VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Taking a rating back

Rate this question

Rhodesia

Question

Hello I had a 40% rating then was award a 30% to add to that 40 % rating which would have come out to 60% The VA said that since I had a full knee replacement I no longer get the 20% for knee pain and scars so my rating remains the same 40% so this is what I was told this morning by the VA online Chat she later responded that I can confirmed this with a lawyer if I wanted to and he would tell you the VA can take back rating even if they are over 5 years old because she said that if you have a service connected disability that was corrected then your rating will be reduced or zeroed out  This is from the chat this morning: Evaluation of left total knee replacement, previously s/p surgical left knee with bicompartment DJD, ACL insufficiency, meniscus disease and surgical scars, currently 20 percent disabling, is increased to 100 percent November 29, 2016, and 30 percent effective January 1, 2018.

So can anyone confirm this for me? 

Edited by Rhodesia

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Pay attention to the last paragraph.  The VA can take away "temporary" ratings, or those under 5 years, fairly easily..they dont have to follow the first 2 paragraphs.  So, yes if they give you a temp 100 percent rating, they can take that away in a year or so.  

But those over 5 years, or "P and T", then they have a lot of rules which prevents them from taking your rating back.  

I have never heard of someone with a knee replacement getting their rating taken away, because they had improvement with a fake knee.  Gee, thats like telling a guy who lost 2 legs...we will take your rating away now, because you are getting around fine on your wooden legs.   No.