VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

1cavarty69

Question

At the behest of my psychiatrist at the V.A. on more than one occasion, I was asked why I did not request an increase from my 30% initial rating 8 years ago. I have no answer for that other than I felt like I wasn't deserving. After a particular hard day, I changed my mind, again at her request, and started the process. My symptoms have gotten worse as I get older. I have been working with the V.A. Psychiatrist and a "Medication Advisor" for lack of a better title the entire time. This process is bringing back all the bad thoughts that have been plaguing me since my first round with my claim. I am scheduled for another C&P exam next month and my anxiety attacks are now just compounded. I guess this is just the nature of the beast ? am I wasting my time and the level of sanity I have managed to maintain ? 

Edited by 1cavarty69

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Each Veteran makes a decision as to when/if they file a claim.  I have not met "ONE" yet, who regretted filing for benefits.  If you should be the first, then you can withdraw your claim, and VA will be happy to accomodate you.  

However, I have met many (including myself) who regrets waiting to file.  

Do you really think it will help your anxiety level by not filing?  

My experience has been that ignoring a 5000 pound gorilla in the room wont make him go away, if he is realy there.  

It sounds like your "gorrilla" is the real deal and you are dealing with your issues.  

I see it you have 2 choices:

1.  Deal with your issues. 

2.  Deal with your issues AND file for benefits and maybe get paid for them.  

I sure can relate to that-my husband went through the same thing when he requested a rating higher than his PTSD ( at 30% since 1984)

By 1993 SSA awarded him SSDI solely for his PTSD.

In 1997 he was posthumously awarded 100% SC for PTSD. SSA used all of his VA records and VA could have awarded the 100 %  in his lifetime....

But you can get through this-

I guess this is just the nature of the beast ? " Yes it is.

"am I wasting my time and the level of sanity I have managed to maintain ? " Not in my opinion at all. 

Broncovet is right.

On 5/29/2018 at 5:16 PM, Berta said:

I sure can relate to that-my husband went through the same thing when he requested a rating higher than his PTSD ( at 30% since 1984)

By 1993 SSA awarded him SSDI solely for his PTSD.

In 1997 he was posthumously awarded 100% SC for PTSD. SSA used all of his VA records and VA could have awarded the 100 %  in his lifetime....

But you can get through this-

I guess this is just the nature of the beast ? " Yes it is.

"am I wasting my time and the level of sanity I have managed to maintain ? " Not in my opinion at all. 

Broncovet is right.

I am so sorry to hear of your spouses passing. God Bless him for his service and the hell he was put through. 

On 5/29/2018 at 3:04 PM, broncovet said:

Each Veteran makes a decision as to when/if they file a claim.  I have not met "ONE" yet, who regretted filing for benefits.  If you should be the first, then you can withdraw your claim, and VA will be happy to accomodate you.  

However, I have met many (including myself) who regrets waiting to file.  

Do you really think it will help your anxiety level by not filing?  

My experience has been that ignoring a 5000 pound gorilla in the room wont make him go away, if he is realy there.  

It sounds like your "gorrilla" is the real deal and you are dealing with your issues.  

I see it you have 2 choices:

1.  Deal with your issues. 

2.  Deal with your issues AND file for benefits and maybe get paid for them.  

I went ahead with the rating increase request (4/26/18), did my C&P (6/15/18) and it is now in "Preparation for Notification" stage (6/27/18)/ I had another appointment with the V.A.Psychiatrist after the C&P and she reviewed my DBQ online. I heard a "oh no" at the very beginning of her reading and then a "wait a minute" as she continued and ended with a "it looks pretty good, I think will be happy with the outcome".  Did she see the recommended increase ??? After driving myself nuts for a couple of days I went to the V.A. Outpatient clinic and got a copy for myself. Reading that really put the pedal to the metal on my psyche and I just folded it up and relegated it to my "V.A. stuff-save" drawer. I will be getting my answer hopefully soon. It just seems pretty quick to be positive........

While the entire C&P exam is used by the rater to determine your overall claim, they also use all your medical/treatment notes as well.  I am curious since you saw your C&P exam, if you can redact personal info and post here for us to review?  I am curious as to what the examiner put for Occupational and Social Impairment?

I recently had my C&P exam for my PTSD increase.  Like you in April 2018 I applied, had my C&P the first part of June 2018 and my decision was handed down June 18, 2018.  I was increased and received the decision in the mail the other day.  Reading it really makes me feel like crap but I know that at least others see my issues too.

Keep us updated!