VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Changing Appointment times & Dates beware!

Rate this topic

I once had the VA claim that I had never been to their hospital for treatment.  No paper or computer records could be found.  I went to my congressman and got a letter from the Deputy Secretary that there was no record of my treatment at that hospital but they would start seeing me there for treatment.  When I called to make an appointment I was informed that I was not able to since I had missed three appointments.

Recently had an appointment - checked in to be told - I had no appointment too.... 

They were apologetic in my case. It was a change in providers that triggered the appt. 

I never apply for travel pay - although I am authorized, more of an aggravation- for a non- appointment - this has never happened in civilian sector... to me.

I transferred all meds over to PCP - Tricare.  Starting in Nov  2018 only go to PCP once a year at VA since I have no Physical Health related ratings,  but still participate in MH peer groups... 3 times a week.  CYA agreed! 

• HadIt.com Elder

L, you should request travel pay  when you have any scheduled appointment with VA.

All Veterans that are eligible for travel pay should file  and I think its only a 30% S.C. criteria.

I went for years not applying for travel pay and lost out on boo coo $$  no telling how much I lost out on about 60 miles of travel pay  it's 41 cents a mile both ways...10 years of not filing travel pay...then I moved closer to the VA & that put me about 21 miles away

...I just happen to talk to a veteran at my VAMC while waiting for  an appointment one day and he talked me into going to the travel pay window and get an application for travel pay and took it to my Bank for a routing # filed out the application  (10-3542)and now I get travel pay now.

I moved again in May of this year and  had my address change and noted the address change was 48 miles now... getting travel pay is not hard  sometimes the clinic will have you sign for the travel pay and sometimes I just file for it on the kiosk machine after my appointment,,,some times I have 3 or 4 appointments in one month..it all adds up.....travel pay is not that much but it adds up over time,

I never went to the travel pay window for the travel pay cash ..some veterans do  that's just an option,,I just have it sent direct deposit to my Bank.

unless you don't have that many appointments with the VA I can see why you don't.

On a changed schedule appointment /and you get there but the appointment date/time was changed without you know it and you don't see a Dr or Therapist on that date then we can't file for travel pay.

just another reason why all veterans should check there appointment schedule off MyHealthevet. the night before.

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

Ventquest

I hear ya about the VAMC not letting you in for healthcare

I went to one certain VAMC out in West Texas for years about 10 /12 years  Even had appendix surgery and was laid up in the hospital about 2 weeks  almost died from complications of infected appendix.

Anyway Now that hospital don't have any My Medical records on me what so ever   the VA can't find them or any records from that particular VAMC.....Now its mostly closed down and only have a few speciality clinics there. 

The records manager clerk from this VAMC said they sent my records off to a place to be stored...I can't find that place? its sure not at NRPC in St Louis.. or  at my state capitol  (Austin Tx) or records managing system in Dallas Tx...I gave up on trying to find my medical records from West Texas.

Not only the appaductomy, but I had major leukemia testing bone morrow test done  they put me through them mill for these abrasive test, Lucky for me it was all negative...but  found I didn't have my Instrict Factor  and was diagnose as pernicious anemia... I have to take  the B-12 INJECTIONS the rest of my life.

..I was going to file a A.O. Claim under the Nehmer Rules but cant find these medical records and Pernicious Anemia  is not on the A.O. list  but I have secondary's I could file on.... is'it funny how our records disappear.

I worked at the VA -

Been a patient for over 20 years since 1997 retirement. 

I would never accept or apply for travel pay - I appreciate the advice.

Tricare or Medicare does not compensate me to go to the doctor -... just my opinion, respectfully submitted. 

• HadIt.com Elder

L,

That is certainly understandable & your your decision to make.

My post certainly was not to offend you in anyway or cause you  embarrassment.

If your a Veteran and worked for the VA  and  or on different health care programs such as medicare and tricare don't necessarily mean you are not eligible for travel pay.

And of course it's your option not to file for travel pay if you so  choose not to.

This post was more meant for Veterans to re check their scheduled Appointments from the VA the night before they head out to their respected VAMC or VA Clinic.