VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Confused about how to qualify for SMC?

Rate this question

Leon2015

Question

1) I been reading many things on SMC but I'm still confused so I will just lay my disabilities and hopefully someone can tell me if I initially qualify:

100% Overall Disability Rating

70%Mental Health (MDD)

60% GERD

50% Sleep Apnea

and few other lower rated disabilities

2) Second question I read that the VA will automatically implement a SMC rating is you qualify, how true is this? Will I need to initiate the process if I qualify

Thanks in advance

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
On 5/21/2018 at 5:44 PM, Leon2015 said:

1) I been reading many things on SMC but I'm still confused so I will just lay my disabilities and hopefully someone can tell me if I initially qualify:

100% Overall Disability Rating

70%Mental Health (MDD)

60% GERD

50% Sleep Apnea

and few other lower rated disabilities

2) Second question I read that the VA will automatically implement a SMC rating is you qualify, how true is this? Will I need to initiate the process if I qualify

Thanks in advance

You must be getting IU? From a COMBINED RATING OF 90%  to be paid at the 100% rate

50%60% & 70% is a combined rating of 90%  IU would not be your official rating  its the combined of all your rating together  which is 90%

if so then to meet the SMC Criteria YOU WOULD NEED AN ADDITIONAL 50% Rating  for the 100% scheduler & then another separate & distinct s.c. condition of 60% to meet the SMC Criteria

Would I be able to apply for SMC with the following disabilities:

70% PTSD
60% GERD
50% Sleep Apnea
30% Cervical DDD
20% Minor Cervical
10% Tinnitus
10% Plantar Fasc Feet
10% Lumbar back
10% Knee
I'm newly 100% P&T, not working and homebound with approved SSDI
Thanks in advance for any responses

If you ain't IU T & P with only (1) SC listed as causing you to be IU and have other non-IU causing SC's that hit the SMC S Scheduler Housebound (60%) independent CSC, you don't qualify for IU SMC S Scheduler.

Now if the CSC's that you currently have gets you to 95/100 %CSC based on a multitude of SCs, however without (1) SC Rated independently as 100% by itself, you will not be eligible for CSC Scheduler Housebound with (1) SC Rated as Permanent or Temporary (Cancer with future possible reduction after surgery). A friend just got his PTSD BVA bump to 70% and a Lung Cancer Temporary 100% Rating, he's not IU, strictly CSC, (1) SC Cancer 100% and the 70 PTSD got him SMC S Housebound $344.00. Other than the Cancer DX, he's smiling about the Comp. He's just didn't wait to file the Cancer AO claim like his VSO suggested. I had him do an FDC within a week of the Cancer DX, why wait, all Med recs at his VMC, Cash hit within 2 months.

• HadIt.com Elder

These folks are correct. Statutory housebound SMC S requires a total disability rating Regardless if IU or Scheduler. The next step is SMC L. That one requires you to be rated for Aid and Attendance. L is the stepping stone for the upper level SMC ratings. That means you can have 1- 100 percent ratings and without Aid and attendance S is as high as you go..

But... if you were rated as TDIU solely for you PTSD, then the amalgam of your other ratings would qualify you for SMC S. Usually, one disease /injury rated 60% or more is sufficient to accomplish TDIU. Another would be a single rating at 40% minimum plus others that combined to make 70% or more would be a qualifier. Thus, if the PTSD or GERD alone got you to TDIU, an additional 60% made up of independently rateable disabilities would be the kicker for SMC S. As for SMC L, that's a much bigger, different discussion. 

SMC is a most difficult concept to grasp. 

We always suggest Mr. Potatohead...https://asknod.org/2013/02/27/special-monthly-compensation-what-is-it/

A-NOD, are you sure? Just stroking, your  SMC thoroughness is expected and appreciated.