VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Made 100% P&T - have questions :)

Rate this question

toomnyhats

Question

After 30 months I’m finally there!  Of course after the celebratory shock wore off I have lots of questions. On 11/30/2015 I was granted 10% tinnitus and 60% Neurogenic bladder. The bladder was granted because my str contained a notation of bladder spasms several days after having a c-section when in reality it was due to my spinal stenosis (pre-existing and not manifested until after discharge).  We ask for reconsideration for the neck to get the LOU on legs (in wheelchair full time) and the connection to right arm weakness and bilateral shoulder issues. Denied. Filed NOD, received SOC and filed form 9. I already had a “more likely than not” from my VA doc but I obtained an IMO with same conclusion but it contained the magic phrases, “would not expect medical treatment for minor neck pain during service because degeneration doesn’t happen immediately”, “progressed quicker than natural progression”, plus a “more likely than not, condition was aggravated by service”. Bingo...never went to board - they granted locally. 

I’m perplexed that they did not grant Neurogenic Bowel (I have an ileostomy and had to have my colon removed). I’m also wondering why they didn’t put two and two together and realize my Neurogenic bladder should also have been secondary to neck. I suspect my rep will deal with those issues. 

My questions are:

1.  Will I receive retro back to the original 11/15/2015 filing date?

2.  I was granted SMC of M - does that seem right?

3.  My daughter was attending college during that 30 month wait - can we get retro on that?

4. Does receipt of SMC preclude use of standard package home care or is it meant to supplement it?

5. For SMC O, one item listed is “complete paralysis of legs along with loss of bowel and bladder function”  Is LOU considered complete paralysis or do they mean complete as in no capability to move them. I can slide my legs on my W/C foot plates but cannot stand or walk. 

I’m so relieved to be at 100 P&T and appreciate the wealth of knowledge and experience provided by this site. I’ve gotten valuable information during what I consider to be a fairly fast trek.

Thanks in advance for any light shed on my questions and situation.

toomnyhats 🎩

Yay!  Finally got the envelope.  I've attached the redacted version for any input, advise or comments.  Your experience is valued!!

Thanks!

toomnyhats

toomnyhatsRedacted.pdf

• HadIt.com Elder

Congratulation

Your also P&T Wth SMC, This great  not so great for your disability but will sure help you out financially, did the award letter mention your disability is of nature and static  and not expected to improve in your life time?and no future exams scheduled? 

When you get time have some one to help you do the following. 

(Just a Suggestion)

1.Be sure to request your rating coding sheet from R.0.  and keep with this award letter.(They don't send it you need to request it)

2. keep all letters  including your award letter and the post marked envelope they came in.

3.Keep all these letters in a file and make copies and store in a safe dry place for future reference.

4.GO TO E BENEFITS  ( Print off your benefits Letters)

5.Be sure to file for all your benefits  chapter 35 and education allowances!

6.print off your commissary letter to take to your nearest military base for PIC DOD I.D.

7.print off your EOB for property tax exemption!

8.File for your free 10.000 life insurance policy and this is a good time to add any additional insurance  coverage you want or need for additional cost , they can take this out of your comp automatically  if you want them to.

There's more benefits like free fishing license and park passes & state auto registration fees and things like this & other benefit's I can't remember.

look up your states benefits for 100% P&T Veterans to make sure you can take advantage of all your benefits.

Again Congratulation on a well deserved Win.

Thanks Buck!  I got an M + a K which resulted in the amounted shown.  Since our youngest just graduated it will go down slightly but I encouraged her to start going for her Masters in enough time to beat the 26 year age limit.  She turn 22 in July.

1. Getting something from the evidence intake center today - not sure what that is (I have informed delivery so I can peek ahead)  Maybe that's the "coding sheet")

2) Good idea...hadn't thought about the envelopes

3) Scanned it all in my computer and hard copy to go in our fireproof/waterproof safe

4)  Check √

5)  Check √  Called St. Louis about retro and she said first thing is to fill out application.  They will generate a letter where we will then put the dates in that the girls were in school which match my 30 month decision period

6)  Check√  They actually do it at at the Army reserve unit right next the the VA medical center I go to so that's convenient.  Also, apparently need spouse's birth certificate, our marriage certificate, spouse's social security card

7) Check √ Ready for mail today

8) Check √ Ready for mail today.  They denied me the first time because I have a heart arrhythmia but it is treated only because I feel them (symptomatic only - no risks or disease).  I'm being proactive and sending in my last cardiologist note stating no heart failure and echo showing excellent ejection fraction and function.

9) I'm going to call vehicle registration today but I think my state only offers tax exemption, not registration exemption but I'll take what I can get :)

10) Not many bases close to us but I look forward to a little R&R at Elsworth AFB in the Black Hills (about 8 hours away).  A couple of lakes with cabins and rental equipment for kayaking and other things.

Thanks much - I am thrilled and will pray that those waiting move quickly through.  Thanks for the checklist - those help a lot :)

toomnyhats 🎩

Congratulations - Instead of the fireproof box - Go to the local county clerk's office and file all paperwork....

It keeps a permanent record all in one place.  Plus you have your copy a county clerk copy is just like an original. 

Great idea!  I did that with my DD214 when I first got out of service.  Peace of mind. Thanks!

toomnyhats 🎩