VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Shoulder fired weapons and TBI

Rate this question

WillyP

Question

I am SC connected at 30% for a couple issues. I have not filed a claim in years. A fellow Marine sent this article from the Military times. I find myself with most of the symptoms mentioned in the article but just summed it up to being older etc. My MOS was 0351 SMAW gunner. Anyone else here with similar MOS with some of the symptoms mention in the article below?

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2018/05/01/shoulder-fired-weapons-can-cause-traumatic-brain-injuries-study-finds/

Edited by WillyP
spelling

1 answer to this question

@WillyP Read your article.  Unsure where I find my opinion on this data.  I, myself, have fired numerous types of shoulder-fired (and sitting fired) munitions.  These range from the LAW, AT4, and the old Dragon system.  To add, the M2 Browning .50cal can really cause shock waves internally. The first three types I mentioned occurred back in the 90s, and I can't remember the intensity of the shock wave; however, I can remember the M2 and the affect it had on me internally. 

I (and others possibly) would be interested in your other SC conditions.  Especially, if one of these is PTSD; however, with a 30% rating, I assume there is no PTSD. 

This is the first I've heard of TBI being linked to this type of practice/training.  I am not saying its not justified; I'm just saying its the first I've heard of it, and looks to be difficult to get a rating.  THAT IS....unless - one's medical record reflects numerous complaints of TBI symptoms or residuals during one's military career.  It all begins with the proof inside the pudding.  

Ever had any situations where you went to the medics for these complaints??