appearance is put together and appropriate. I've had a hysterical panic attack and got forcefully removed from a clinic, while wearing a tutu and combat boots after several days of not bathing or sleeping, but the fudge head still wrote that my appearance was appropriate. So, either the doctors are lying or the bar for hygiene and presentation is realllllly low. 

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree wih Ms berta

They focus on your symptoms mostly as for as what they rate you...when you go to the C&P Forensic Exam just be honest with your answers and dress like you normally would dress, if you wear smelly cloths ain't comb your hair or brushed your teeth in a month or two, the examiner will see this  but don't go to your exam  like that if this is NOT you...they have a way to see if a Veteran is over exaggerating or over doing the exam and it will only cause a less rating or even a 0% rating....>.Don't hang yourself.

I have PTSD an was rated at 70% and I am still in treatment  it seems it don't get any better for some of us..I wish I didn't have it  there's so much on life I am missing out out and have missed out on..I hope someday to be better feel better and not have the anxiety this damn PTSD Brings with it.

I'd gladly give up my 70% not to have this crap.

My social life is right here on hadit  not in the public.

If you have problems with hygiene I would still present clean and well dressed.  I would also come with statements from your civilian doctors and your husband as to your issues.  Buddy statements still have impact.  

Edited by vetquest
misread question

Try not to worry too much about the hygiene part.  For my C&p for MST/PTSD I was dressed comfortably in somewhat plain attire with tennis shoes, jogging pants, jacket, hair pulled back, no make up and good hygiene.   I was rated 70% for MST/PTSD.  Yes, I do go most of my day to day without taking care of my appearance or hygiene at times due to my mental state but the examiner would not have known that just by looking at me nor am I aware it’s anything that would stand out in my mental health records (although I’m not sure).  I don’t think you have to hit every single point on the rating schedule to get a high rating...maybe I’m wrong.  

I didn’t have any major breakdown during my exam although I did shed tears and was very anxious talking to the examiner.  

I understand your concern as I was too waiting for my rating, like you I had the police report, mental health record history and dx for PTSD.  I think it’s hard to give a low rating when it’s clear you have had and still have a life of suffering from an event that affects almost all aspects of your life leaving you alive but not really living...if that makes sense.

I’m sorry you have gone through this in the first place.  It’s a hard and lonely journey. God bless!