• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• Trouble Remembering? This helped me.

I have memory problems and as some of you may know I highly recommend Evernote and have for years. Though I've found that writing helps me remember more. I ran across Tom's videos on youtube, I'm a bit geeky and I also use an IPad so if you take notes on your IPad or you are thinking of going paperless check it out. I'm really happy with it, I use it with a program called Noteshelf 2.

Click here to purchase your digital journal. HadIt.com receives a commission on each purchase.

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sign in to follow this  
Rakkasan

PTSD Does Not Cause Migraines

Question

So I received the notes today from my migraine C&P. Under the remarks at the end he says that my migraines are less likely as not due to or the result of PTSD. His rational is: PTSD does not cause tension headache or migraine headache. Also states that "He is not on any medication for headache." I am prescribed Sumatriptan by the VA!

I know several people who have migraines secondary to PTSD but the real kicker is that I am not claiming migraines to PTSD. I am claiming secondary to anxiety. I even had a nexus written by my neurologist stating that my migraines are connected to my anxiety. I am not for sure the C&P examiner had access to my nexus that I submitted. Am I screwed?

Edited by Rakkasan

1 hour ago, Rakkasan said:

I am 70% PTSD and 60% GERD. The thing with your research that you provided is that my neurologist put sources in his Nexus that link migraines and PTSD. My claim was sitting at Preparation for Decision until the a couple days after this report and is now back to gathering of evidence. I am hoping that someone noticed how terrible that report looked and has decided on ordering another one or at least get clarification on these issues.

Did you see the Neurologist before or after the C&P?  I will assume after.

If your claim was at the, "Preparation for Decision" phase and then went back to, "Gathering of Evidence" this is a GOOD thing!  I see this from personal experience...here is why. Although, this is just my opinion.

Your VA Reviewer that is ultimately handling your case, might have noticed a hiccup in the process.  For example, this reviewer might have seen the notes from the Neurologist and put two and two together.  Meaning, its not ready for a decision. Why, because maybe there is another C&P required.  This is what happened to me.

I was up for my five year PTSD Review. At the time I was 100%.  When I completed my C&P for my initial PTSD, I noticed the doctor never checked my records...HOW DO I KNOW? Because he didn't check TBI nor did he checked other mental issues/illnesses.  Here's a prime example of how waiting to see what happens plays to your favor.  A few weeks pass and I get a call for a TBI C&P and it was with a Neurologist.  She did her tests and asked me specific questions, as to the DBQ for TBI.  As a result, she recommended an increase in my Post Concussion Headaches award and acknowledged my TBI....FINALLY - after many years coupled with loss of money!

This prompted me to yet again, another C&P - this time for another PTSD C&P.  When I arrived to this one, the lady doctor apologized for all that had occurred and how the previous doctor failed to not only review my records, but how he failed to list other mental/illnesses (TBI).  I could hardly believe that right in front of me, here is a doctor from the VA apologizing about another doctor's inadequacies.  In the end, VA found me 100% P&T.  

Most noteworthy....I never inquired, called, raised hell, or filed any kind of complaint or additional claims. I was calm, always thanked everyone, tried to answer my questions to the best of knowledge (which is a negative factor for me.)  In the end, I just let it ride.

I am glad I did for two reasons: 1) if I had tried to fight the system while it pursued, I might have knocked my fate off course; and, 2) even if I had tried to argue or file another claim during the whole process, I wouldn't be able to see the final reason from the VA ---  "WHY" they denied me various disabilities. (NOTE/DISCLAIMER: THIS DOES NOT ALWAYS APPLY FOR EVERY VETERAN'S SITUATION.)  What I mean is this.  Once they finish with your claim, they will send you documentation describing the WHY.  This WHY  is your NEW TACTIC to take in order to debunk the VA's reason for denying your claim(s).  It gives you the next direction to take - that's all I am trying to say; however, without this form of intel, you have zero information in order to develop your next future move.  Like chess - I suppose...

I'd be curious to see what happens next after the, "Gathering of Evidence."  Please keep us updated so we can guide you, accordingly. 

GB

• Like 1

Actually my neurologist saw me and wrote my Nexus BEFORE my C&P exam. This is what is so frustrating that he should have r as my file but he clearly has not.

An addendum has been ordered last week. This seems like good news that they noticed ththat discrepancies. Will keep updating this thread.

On 5/12/2018 at 2:01 PM, Grumpbox said:

Did you see the Neurologist before or after the C&P?  I will assume after.

If your claim was at the, "Preparation for Decision" phase and then went back to, "Gathering of Evidence" this is a GOOD thing!  I see this from personal experience...here is why. Although, this is just my opinion.

Your VA Reviewer that is ultimately handling your case, might have noticed a hiccup in the process.  For example, this reviewer might have seen the notes from the Neurologist and put two and two together.  Meaning, its not ready for a decision. Why, because maybe there is another C&P required.  This is what happened to me.

