VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Made 100% P&T - have questions :)

Rate this question

toomnyhats

Question

After 30 months I’m finally there!  Of course after the celebratory shock wore off I have lots of questions. On 11/30/2015 I was granted 10% tinnitus and 60% Neurogenic bladder. The bladder was granted because my str contained a notation of bladder spasms several days after having a c-section when in reality it was due to my spinal stenosis (pre-existing and not manifested until after discharge).  We ask for reconsideration for the neck to get the LOU on legs (in wheelchair full time) and the connection to right arm weakness and bilateral shoulder issues. Denied. Filed NOD, received SOC and filed form 9. I already had a “more likely than not” from my VA doc but I obtained an IMO with same conclusion but it contained the magic phrases, “would not expect medical treatment for minor neck pain during service because degeneration doesn’t happen immediately”, “progressed quicker than natural progression”, plus a “more likely than not, condition was aggravated by service”. Bingo...never went to board - they granted locally. 

I’m perplexed that they did not grant Neurogenic Bowel (I have an ileostomy and had to have my colon removed). I’m also wondering why they didn’t put two and two together and realize my Neurogenic bladder should also have been secondary to neck. I suspect my rep will deal with those issues. 

My questions are:

1.  Will I receive retro back to the original 11/15/2015 filing date?

2.  I was granted SMC of M - does that seem right?

3.  My daughter was attending college during that 30 month wait - can we get retro on that?

4. Does receipt of SMC preclude use of standard package home care or is it meant to supplement it?

5. For SMC O, one item listed is “complete paralysis of legs along with loss of bowel and bladder function”  Is LOU considered complete paralysis or do they mean complete as in no capability to move them. I can slide my legs on my W/C foot plates but cannot stand or walk. 

I’m so relieved to be at 100 P&T and appreciate the wealth of knowledge and experience provided by this site. I’ve gotten valuable information during what I consider to be a fairly fast trek.

Thanks in advance for any light shed on my questions and situation.

toomnyhats 🎩

• HadIt.com Elder

toomanyhats ,

This is what they rated you for and service connected and non service connected you.

Can you scan and attach the award  letter here as to their reason and bases and the evidence list?

(Cover Cfile # name, address prior to scanning it)as Ms Berta suggested.

so we can help you better for maybe other possible conditions you could be eligible for.

Also check out all your benefits  now that your P& T you get them all  chapter 35 is wonderful benefit

also if you own your home or have a mortgage   besure and file for your property tax exemption and homestead act.

here is an overview with the Special Monthly Compensation (SMC)

http://www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/specialmonthlycompensation.html

Re: Chapter 35 aka DEA:

":A child (between ages 18 and 26, with some exceptions) of a veteran who is permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition; or who died in service; or who died of a service-connected disability; or who died while evaluated as having total and permanent service-connected disability; or who is listed as a POW or MIA.

The surviving spouse of a veteran who died of a service-connected disability, or died in service, or died while evaluated as having total and permanent disability resulting from a service-connected disability. Surviving spouses whose benefits stopped when they remarried can receive DEA benefits again if their remarriage ends by death or divorce, or they cease to live with the person to whom they presented themselves in public as married.

A spouse of a veteran or serviceperson who has a total and permanent disability resulting from a service-connected disability; or who is listed as a POW or MIA.

Entitlement: 45 months. (Maximum of 48 months if eligible for more than one benefit chapter.) Delimiting Date: Child: 8 years; Spouse: 10 years; Surviving Spouse: 10 years. 20 years if death while on active duty.”

This is part of the link here:

https://www.lanecc.edu/va/chapter-35-dependents-educational-assistance-dea

And you should receive the DEA pamphlet from VA which is also here:

https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/docs/pamphlets/ch35_pamphlet_2.pdf

This might help with your daughter’s  past tuition-

I had prior college credits from another state,  and VA asked me, when I filed out the DEA form, to give them the dates ,etc of that past college situation, but it was out of the DEA criteria then.

So when my eligibility date ran out ( it is 10 years for surviving spouses) and after VA did pay ,up to that point for my tuition at AMU, I paid for the rest of my AMU college tuition myself.

I was on DEA solely due to a 100% P & T SC posthumous award I got in 1997, regarding my deceased husband. ( dead under Section 1151/FTCA)

The same time I enrolled into American Military University, my daughter ,in service by then,(USAF) insisted I reopen for a direct AO death. I was so burned out by VA I kept putting it off but finally listened to her-

VA awarded me direct SC death in 2009, with a new Chapter 35 date (I had already graduated from AMU by then) and I asked VA Edu to refund to me the tuition I had paid myself, because of the new favorable EED for my DEA.

I already had a VA counselor at AMU, and my student payment records were certainly still on line.

The VA counselor tied in with AMU financial aid office and sent to VA  Educational Department the proof of my paid tuition.

It was either about 6 thousand or eight thousand in retro payment.

So, as long as your daughter attends a VA approved college, they will have a VA counselor and they surely will be familiar with DEA in their Financial aid office.

The DEA payments are not exactly the actual tuition-the pamphlet explains how that goes.

My reimbursements changed when I took accelerated courses, too, and it took me a long time to graduate because I had so many credits already, I had to wait for semesters with the specific warfare courses I wanted.

I also received a Certificate in Military Studies along with my degree. I don’t know if VA paid for that- I think it was just part of the tactical warfare courses…..

Books- the Marine Corps gave me a grant for all of my books but I hope your daughter has sought many other ways to obtain course books, in her college bookstore or maybe a grant- because they are EXPENSIVE.

They (AMU) paid for my subscription to Marine Corps Gazette but I think I had 

to pay for Leatherneck- myself as these were required course materials for the course program I took.

She might even be eligible for some state financial aid with your new rating.

That info would be found in your state’s web site.

Thanks Buck!  I don't have the official package yet...expecting that this upcoming week.  When I do, I'll scan in a redacted version.  Yes...the P&T benefits are exciting.  Going to have to find a close base with a commissary and exchange.  But it will be very nice to see our mortgage go down with the total exemption of property taxes.  Don't know if I'm allowed to express it here but...God is good!!

toomnyhats 🎩

Excellent information Berta.  She seems to meet all the criteria so if she can get retro that will help her tremendously with the mountain of debt.  It also might spur her to go on to get her Masters (if that's covered) since she will turn 22 this July, she would have time.  I've already opened the links and will start looking. 

As I told Buck, once I get the "envelope", I'll redact and upload so I can benefit from everyone's expertise here :)

Thanks again!

toomnyhats 🎩

Thanks Navy04!  As we age, it will relieve so much of the care taking tasks from my husband!  I had a great PVA rep and a big Hand from above!!