VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&P for increase

Rate this question

Navy4life

Question

Hi there!  Long time member but haven't been around in awhile.  I filed for an increase for PTSD in April 2018.  Received C&P last week and my rep called me today to let me know I went to 70% from 50%.  My overall 90% rating stays the same but it puts me at 94% now.  I intend to file for one more claim in the next few months and if that goes well, I will go to 100%.

My C&P exam went well.  It was about 30 minutes total but examiner told me I was progressively getting worse.  Not sure I wanted to hear that but it's the truth.  I am in therapy for over four years now and I am mentally exhausted from it.  I just hate feeling like this all the time.

What I wanted to mention is that you should always wait until the decision is completed and not try to guess your outcome.  My rep was able to read the exam, it was done at an LHI contracted facility and while the examiner checked the box for 30% under Occupational and Social Impairment, his remarks and overall assessment are what increased me to 70%.  My point is to not always freak out and think you might get reduced based on the Occupational/Social Impairment box.  The entire C&P exam, along with all your history of therapy is what will help you in the end.

Oh I had a bad C&P exam and had to fight it through an NOD but I was eventually victorious.  A lot of rater's send specific questions to the examiner to help reduce time.  

• HadIt.com Elder

a C&P Exam is crucial to the veteran rather or he/she is approved or denied.

https://cck-law.com/news/compensation-and-pension-exams

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

I guess my point is  when we have all the evidence we need to substantiate our claim and a C&P Examine don't read it and the exam last about 2 minutes  then dismisses the veteran and fills out the questionnaire,  they put things down that were never mention in the exam and never discussed with the veteran..they note what ever they want to note...and it usually ends up in a denal

& sure we all have to fight a Bad examiner but my point is if they did there job correct  most of the time none of this NOD Crap would be necessary. 

I just always called that a botched C&P Exam  or an exam that went South in a short period of time.

Edited by Buck52

I guess my point is that the C&P exam is NOT the only piece of evidence the rater reviews.  In addition to the C&P exam, they have all the SMR's, current medical records, and all additional evidence that the Veteran has supplied.

C&P exams some times sound bad, when they aren't and yes, there are C&P exams that are just horrible.  If you remember, I had to fight a DRO who refuted my TWO IMO's from a VA podiatrist and a DRO can't refute a medical opinion as he is not a medical professional.  I got lucky and was able to get it resolved at the RO level but I feel so bad for other Veteran's that have to fight for what they deserve.

• HadIt.com Elder

yes they are suppose to read all evidence  STR's medical records, notes Dr's opinions ect,,ect everything the VA sends to them,.

However the C&P Examiner is the  basic reason you had to fight the DRO...&  Some DRO's Are included with these type of C&P Examiners. (EVEN IF THEY DON'T KNOW EACH OTHER)

Fortunately this all can be overcome if we make them read our evidence and go from that.  but they don't read or most of'em don't. and this is generally what causes our Appeals.

I must say some Appeals are decided rather fast if the veteran is lucky and not have to deal with years and years of wait time or until they can get to our appeal.

a lot of this is just plain lazy on the C&P Examiner  Part  that is what causes this whole mess.

Edited by Buck52

So my rating updated on Ebennies last week and I am wondering what my overall rating % is??????  I think it's 93% or 94% am I correct?

Rated Disabilities

Disability Rating Decision Related To Effective Date
tinnitus 10%      

anemia 0%      
left ankle fracture 10%      

right ankle sprain 

10%      

left 2nd metatarsal neuroma 

10%      

right 5th metatarsal fracture 

20%      

left ankle, right 5th metatarsal and left 2nd metatarsal postoperative scars 

20%      

left ankle postoperative scar 

10%      
anorexia nervosa with bulimia 0%      
post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) (previously rated as other specified trauma and stressor-related disorder) 70%      

irritable bowel syndrome 30%      

hemorrhoids 

20%