VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tricare New Changes cost WAY MORE!!

Grumpbox

Question

Hey folks...I wasn’t sure where to put this, so here goes.

I guess this year, Tricare made some changes. My total pay out is now $3,000.00 before Tricare Insurance starts to kick in.

I am 100% P&T but don’t live close to a VA facility; plus, I have my daughter (16) and wife on my insurance. These amounts are piling up!!!  I called Tricare and they said it doesn’t matter if I am 100% P&T.

Can anyone provide me with some advice.  I’ve got all the Tricare numbers/website, but is there something I am missing being 100% P&T that I am overlooking that could offset these mounting bills???

Many thanks!!

Grumpbox

49 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

It is true a Veteran/dependents  can't use ChampVA & Tri-Care at the same time.

My spouse was on ChampVA right after I was  IU P&T. in 2002  the VAMC had the CITI program going at that time  which is now ''closed to Veterans dependents ( but does just General health care)'' it was for Veterans family/spouses,but was closed out due to  all the Gulf War Vets returning home with  health problems.

The VA  Hospital did triple  heart bypass on her in 2005  she was age 50 then...now she is 63 and on SSD and uses medicare and Champva..when she turns 65 then she enrolls in the tricare tri-care will be secondary and medicare will be primary As I understand it...but she knows what to do and who to call   ChampVA if she has a question  Glen Johnson (head honcho) at ChampVA   is who she usually calls for help when the ChampVA Clerks cant help or know how to answer a question.

OLE @Buck52 !!!  I'm all fine with your point: You can't have both, but my questions follow:

1. Since I am 100% P&T, arent my dependents supposed to be eligible for Champva???

The simple answer is: Yes. However, today, I was told otherwise.  I was told despite me being 100% P&T, my dependents DO NOT qualify for Champva...WHY: Because I retired from the US Army.  Medically Retirement, actually. Even Champva was stumped by this..

Next Question

2. Why the double Standard....why does it say if you are retired, a service member is Ineligible for Champva???

3. If I renounce my Tricare for my dependents, THEN can they be eligible for Champva???

It sounds like Champva and tricare have been trained by the VA and want to confuse Vets.  They got the job done.  Maybe you should write a letter to head honcho and thank them for confusing the issues like VA..it makes your dependents feel right at home, since VA is an expert at confusion.  

• HadIt.com Elder

Who is eligible for CHAMPVA? To be eligible for CHAMPVA, the beneficiary cannot be eligible for TRICARE. CHAMPVA provides coverage to the spouse or widow(er) and to the children of a Veteran who: is rated permanently and totally disabled due to a service-connected disability.

What is the difference between TRICARE and CHAMPVA?

Civilian Health and Medical Program of the Department of Veterans Affairs (CHAMPVA) covers veterans' families not eligible for TRICARE who are:

Dependents of veterans who have a 100 percent permanent disability received while on active duty

Dependents of veterans who died from a disability received while on active duty

TRICARE and CHAMPVA are often confused with each other, but they are completely separate programs. The Department of Veterans Affairs administers CHAMPVA. To learn more about CHAMPVA, please call 1-800-733-8387.

1 minute ago, broncovet said:

It sounds like Champva and tricare have been trained by the VA and want to confuse Vets.  They got the job done.  Maybe you should write a letter to head honcho and thank them for confusing the issues like VA..it makes your dependents feel right at home, since VA is an expert at confusion.  

@broncovet Yep - you got that right!!!  Regarding a letter - to be honest - I wouldn't even know what to say, where to send it, or go about handling this...I just hate being handed off to various people that only make you tell your story from the start.

• HadIt.com Elder

Grumpbox   you need to call Glen Johnson  at ChampVA  He can Answer all your questions!

3 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

Grumpbox   you need to call Glen Johnson  at ChampVA  He can Answer all your questions!

@Buck52 Yep - a POC would be awesome!!!  But there is only one number for Champva. Plus, it sends you to one of the low level workers.  Would happen to have his number or know a way to reach him, personally????

Thanks Buck!!