VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA definition of combat activity

Rate this question

GnySkinner

Question

I thought I read somewhere that the VA description of combat activity included "Preparing for combat" as well as actively in combat.  I have looked for the legal VA definition and can't find it.  Can anyone provide a link or past the legal definition in here for me?

Thanks

I think all veterans go through some form of combat "training" after they enlist.

This is the VA's definition of combat:

https://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/assets/documents/publications/IB-10-438_Combat_Veteran_Eligibility.pdf

Edited by Berta

Berta, unfortunately that document doesn't pertain to me.  I retired in 1999 and it refers only to veterans who were discharged on or after 2003.  I am considered a Gulf War veteran but I wasn't in active combat.  I trained for combat pretty much the entire 20 years.  There is a question on my form that I have to fill in to take to my C&P and it simply says "Combat activity?" Yes/No.

thanks

My son was a combat Vet, and Im pretty sure he got some sort of combat medal, but I regret I dont know what it was called.  Did you get a combat medal?  This should suffice.  

Maybe someone else can chime in here, but I think its about "combat zone".  Even if you were in infantry, and trained in combat, but you were stationed in Kansas, you probably are not a combat Vet.  

On the other hand, if you were a medic, but sent to Vietnam, during the Vietnam war, you are a combat Vet.  Its less about your MOS, and more about your duty station.  I dont think "training for war" means you are a combat Vet, if never deployed.  

Example:

VA defines what it calls "periods of war".  If you served during a period of war, then you become eligbile for NSC pension.  No war time service, no NSC pension.

https://www.benefits.va.gov/pension/wartimeperiod.asp

Why do you ask about combat?  The main reason it matters is that documentation of PTSD stressors is lessend with combat Vets.  For the rest of things "being in combat" does not matter a lot.