VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

80% disability, should I file for TDIU?

Rate this question

kidhuff3

Question

So I am receiving 70% for social anxiety disorder and unspecified depressive disorder, totaling 80%. I am finding it harder and harder to find and keep a full time job in my career field. I currently work part time in another field, making far less than I would if I were working in my field, and it is directly related to my social anxiety disorder. Im thinking of filing for TDIU, but from what i hear they look over my whole situation and it would be a disaster if they lower my rating for any reason, but I think I have a valid reason for filing for TDIU. I am a certified surgical tech, so obviously that requires a high level of social interaction, which is the problem.

Should I file for TDIU, or just leave it alone because a reduction would be devastating to my finances right now. What are the odds of reduction? 

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

If you absolutely can't work due to your S.C. Social anxiety  and  unspecific depressive disorders @80% and you have a medical opinion from a qualified Dr to state such  & letter from your employer saying why they had to let you go ect,,ect,,,  you can file for the IU  you need to file for it  VA will not inferre it  ..and your not working now  ect,,,ect,,

Did the VA do a DSM 5 PTSD Testing/screening on you? 

you can only be rated for one mental condition for compensation purposes  but have other diagnoses with MH. 

PTSD is usually what veterans get because of their symptoms and the severity of them.  /combat stressors  or a markers that can cause or be related to the PTSD its self. you will need proof of your stressors and a VA PTSD Diagnosis.  (Remember only a Diagnosis from the VA) & Not Private. 

However, you need to think long and hard about this...> or get into treatment and see how treatment is for you  with medications and therapy...b/c getting IU at the 100% rate with one dependent  is not a high income level. around 38.000/ 40.000/50.000 with SSD Yearly...Unless you qualify for the SMCs?

It pays the Bills at my house but that's bout  all.

I could have made 3 times the amount TDIU / P&T Pays.....The Property tax Exemption is nice and truly helps out on the monthly mortgage ,  but if you can still work  and get into treatment And it Helps you Cope..> I'd sure try that first.

For Me,

Since I can't do any kind/type of employment due to my S.C. Conditions  I considered my self lucky to get the VA Compensation and S.S.

Don't take me wrong  I appreciate all I get &  Even though the entitlement to these benefits are nice for us Veterans  it still don't pay enough as to what most of us  had the potential of making.

YOU KEEP YOUR 80% COMP AND STILL WORK...if you get the IU based off the 80% using the 4.16 extra scheduler rating  you can't work Period & You will need to send in the Employment Questionnaire Ever Year usually on your award anniversary date. 

I wish I could still work...so think about it long and hard.

Good Luck

Edited by Buck52

I agree with buck that you need to think long and hard about it.  I lost my job due to my service connected disabilities but had to go to the BVA and two remands to get my benefits.  That took ten years while I was not working.  It can be a very frustrating and difficult road to go down.  I agree with buck that I wish I could still work.

Hi Kidhuff,

I would start with the VR&E program. The worse thing that could happen is they send you to school for the next 4 years to get a new degree under Chapter 31, which allows 750/mo for housing and living expense. Not a ton of cash but its a future. If you have the CH 35 option, they will give you E-5 housing allowance, which is quite a bit more than the Ch 31 stipend. Need the 9-11 GI Bill to get it.

If they reject you as unemployable, then you have very strong grounds to claim TDIU. They will do an assessment for employability and if they determine that your anxiety and depressive disorders prevent you from being gainfully employed they will not allow you into the rehab program.