VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

TDIU EFFECTIVE DATE

Rate this question

Michaelreconscout

Question

This is a tricky brain buster.  I need all the help I can get, any recommendations are welcome!  

So this is a complex case.  I am about to receive a decision for a TDIU claim that I filed 3/2018.   I have alot of evidence, a good C&P exam for once, and a professional vocational evaluation, so I am thinking things are looking ok, but I know with the VA anything can happen, and ive seen it.  I am currently 80% combined (70% PTSD, 10%back, 10% knee, 10%tinnitus, 0%tbi) effective date 3/2005.  In 2008 I filled out a va form 21-8940, and filed for TDIU, (I was still 80%) combined.  This is what happened:

On November 8, 2007 my disability rating was a combined 80%(70%PTSD), I submitted a claim for increased evaluation based on individual unemployabilty.  “At the general rating exam the examiner said, you are prevented from working a position which would require long peroids of sitting or any lifting of any significant weight estimated at more than 10 lbs; however you could be employed in a sedentary position.  At the raiting for PTSD, the examiner said that you are unemployable due to your PTSD symptoms.  “(C-FILE).  My claim for increased evaluation based on induvial unemployabilty was denied. The VA proposed to reduce my PTSD disability from 70%-50% at the same time my claim for increased evaluation based on individual unemployabilty was made, this “proposal” was then used to make me “ineligible for making a TDIU claim”.  

“Based on your claim, we requested examination of your service connected disabilities for possible increased evaluation.  Based on the results of the examinations, we have proposed to reduce three of your evaluations for a combined evaluation of 60 percent.  Based on the results of the proposed reduction, you will not meet the criteria for entitlement to increased compensation based on unemployabilty in the absence of single disability evaluated 60 percent disabling, or a combined 70 percent disabling, with at least one disability evaluated 40 percent disabling. (C-FILE)”

On May 9, 2008, after closer review the VA proposed to continue my PTSD rating of 70%, with the original effective date June 5, 2005. Since the VA was required to, but did not forward to the veteran a TDIU application form 21-8940, the one year filing period for such an application did not begin to run. Thus, as a matter of law, the inferred claim submitted prior to the date of the formal TDIU application must be accepted as the date of claim for effective purposes. [38 C.F.R §3.155 (a)]

The VA will require that a veteran complete and submit a VA Form 21-8940 before it will formally pay a claim for TDIU benefits.  However, a veteran is not required to file this application form before the VA is obligated to consider and adjudicate a TDIU claim. When a veteran files an original claim for evaluation of a disability or a claim for an increase in the evaluation of a disability that has already been rated by the VA, the claimant is generally presumed to be seeking the highest benefit allowable.  [AB v. Brown, 6 Vet. App. 35, 38 (1983)] If either claim includes facts that indicate that the veteran is unemployable, the VA is obligated to consider and adjudicate a TDIU claim. [Collier v. Derwinski, 2 Vet App. 27=47, 251 (1992)]

After looking over my old claims files I found that the VA screwed me in 2008.  

Since the VA never sent me a form 21-8940 after they proposed to leave my PTSD at 70%,  and had knowledge from the C&P exam that I was unemployable,  my claim for TDIU was never properly adjudicated.  I believe this means that my effective date for PTSD/TDIU should go back to where the VA first learned I was unemployable due to PTSD.  They never sent me a form 21-8940. EVER

any suggestions/recommendations are WELCOME

Thank you for your service!

2 hours ago, pwrslm said:

It might fly as a clear and indisputable error (CUE) because they denied the TDIU based on a reduction that never occured. I do not think they could give a valid response to a request for TDIU until your rating was determined. The basis for denial was clearly erroneous.

(see a lawyer, backpay on this should be enough to get them to carry this for you no charge)

Thank you I agree I dont want to use the CUE until last option, I would like to reopen, or like the gentleman mention earlier, file for a NOD once approved for TDIU on the effective date, and let them have it!

On 5/4/2018 at 2:32 PM, Michaelreconscout said:

This is a tricky brain buster.  I need all the help I can get, any recommendations are welcome!  

