VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Retirees NOT eligible for ChampVA

Grumpbox

Question

@Tbird

Ms. Tbird - this morning I personally spoke with, Mr. Glenn Johnson from the VA.  He is an expert in the arena of ChampVA, and I believe the ChampVa PAO.  I thought you might want to add this information I learned from him, but I was unsure where you'd prefer to have it listed. 

Recently, I became 100% P&T.  As we all know, one of the many benefits with being 100% is the ChampVa.  However, there is a catch to this that Mr. Johnson brought to my attention.  ChampVa is NOT available to Retirees, per Mr. Johnson.  You see, ChampVa nor the VA could give me a concrete answer for my situation.  The VA kept saying I was eligible; however, ChampVa personnel was unsure.  And just forget about calling Tricare for clarity....  

The bottom line is that if any veteran is retired or medically retired (such as me) - TRICARE is the only option.  Even if a retiree wants to denounce Tricare - ChampVa is still not an option.  

I just thought others in the future might search for this question that perplexed me and others on Hadit.com for so long.

Keep up the good work, Tbird!!

Grumpbox

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

This is great news for retirees, which I already understood.

Tricare is a benefit you earned and cannot lose unless the premium is required / left unpaid. 

ChampVA is a part of the awarded system - can be lost.... if decreased in rating.  

Who is eligible for Champva insurance?
To be eligible for CHAMPVA, an individual cannot be eligible for TRICARE (the medical program for civilian dependents provided by DOD) and must be one of the following: The spouse or child of a veteran who VA has rated permanently and totally disabled for a service-connected disability.Apr 5, 2012 source citation : google

Edited by L
addendum of wisdom....

Well, based on this information (info), I have no decision to make. I am required to use Tricare. Can You tell me where this info is referenced from? It's dated in 2012.

Edited by EODCMC

@EODCMC Citation is at the end of post.... one simple search...

@Brocovet Indeed... Wisdom... 🙂

Edited by L

It doesn't serve as a link for me and when I Google "Apr 5, 2012 source citation" , it doesn't provide the source...not readily anyway. No matter.