VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tricare New Changes cost WAY MORE!!

Grumpbox

Question

Hey folks...I wasn’t sure where to put this, so here goes.

I guess this year, Tricare made some changes. My total pay out is now $3,000.00 before Tricare Insurance starts to kick in.

I am 100% P&T but don’t live close to a VA facility; plus, I have my daughter (16) and wife on my insurance. These amounts are piling up!!!  I called Tricare and they said it doesn’t matter if I am 100% P&T.

Can anyone provide me with some advice.  I’ve got all the Tricare numbers/website, but is there something I am missing being 100% P&T that I am overlooking that could offset these mounting bills???

Many thanks!!

Grumpbox

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

@Buck52

I wish the work credits factor had an exemption for veterans with a 100% rating.

@Grumpbox

Keep in mind I don't know much about PH, but in my opinion, injuries incurred by an IED blast should qualify for PH.

This article is about seven years old and might be beneficial:

https://www.npr.org/2011/03/17/134604533/army-revising-purple-heart-rules-for-soldiers

1 hour ago, Vync said:

@Buck52

I wish the work credits factor had an exemption for veterans with a 100% rating.

@Grumpbox

Keep in mind I don't know much about PH, but in my opinion, injuries incurred by an IED blast should qualify for PH.

This article is about seven years old and might be beneficial:

https://www.npr.org/2011/03/17/134604533/army-revising-purple-heart-rules-for-soldiers

@Vync  Hey bro...thanks for the article!!! Good Read!  I actually met Gen. Peter Chiarelli while deployed; he pinned an award on me for something I did...just can't remember now.  He seemed like a good dude.

As one can see, varying opinions perpetuate around what it really takes to "EARN" a Purple Heart.  Just like in this article, we see how many commanders deployed vary in the views' of this award.  Keep in mind, this article was written in 2011, which was almost seven years from when I arrived boots on the ground in Iraq (2005).  Therefore, one can only imagine how many Soldiers received a PH for an IED.

I am not saying these acts of awarding the PH was wrong.  Who am I to judge or dictate how the Army maintains it regulations, guidelines, and pamphlets. It just wasn't my style as a leader to look (or hint for receiving one) after I suffered a major IED and got a concussion.  I got my helmet and wrist GPS knocked off and my weapon flew out of my hand.  All I remember is dangling in the hull of my commander hatch.  The next thing I realized was one of my squad leaders screaming at me and yanked me back inside the Stryker.  I had other Soldiers banged up that day too, but I was going to see that they got a PH before I did.  I guess its something to do with being hardheaded, leading from the front, or just taking care of the joes.  I don't know but its over now, and I am just lucky to be alive, so that's good enough for me.       

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

@Grumpbox

Yeah, that was a bit of an old document. I didn't have time to research further and figured it would be a good start.

Your approach sounds reasonable.

After serving five years, I have seen a lot of other soldiers get shafted out of earned awards due to leaders who were either naive or had a chip on their shoulder. In the case of awards like the PH, there are additional benefits at the state level. The benefits vary by state. Might be worth researching...

4 hours ago, Vync said:

@Grumpbox

Yeah, that was a bit of an old document. I didn't have time to research further and figured it would be a good start.

Your approach sounds reasonable.

After serving five years, I have seen a lot of other soldiers get shafted out of earned awards due to leaders who were either naive or had a chip on their shoulder. In the case of awards like the PH, there are additional benefits at the state level. The benefits vary by state. Might be worth researching...

@Vync I hear ya on all that!!  Thanks again for the article and chiming in on the discussion!!

On 4/26/2018 at 3:51 PM, Grumpbox said:

Hey folks...I wasn’t sure where to put this, so here goes.

I guess this year, Tricare made some changes. My total pay out is now $3,000.00 before Tricare Insurance starts to kick in.

I am 100% P&T but don’t live close to a VA facility; plus, I have my daughter (16) and wife on my insurance. These amounts are piling up!!!  I called Tricare and they said it doesn’t matter if I am 100% P&T.

Can anyone provide me with some advice.  I’ve got all the Tricare numbers/website, but is there something I am missing being 100% P&T that I am overlooking that could offset these mounting bills???

Many thanks!!

Grumpbox

Since you have tricare,  you must be retired. Since you are 100%, I assume you are also on Social Security Disability, and are paying for Medicare. If you have both Medicare and Tricare, you should not be paying any copays.

I am retired since 1999, I am also on social security with Medicare, ( you have to take Medicare or you lose tricare) ... I have never paid a co-pay....

9 hours ago, Richard1954 said:

Since you have tricare,  you must be retired. Since you are 100%, I assume you are also on Social Security Disability, and are paying for Medicare. If you have both Medicare and Tricare, you should not be paying any copays.

I am retired since 1999, I am also on social security with Medicare, ( you have to take Medicare or you lose tricare) ... I have never paid a co-pay....

@Richard1954  Yes...I have Tricare being that I am Medically Retired from the US Army with 20+ years. 

Collecting SSD? No...I was just awarded 100% P&T this April; therefore, it was then that I was aware I could dip from this pool of benefits.  Speaking of SSD and electing this, I have my reservations about receiving this benefit.  I just don't feel it is right for me to do so; however, there is another side of me that since my 100% P&T award, I have heavily debating pursuing it.

I checked with the SSA yesterday and my "Date Last Insured" is 31 Dec 2018.  In short, I've got until the last day of this year to apply for SSD, if I elect this option.  

I have contacted an attorney and awaiting a reply.  Receptionist said due to all my conditions, they could get me the SSD.  However, I still have many questions/concerns I want to ask them before I apply.