VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Superimposed ischemia

Rate this question

jfrei

Question

Has anyone heard of doctors saying well your heart beat is permanently superimposed ischemia due to being in a coma for over a month? I said in my head not to the doctor at my exam, what they hell does that mean I’m stuck getting these random heart pains out of no where. So I understand pyramiding and I’ve already have three conditions service connected secondary due to my sTBI. I was told I should file for this by the RO, as if I unexpectedly die due to my ischemia secondary to my coma/ sTBI it would help my family out. I kept my EKGs from my personal records and the doctors name phone number is on there from the navy and writes on the EKG old ischemia residuals of prolonged hospital stays while in a coma.... will refer to echo but never had one done since I forgot and then was honorably discharged. I’m already at 100% scheduler P and T so nothing to gain or lose except if they want to review my file and see I was approved for SSDI last year. Can someone explain to me for my family why i should maybe file this to have it on my disabilities being P and T it doesn’t matter what I die of I thought?

pic of the EKG

6C603291-4D87-44DF-9746-B00D55ED06C9.jpeg

Edited by jfrei

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

3 answers to this question

If you have been service connected P and T 100 percent for 10 years or more, it wont matter the cause of death...your spouse should get DIC regardless.  

However, if you die and have NOT been 100 percent P and T for at least 10 years, then the cause of death matters.  

Your spouse is eligible for DIC if EITHER:

a.  You die from a service connected cause or

b.  You die from ANY cause if you have been 100 percent P and T for 10 years.  

Now, you can get compensation above 100 percent (if you are not already SMC S) if you have 100 percent, plus an additional (combined) 60 percent seperate and distinct from each other.  This is called statuatory SMC S.  

''I was told I should file for this by the RO, as if I unexpectedly die due to my ischemia secondary to my coma/ sTBI it would help my family out. "

I agree with what the VA said.

When was the last time you had an ECHO done?

"Has anyone heard of doctors saying well your heart beat is permanently superimposed ischemia  due to being in a coma for over a month?"

If you google superimposed ischemia and coma , much medical info will pop up.

Did your doctor actually put the superimposed statement into your medical records?

I am not sure how you would word the claim- Do you have  tachycardia, (fast heart beat)

or low heart beat ( 60 beats or less per minute) (Bradycardia)

or a diagnosis of arrythmia?

What I mean is you need to file a claim as to what symptoms you have that are due to the superimposed ischemia, which would be secondary to the TBI..........

Others will chime in---I would not worry about this Jfrei, but still, I dont think you are 100% P & T for ten years yet....I forget.... and I commend you for thinking ahead for your family.

If you are not ten years P&T I would try to rate your ischemia.  I am looking ten years P&T so I no longer worry about my wife but I would otherwise.