VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Do they really have my separation physical exam??

Rate this question

Max Rommel

Question

One more question from a newbie. I applied for disability for hearing loss and Tinnitus. I was awarded 10% for Tinnitus but zero for hearing loss. In the denial letter for hearing loss the VA said that my hearing today is actually better than when I was separated 51 years ago! I am very skeptical. When I started my VA disability efforts they could not find my DD214. They said "We have no record of your service." So I gave them a copy of my DD214 and we went forward from there. So my question is: Should I believe that they really have my separation medical records when the VA couldn't even find my DD214? Should I appeal the hearing loss decision and ask to see a copy of my physical from my separation that they claim to have?

Thanks again,

Max

4 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

You should be able to request your military personnel file here: https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records

The entrance and exit exams are typically stored as part of your medical treatment records. When I got out in 1995, the Army just handed me the entire medical records. I assume they might have done the same for you, but that was well before my time. The exit examination may be stored in your claims file (c-file) at the VARO.

Another option would be to request and examine a copy of your C&P exam results. Compare those to the decision letter from the VA. And then compare those to the rating criteria for hearing: §4.87   Schedule of ratings—ear

I had a situation where the C&P exam findings were in my favor, but the rater screwed up and did not read the results correctly. That's why I always recommend double-checking any decision from the VA to ensure they didn't screw up.

• HadIt.com Elder

Well when has the VA made any sense?

They will give hearing aids  if we show any loss of hearing but they set the hearing criteria way to high as to we need to be damn near completely deaf for any percent of compensation.

As for as physical exam at separation  yes they can dig way back for it and see how everything turn out at separation  by reading what was placed in the separation notes or medical records

if your denied for hearing loss  usually noise induced hearing loss , NOD the decision and go to a private state license Audologist and have them to follow the VA Hearing criteria and use the Maryland CNC Word test.

compare your VA Testing that they denied you on to your private testing  ask the audiologist if you have a considerable amount of hearing loss? mild? severe ?or profound ? and how well was your word discrimination test score

if the private test warrants a high enough rating  then submit that has evidence in your NOD  ..Usually I'd request a DRO Hearing...but some new things are happening now for Veteran that enroll in the RAMP program to speed up the NOD Wait times.

Edited by Buck52

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

That's typical of the VA