I was up for my five year PTSD Review. At the time I was 100%.  When I completed my C&P for my initial PTSD, I noticed the doctor never checked my records...HOW DO I KNOW? Because he didn't check TBI nor did he checked other mental issues/illnesses.  Here's a prime example of how waiting to see what happens plays to your favor.  A few weeks pass and I get a call for a TBI C&P and it was with a Neurologist.  She did her tests and asked me specific questions, as to the DBQ for TBI.  As a result, she recommended an increase in my Post Concussion Headaches award and acknowledged my TBI....FINALLY - after many years coupled with loss of money!

This prompted me to yet again, another C&P - this time for another PTSD C&P.  When I arrived to this one, the lady doctor apologized for all that had occurred and how the previous doctor failed to not only review my records, but how he failed to list other mental/illnesses (TBI).  I could hardly believe that right in front of me, here is a doctor from the VA apologizing about another doctor's inadequacies.  In the end, VA found me 100% P&T.  

Most noteworthy....I never inquired, called, raised hell, or filed any kind of complaint or additional claims. I was calm, always thanked everyone, tried to answer my questions to the best of knowledge (which is a negative factor for me.)  In the end, I just let it ride.

I am glad I did for two reasons: 1) if I had tried to fight the system while it pursued, I might have knocked my fate off course; and, 2) even if I had tried to argue or file another claim during the whole process, I wouldn't be able to see the final reason from the VA ---  "WHY" they denied me various disabilities. (NOTE/DISCLAIMER: THIS DOES NOT ALWAYS APPLY FOR EVERY VETERAN'S SITUATION.)  What I mean is this.  Once they finish with your claim, they will send you documentation describing the WHY.  This WHY  is your NEW TACTIC to take in order to debunk the VA's reason for denying your claim(s).  It gives you the next direction to take - that's all I am trying to say; however, without this form of intel, you have zero information in order to develop your next future move.  Like chess - I suppose...

I'd be curious to see what happens next after the, "Gathering of Evidence."  Please keep us updated so we can guide you, accordingly. 

GB

Here is the copy of the addendum that was sent in to the VA in Evansville.

ELECTRONIC CLAIMS FOLDER AVAILABLE.
CLAIMS FILE BEING SENT FOR REVIEW BY THE EXAMINER. RXXX TXXXXXX
xxx-xx-xx72

Date of claim: 03/14/2018 Days pending: 58

Attention C&P clinical staff - This exam request was scheduled at your location because this is an addendum request for an exam completed at your facility.
These remarks were generated using version 4.0 of the Exam Request Builder (ERB_v_4.0).

The Veteran does NOT need to report for the following exam(s):

DBQ NEURO Headaches (including migraine headaches) ____________________________________________________________________________

Active duty service dates:

Branch: Army
EOD: 05/25/2004
RAD: 05/25/2012
***Addendum only***
***Veteran need not report***
DBQ NEURO Headaches (including migraine headaches):

Please ha
ve examiner Hxxxxx Oxxxxxx, MD provide an addendum to the examination he conducted on the Veteran on 05/07/2018.

Please review the Veteran's electronic folder in VBMS and state that it was reviewed in your report.
Please provide the following clarification:
Examiner, the Veteran was diagnosed with both tension and migraine/migraine

TXXXXXXXX RXXXX SXXXXX CONFIDENTIAL Page 9 of 9

variants headaches. The DBQs both private and VAMC provided only opine on tension headaches. Please review all evidence and opine with supporting rationale.

Please direct any questions regarding this request to:

477 Michigan Ave
Detroit, MI 48226
Email: XXXXXXX@va.gov

Examiner, the Veteran was diagnosed with both tension and migraine/migraine variants headaches. The DBQs both private and VAMC provided only opine on tension headaches. Please review all evidence and opine with supporting rationale.

The diagnosis of "TANSION HEADACHE" is recorded in Problem list of CPRS, but the
veteran is on
SUMATRIPTAN SUCCINATE 100MG TAB TAKE ONE TABLET BY ACTIVE

MOUTH AS INSTRUCTED FOR MIGRAINE. TAKE AT ONSET OF HEADACHE. MAY REPEAT AFTER 2 HOURS (CHOICE RX) NOT TO EXCEED 2 TABLETS IN 24 HOURS OR 4 TABLETS PER WEEK

which is being prescribes for Migrain headache on 16 Feb 2018 by neurologist located at /carbondale, IL.

His diagnosis: Migraine with aura.

/es/ , MD MD
Signed: 05/17/2018 15:50

Receipt Acknowledged By: * AWAITING SIGNATURE *

* AWAITING SIGNATURE *

It looks like someone finally saw the error.  Hopefully, they will reevaluate their decision for your rating/amount of percentage.  

I noticed there was only one page here.....it was page 9 of 9??  Where is your entire addendum? This might shed more light on a rating??