VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tricare New Changes cost WAY MORE!!

Grumpbox

Question

Hey folks...I wasn’t sure where to put this, so here goes.

I guess this year, Tricare made some changes. My total pay out is now $3,000.00 before Tricare Insurance starts to kick in.

I am 100% P&T but don’t live close to a VA facility; plus, I have my daughter (16) and wife on my insurance. These amounts are piling up!!!  I called Tricare and they said it doesn’t matter if I am 100% P&T.

Can anyone provide me with some advice.  I’ve got all the Tricare numbers/website, but is there something I am missing being 100% P&T that I am overlooking that could offset these mounting bills???

Many thanks!!

Grumpbox

32 minutes ago, Vync said:

I do not know why you would not be qualified for CHAMPVA. It might be worth the time to dig out your 100% P&T award letter. Granted I am not retired or medically retired, my understanding is that it is a benefit for just being 100% P&T. It should cover your dependents.

If you are having medical bills pile up for yourself, the Choice Program or fee-based care should be able to help. I'm not certain if they can be paid retroactively, but it might be able to save you money for future treatment.

@Vync Sitting here staring at my 100 P&T award letter buddy...even told the lady at Champva the same thing.  I even went a step further and called the VA Health Care Law number: 1-877-222-VETS (8387). From here a well-versed in VA knowledge guy told me that my family WAS eligible for Champva.  I told him how the Champva rep said that I would have to dis-enroll my family from Tricare.....submit an application for them through Champva, then (and only then) would a finally determination be made to see if my family qualifies for Champva.  My thoughts were: Well, what about in the meantime - what if something happens to either of them????

Something here is not right...

Thanks though for the heads up on the Choice Program!!

Grumpbox 

I was told by Medicare on the phone that you can't have CHAMPVA and TRICARE Prime at the same time. I plan to visit both for a detailed explanation. 

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

It looks like @EODCMC might be correct. I found this on the CHAMPVA site. However, it makes no sense for Tricare coverage to be inferior to CHAMPVA. I wonder if there might be any special provisions in Tricare for 100% P&T veterans which might help you out...

https://www.va.gov/COMMUNITYCARE/programs/dependents/champva/CHAMPVA_faq.asp#Q7

Who is eligible for CHAMPVA?

To be eligible for CHAMPVA, the beneficiary cannot be eligible for TRICARE. CHAMPVA provides coverage to the spouse or widow(er) and to the children of a Veteran who:

• is rated permanently and totally disabled due to a service-connected disability, or
  • was rated permanently and totally disabled due to a service-connected condition at the time of death, or
  • died of a service-connected disability, or
  • died on active duty and the dependents are not otherwise eligible for Department of Defense TRICARE benefits.

Effective October 1, 2001, CHAMPVA benefits were extended to those age 65 and older. To be eligible for CHAMPVA, you must also meet the following conditions:

• If the beneficiary was 65 or older prior to June 5, 2001, and was otherwise eligible for CHAMPVA, and was entitled to Medicare Part A coverage, then the beneficiary will be eligible for CHAMPVA without having to have Medicare Part B coverage.
  • If the beneficiary turned 65 before June 5, 2001, and has Medicare Parts A and B, the beneficiary must keep both Medicare Parts A & B to be eligible for CHAMPVA.
  • If the beneficiary turned age 65 on or after June 5, 2001, the beneficiary must be enrolled in Medicare Parts A and B to be eligible for CHAMPVA.

Edited by Vync

• HadIt.com Elder

It is true a Veteran/dependents  can't use ChampVA & Tri-Care at the same time.

My spouse was on ChampVA right after I was  IU P&T. in 2002  the VAMC had the CITI program going at that time  which is now ''closed to Veterans dependents ( but does just General health care)'' it was for Veterans family/spouses,but was closed out due to  all the Gulf War Vets returning home with  health problems.

The VA  Hospital did triple  heart bypass on her in 2005  she was age 50 then...now she is 63 and on SSD and uses medicare and Champva..when she turns 65 then she enrolls in the tricare tri-care will be secondary and medicare will be primary As I understand it...but she knows what to do and who to call   ChampVA if she has a question  Glen Johnson (head honcho) at ChampVA   is who she usually calls for help when the ChampVA Clerks cant help or know how to answer a question.

Edited by Buck52

1 hour ago, EODCMC said:

I was told by Medicare on the phone that you can't have CHAMPVA and TRICARE Prime at the same time. I plan to visit both for a detailed explanation. 

YES!!!  You are dead on! Its either or...

1 hour ago, Vync said:

It looks like @EODCMC might be correct. I found this on the CHAMPVA site. However, it makes no sense for Tricare coverage to be inferior to CHAMPVA. I wonder if there might be any special provisions in Tricare for 100% P&T veterans which might help you out...

https://www.va.gov/COMMUNITYCARE/programs/dependents/champva/CHAMPVA_faq.asp#Q7

@Vync Hey man...I even called Tricare.  They gave two hoots when I told them I was 100 P&T; plus, they said there are no extra incentives if you are 100% P&T.  Uh? I said, followed by some uncouth words mumbled under my breathe...