VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA definition of combat activity

Rate this question

GnySkinner

Question

I thought I read somewhere that the VA description of combat activity included "Preparing for combat" as well as actively in combat.  I have looked for the legal VA definition and can't find it.  Can anyone provide a link or past the legal definition in here for me?

Thanks

2 minutes ago, EODCMC said:

Gunny, your dellema is that you don't have your "STRs". The VA will get this information rather quickly and won't act on your claim until they do. 

Regrettably, it usually takes nearly a year for the VA to send the C file to you. If you haven't sent your FOIA request, I suggest you do it now. Your VSO should do this for you.

Therefore, you are pretty much in the dark when gauging the strength of your claim unless you have a very considerate VSO and will brief you. They can see this info, usually. However, they cannot give it to you in any form except verbally.

Hang in there Marine! From what you have told us, you are in pretty good shape. Just a little catching up to do and a bit of a waiting game. 

I did file for my complete C-File.  First back in January and again in April.  I received a CD 2 weeks ago but it wasn't complete.  I called the number on the letter and they said they would send it to a supervisor.  I called again last Thursday and the extremely helpful guy who answered the phone (and I do really mean that) told me an additional 60 some pages were sent to me on 5/22 with my STRs, stuff dated from 1979 to 2000.  I don't have that yet but it should be here by Tuesday.

My VSO said he couldn't see any of my active duty medical stuff nor my initial claims from 1999.  I had already filed for copies of everything before I even met with him the first time.

He will be able to see the evidence when the VA posts it. They do have a special log in...trust me. If I were you, I would hold tight until the VA gathers your records. You will see them request it on E- benefits. There will be a deadline. In the meantime, you could research other VSOs in case you feel you need to make a change. Don't panic, adapt and overcome.

3 minutes ago, EODCMC said:

He will be able to see the evidence when the VA posts it. They do have a special log in...trust me. If I were you, I would hold tight until the VA gathers your records. You will see them request it on E- benefits. There will be a deadline. In the meantime, you could research other VSOs in case you feel you need to make a change. Don't panic, adapt and overcome.

I log on to Ebenfits about once a week to check if the status has changed.  The girl from QTC who is scheduling my C&Ps said the VA sent them 580 pages.  They sent me 193 on the first disc and now are sending another 60 some on the second disc.  From that alone I don't trust the VA.  Since the VA sent 580 pages to QTC, wouldn't that mean that they already have all my records, I mean, they sent them to QTC.  My status on ebenfits is "evidence gathering".

Yea, someone on here not-so-fondly coined this the "Gathering Dust" phase. There is so much information they get from multiple sources. Not all of it is relevant to your C&P examiner. 

Stay nice, be firm and resolute. These folks aren't dishonest, although some get jaded by the human interaction. There probably should be term limits for rafters and VSO reps perhaps. 

I really think you are moving along in the normal fashion, from the information you have provided.

good luck!

Of course it is not necessary to be a combat veteran to gain Service Connection.

If we know more about what you are claiming, we can hopefully help more.