VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Requesting C File while Claim in Process

Rate this question

semperfam

Question

Good morning all,

My VA Claim was on autopilot for almost 9 years and I am now applying for increases and new claims that were missed at my retirement/discharge C&P exam.  I have never requested my C File, and I understand this holds the key to what the VA has to decide my claim.  I am missing 10 years of military medical records, '87-'97 (some missing since the Gulf War). I currently have a claim in "gathering evidence stage".  Would it be best to request my C File under FOIA now, or wait till I get a decision and then request before I appeal?  

Curious if anyone had experience requesting a C file while a claim was in process.  Thanks.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Request it Yesterday...yes send in your FOIA request  it ASAP Request it both ways  fax & by snail mail

Normally its better to Request the C-FILE before you file  b/c it may take months to get it.

when we file a claim  the VA sends out for your C-file  so it may take  it longer to get to you.

but definitely Request it both ways ( by fax with confirmation) and   (return mail receipt,)  request it both ways and you can call and request it but they will tell you you need to sigh the FOIA.

Thanks Buck,

Yeah, as my health has deteriorated rapidly since I got out, I didn't spend a lot of time learning about how to approach the claim. My wife has taken on the burden of getting it all organized and looking at all the things that are in my record.  Since most of my health issues appear to be presumptively connected to my Gulf War service (via a letter I got from the GW examiner), I would very much like to know what is in my records.  

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

If you have not already, please also consider requesting your personnel records. These may be available online via myhealth.va.gov Blue button feature or you can get them mailed via: https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records

It is best to have all information available when going up against the VA

Additionally, many c-files are now digital and the RO can mail them to you on disc. However, some may still be paper. Only one way to find out.

Vync,

I've done a request for my personnel records in May and the NPRC has sent me a notification that they have not received the records (I retired in '09) and has directed it to HQMC.  I have a few documents and copies from reenlistments, but not anything that would depict my entire service.  My DD-214 is correct, and my "summary" from the eBenefits is sort of correct-missing awards but my deployments, combat, hazardous duty periods are correct.  

Thanks.