VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What constitutes "minimal hygiene"?

Rate this question

EgregiousError

Question

We've all read the rating schedule a thousand times. It's surprisingly unhelpful, while being so plain. I'm waiting for a rating for (complex)PTSD due to MST. Also have ocd, anxiety, and depression.  I'm a hot mess most days, with a side of soup sandwich.  Thanks to my overwhelming mistrust for the system, I'm having a hard time being patient and not fixating on this. "Will it be 70, will it be 100? If I fit both, they have to err towards the higher..." and on and on. My current hang up is the hygiene thing. 

intermittent inability to perform activities of daily living (including maintenance of minimal personal hygiene)

Is that like getting smelly and gross? Or would weird stuff like bathing half dressed (yes, clothes on under the shower) and only once a week or so, using wipes to stay fresh, neglecting oral hygiene, would those fall into that criteria? Those are my normal weeks. Bad ones, I'm frozen in place and there are no attempts at hygiene. If the stars align, I get a normal... if not thorough shower, usually once a month. That requires a good few days to lead in, my husband to be unobtrusively near by, and occasionally,  still some pharmaceutical aids.

I'm mortified to even see this written here. It gets even worse. I'm not sure what qualifies as grossly innapropriate behavior, but lots of people have readily told me I'm guilty of that.

Thanks

3 hours ago, vetquest said:

If you have problems with hygiene I would still present clean and well dressed.  I would also come with statements from your civilian doctors and your husband as to your issues.  Buddy statements still have impact.  

Thanks.  I'm hearing that self reporting the depth of my issues probably won't be weighed.  The C&P is already done. I am entirely too high strung to have dressed up or down for it. I have exactly three styles. Jeans and t-shirt, pajamas, and funeral. Usually, the first two are a combines. My therapist has said that my issues are outside her purview and that I need to get into a program. She and I are working on keeping me above water. So, it's mentioned in her notes and nexus, but it's not elaborated on, like I did in my original post. That is why I was asking. My husband has offered to submit a statement, but we weren't sure what to include detail on, glance over, or omit. I guess, this one he can cover.

1 hour ago, Michigander said:

Try not to worry too much about the hygiene part.  For my C&p for MST/PTSD I was dressed comfortably in somewhat plain attire with tennis shoes, jogging pants, jacket, hair pulled back, no make up and good hygiene.   I was rated 70% for MST/PTSD.  Yes, I do go most of my day to day without taking care of my appearance or hygiene at times due to my mental state but the examiner would not have known that just by looking at me nor am I aware it’s anything that would stand out in my mental health records (although I’m not sure).  I don’t think you have to hit every single point on the rating schedule to get a high rating...maybe I’m wrong.  

I didn’t have any major breakdown during my exam although I did shed tears and was very anxious talking to the examiner.  

I understand your concern as I was too waiting for my rating, like you I had the police report, mental health record history and dx for PTSD.  I think it’s hard to give a low rating when it’s clear you have had and still have a life of suffering from an event that affects almost all aspects of your life leaving you alive but not really living...if that makes sense.

I’m sorry you have gone through this in the first place.  It’s a hard and lonely journey. God bless!

Thank you.

Respectfully submit: I have worked in health care 21 years - if you go in less than hygienic - you will get a lesser response, as it will come across - MY perspective now.... "attention seeking behavior" and they will lose sight of your real issues. 

Basically stinky ppl get less care & attention . ( no matter what your daily grooming habits are.....) 

1 hour ago, L said:

Respectfully submit: I have worked in health care 21 years - if you go in less than hygienic - you will get a lesser response, as it will come across - MY perspective now.... "attention seeking behavior" and they will lose sight of your real issues. 

Basically stinky ppl get less care & attention . ( no matter what your daily grooming habits are.....) 

That's been my experience.  When I realized that my PTSD symptoms were keeping me from getting care, I got creative.

My husband also neglects any and all hygiene.  What I did is I wrote a statement based on the rating schedule and how I could relate each thing in the 70% range to my husband.  I gave examples of real life instances and I honestly think that helped him get his 70% rating.