VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rated 100% and VA says not able to handle my finances

Rate this question

Bmed0713

Question

Hi I am new I see on my benefits page that my rating has increased to 100 % due to a secondary mental condition due to pain. I have not received the letters in the mail yet but notice a few more things added like letter of competency.... So I google it and now I am freaking out once I saw what it was... So I am preparing to fight this stupid idea that I cannot handle my finances... So I found this forum... And it looks great... I am seeking any advice how to fight this.... To include any great attorney that knows what to do

... Personally I believe they operated my case percentage wise... But now I find myself in this stressful situation... Any help is greatly appreciated! 

If the 100% is solely for the MH issues- with 60% independent combined physical,  did they consider you for SMC in the decision?

Yes, you can fight it-with proof that you pay your own bills ,are not in a foreclosure situation, 

and that your name is on every check you sign.I assume you are a single vet-

but if you have a spouse, usually tyhe spouse handles family finances- still no reason to believe you cant handle them as well.

We have had many vets get a proposal of incompetence- it is  only for VA benefits- and others will chime in on that.

It is a bunch of BS, but in some cases it is good-

I told this true story here before.

I helped a vet get 100% P & T after VA denied him for many ,many years. (Bipolar -that I proved was manifested in his service period. A very good friend of mine from the local VA.)

His retro was just shy of 1/4 a Million. He wanted to take me to lunch, when he won,

In Ireland-

he was going through a manic phase. 

Luckily his wife became his Payee. He certainly didn't owe me anything and it was a disgrace that  NO one- to include many POAs, helped him at all.

Well, of course you need to wait for the envelope (because you cant count on ebenefits) BUT, its okay to order your cfile now, so you can make some preperations no matter what happens.  Its probably not a bad idea to think who YOU would prefer to have as a fiduciary.  

Its almost certainly NOT the one VA assigns.  Your spouse, brother, mother father, or even a trusted family friend is almost always better than a VA assigned ex con fiduciary.  So make some decsions on who you trust enough to ask them to take care of your money...this could happen eventually anyway, even if it does not happen in a few weeks.  

You want someone who is not only trustworthy, but also with some accounting and organizations skills, too.  Your accountant is probably worth considering (to recommend as your fiduciary for bill paying) if a friend or family member does not make sense. 

I have a great tax person who I would trust to pay my bills.  

Edited by broncovet

Then there's this to consider, be proactive, do not maintain a Joint Direct Deposit account with your Spouse or anyone else. If a Fiduciary gets appointed, the account (all money in it) goes into lockdown and can only be accessed by your Fiduciary.

If you don't have one, signup with a POA-VSO and be ready to Appeal the Appointment. Definitely not a time to procrastinate.

Good morning and thanks for all the information. I am still waiting for the notifications by mail. I did some research and found out that the Dr. I saw suggested a 70% percent rating and stated that I was able to handle my own finances.....now I am thoroughly confused as to why I would see a letter of competency on ebenefits..... do they send you a letter stating you are competent?  And I cannot for the life of me understand why they would rate me 100% for mental health when the Dr. Doing the interview recommends 70% .... I really am having a hard time with this I have anxiety due to pain from other injuries... Secondary condition , never been in trouble I work everyday, pay my bills on time,retired from my last job after 33 years and got a new job and have been working here for two years with great appraisals and now recommended for an award for performance . I really thought when I went for the appointment maybe the highest might be 30% but definitely not 100%.... At a loss for words, "really"!

On 5/29/2018 at 2:57 PM, Berta said:

Yes, you can fight it-with proof that you pay your own bills ,are not in a foreclosure situation, 

and that your name is on every check you sign.I assume you are a single vet-

but if you have a spouse, usually tyhe spouse handles family finances- still no reason to believe you cant handle them as well.

We have had many vets get a proposal of incompetence- it is  only for VA benefits- and others will chime in on that.

It is a bunch of BS, but in some cases it is good-

I told this true story here before.

I helped a vet get 100% P & T after VA denied him for many ,many years. (Bipolar -that I proved was manifested in his service period. A very good friend of mine from the local VA.)

His retro was just shy of 1/4 a Million. He wanted to take me to lunch, when he won,

In Ireland-

he was going through a manic phase. 

Luckily his wife became his Payee. He certainly didn't owe me anything and it was a disgrace that  NO one- to include many POAs, helped him at all.

Hi Berta

I finally got a copy of my rating. They said I am considered competent. I am very concerned though I was rated 60% for my physical issues combined and 100% for anxiety / mental health. I believe they rated me to high they have me 100% permanent and total . They said my speech was a problem .... I have always been told I am very articulate also they said my personal appearance was lacking lol... I am the guy who irons everything except my socks and underwear before wearing., they say I cannot function at work.... I struggle sometimes but I get it done and always have great evaluations and just received a monetary award for my performance. I am confused because now with this rating I am not sure if I can still work.... The money from the VA will not cover my bills. I really do not know what to do.