• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Fund HadIt.com

142%
    $2,133.00 of $1,500.00 Donate Now
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

VA definition of combat activity

Question

I thought I read somewhere that the VA description of combat activity included "Preparing for combat" as well as actively in combat.  I have looked for the legal VA definition and can't find it.  Can anyone provide a link or past the legal definition in here for me?

Thanks

• Answers 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

Thanks  EODCMC- you are correct and I just started to put the link here, but you beat me to the punch. CRSC requires "Disabilities that may be considered combat related include injuries incu

13 hours ago, Buck52 said:

We never had it in our mind thought to to go get medical help if it was not life threatening and filing a claim was the least on my mind back then.

so if a Veteran can't find his medical records or  had an injury in the military  combat or non combat  he can describe the event and location and close to the dates it happen  and the VA can some how check it out   ...and this will help establish Service Connection.

I still haven't received my C-File but I think when I do it will be next to nothing.  I never went because I didn't want to be labeled a sick bay commando.  Heck, I was the one calling others names for going to sick bay instead of sucking it up.  I used to joke around and say I probably wouldn't be able to walk by the time I turned 50 with all that I put my body through, well, I wasn't far off.

On 5/25/2018 at 2:41 PM, broncovet said:

Maybe someone else can chime in here, but I think its about "combat zone".  Even if you were in infantry, and trained in combat, but you were stationed in Kansas, you probably are not a combat Vet.  

On the other hand, if you were a medic, but sent to Vietnam, during the Vietnam war, you are a combat Vet.  Its less about your MOS, and more about your duty station.  I dont think "training for war" means you are a combat Vet, if never deployed.  

Example:

VA defines what it calls "periods of war".  If you served during a period of war, then you become eligbile for NSC pension.  No war time service, no NSC pension.

https://www.benefits.va.gov/pension/wartimeperiod.asp

One other clarification.  I did 6 tours overseas.  I am a Gulf War veteran and my service records show this. 2 of my 6 month deployments were in the Gulf War zone.  The ships I was on were never fired upon and I never fired my weapon during combat. I don't have any combat service medal.  I have the armed service expedition medal for being in theater.

7 hours ago, GnySkinner said:

My VSO told me not to put in for all my muscle and joint issues right now.

This is why many of us dont trust VSO's, and trust VA employees even less.  Why would they say something like that?  Did they tell their boss:

I know Im eligible for GS 11 right now, but I really only want the pay of a GS3.  Im not able to spend all them money I have now, so please dont consider me for raises, ever.  Also, why are you only having me work 40 hours per week?  I would like to volunteer (without pay) for at least 5 to 6 more hours per day.  And, who needs weekends?  Just put me down for duty each weekend.  Never mind time off for unnecessary stuff like family or recreation.  

However, the second quote is exactly what they are expecting of you.  But I dont think they expect to do what is in the second quote.  Do you hear VA employees calling each other "greedy" because they would like to maximize their own income?  But, somehow when Vets want the same thing WE are greedy.  

You should apply for each benefit you feel you qualify for, up to and above 100 percent. Dont skip applying for some stuff because a VSO called you greedy, while he complains HE did not get OVERTIME last weekend.  

1 hour ago, broncovet said:

This is why many of us dont trust VSO's, and trust VA employees even less.  Why would they say something like that?  Did they tell their boss:

I actually called my local VSO (in WI) to see if I could change.  I'm getting mixed information from the VSO's on that.  I filed in FL with my VSO there and am now in WI in a campground, I'm a snowbird.  I'll be moving in to a house in a different county in a couple of months.  I have been told 1) I have to stay with the current VSO and 2) I can switch but it has to be in the county I live. Unfortunately the campground and the house I will be moving to are in different counties.

When I first met with my FL VSO he told me to make a list of all my current conditions. I ordered my VA health records, created a 3ring binder and made copies of everything, each time I went to the Dr. for each condition. Each tab contains all the medical information, medications, dates I was diagnosed, tests performed, progress notes, literally everything I have on every condition.  

When I went back for my second visit he looked at the list, not the stuff in the binder, and said we should file for this and not that because these will be easier and these will be harder.  He told me I read too much and doing the research is his job.  Believe me that didn't sit well with me because I always research everything, even if I just want to buy a new flashlight.

The problem as he saw it was that there wasn't a specific diagnosis for "pain".  My knees, shoulders, elbows and back hurt all the time.  I know it is from the training, jumping off LAVs, going on 25 mile humps carrying up to 70 lbs or more, laying in a hidden location without moving for over 24 hours, and more, over 20 years of bodily abuse.  I know my shoulder is from an incident in.  Like a good recruit I kept my mouth shut for fear of being held back in training.  Absolutely no way I was going to sick call in boot camp, and now I'm paying the price for it.   It is well documented over the many years since my retirement, but not during my time in service.  But "pain" isn't a diagnosis.  He said since I was SC for back then we should apply for that but not the other pains.

Now I've read about a special review retirees can ask for called Gulf War Syndrome.  It is for undiagnosed pain and lists lots of what I am feeling.  I didn't know if I should request that or not.  I'll do some searching here in the hadit forum and see what people think about that.