So this is a complex case.  I am about to receive a decision for a TDIU claim that I filed 3/2018.   I have alot of evidence, a good C&P exam for once, and a professional vocational evaluation, so I am thinking things are looking ok, but I know with the VA anything can happen, and ive seen it.  I am currently 80% combined (70% PTSD, 10%back, 10% knee, 10%tinnitus, 0%tbi) effective date 3/2005.  In 2008 I filled out a va form 21-8940, and filed for TDIU, (I was still 80%) combined.  This is what happened:

I can't help but wonder how any one gets 0% for a TBI. I went in for a C/P exam on my TBI and answered a few questions  and was awarded 40%.  It was the easiest c/p I had ever attended, in fact thinking back if I had worded a few of my answers differently  I am confident I would have been rated even higher. Anyway....

I don't think there is any CUE, the va proposed to reduce your disability for PTSD,  and denied your claim for TDIU on 8 Nov 2007.   Then it appears a new claim was opened in May 2008, .  and  they decided not to reduce the rating of PTSD 70%.   Previously they said that you could perform sedentary work,  they apparently decided that you did not meet the requirements of TDIU, and therefore they are not obligated to send you any forms.   Did they reduce any ratings at all? 

Now at one point you said that the PTSD examiner said you could not work, but they also said you could perform sedentary work.. Very confusing. 

Seems like some information is missing?

How may rating decisions did this entail ?

Edited by Richard1954
add info

R-1954, TBI's unless Severe Scaring or Dents, is currently Rated for directly associated MH and Physical  Residuals currently DX'd , what exactly did yourTBI Award Letter assign the 40% SC too?

Any chance of posting a redacted copy of the C & P TBI DBQ and Award letter, could be very informative?

3 hours ago, Richard1954 said:

I can't help but wonder how any one gets 0% for a TBI. I went in for a C/P exam on my TBI and answered a few questions  and was awarded 40%.  It was the easiest c/p I had ever attended, in fact thinking back if I had worded a few of my answers differently  I am confident I would have been rated even higher. Anyway....

I don't think there is any CUE, the va proposed to reduce your disability for PTSD,  and denied your claim for TDIU on 8 Nov 2007.   Then it appears a new claim was opened in May 2008, .  and  they decided not to reduce the rating of PTSD 70%.   Previously they said that you could perform sedentary work,  they apparently decided that you did not meet the requirements of TDIU, and therefore they are not obligated to send you any forms.   Did they reduce any ratings at all? 

Now at one point you said that the PTSD examiner said you could not work, but they also said you could perform sedentary work.. Very confusing. 

Seems like some information is missing?

How may rating decisions did this entail ?

The TBI is something entirely different. Sorry I wish my wording was as good as yours, I have even had poly trauma treatment from the VA for tbi and documentation of explosions/injuries from.   I am gonna leave that be for now.

this was all one original claim in 11/2007 I applied for an increase in PTSD(70%) and TDIU

the VA proposed to reduce my 70% PTSD rating to 50%, they said this would make me NOT eligible for entitlement to TDIU(you need to have 70%).

The VA then said that they will not reduce my PTSD.  They never adjicuated my claim for TDIU, to the End product.  they never sent me a 21-8194 even though I have been eligible for TDIU since 2007

this is all 1 rating decision

On 5/7/2018 at 2:32 PM, Gastone said:

R-1954, TBI's unless Severe Scaring or Dents, is currently Rated for directly associated MH and Physical  Residuals currently DX'd , what exactly did yourTBI Award Letter assign the 40% SC too?

Any chance of posting a redacted copy of the C & P TBI DBQ and Award letter, could be very informative?

8045 TBI w/memory loss & Encephalomalcia ( brain damage)

40% from 09/20/2016

thrown our of a military Jeep in 1975 while moving  hitting head and being unconscious for 3.5 days

Sorry it takes to much time and effort to redact, copy and post so this will have to do....

(Notice the award date... now I have a claim for cue to go back to 1986 when it should have been awarded)

Edited by Richard1954

Can you post a redacted copy of 1986 related Award/Denial Letter? What did the VA miss regarding the EED that you're CUEing?