VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question about "Dependency not currently eligible" what does this mean?

Rate this question

OldJoe

Question

After about two years (1.9795 to be exact as of this posting) into my DRO process I noticed something peculiar about the status of my claim.  The entry of "Dependency not currently eligible (new)".  I could have sworn that this wasn't there before, when it was added I have no clue.

What does this mean?

Also, I could have sworn it had previously had stated separately my right and left knees, but now it states "BILATERAL KNEE CONDITION (New)".

Not trying to read tea leaves here because I know all that this could mean is that they are getting ready to send me a doosie of a denial letter.  But, I am curious if this means I am finally getting ready to enter the next phase (good or bad).

I have included screen shots for eBennies to let you see what I saw.

Claim status as of 14June2018.jpg

CurrentDisabilitiesAsOf14June2018.jpg

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

To be eligible for dependent compensation, you need a minimum of a 30 percent rating.  Since you dont have that, at least currently (20 percent), you dont qualify for dependent compensation.  

Source:  https://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/resources_comp01.asp

If you read this, it shows you arent able to get compensation benefits for depenendets until you are rated 30 percent or higher.  

It means they are considering your knees for bilateral rather than separate. Dont know about the dependency. If you dont have dependents it's not an issue.

Thanks for the reply.  After almost 2 years, I guess any change in eBennies is a good sign (means something is happening whether good or bad).  I know there have been people who have been waiting longer for the DRO process to complete. 

I know it could be another year (or more) before anything happens.  But I don't trust this new "RAMP" process (smells to good to be true).  Change over to something brand new when, "in theory", I should be in the final home stretch of a claim, whether it is good or bad.  When they start bandying about how many are getting positive results.  You have to think that the other part of the 100% aren't and they are now sitting in a queue that won't even begin (if they are lucky) to go before a "Board" (or what ever they call the kangaroo court they are going to convene) until 2019 at the earliest.

Yes this is just my opinion, and I am happy for the people that have successfully gotten through this new trial process.  They are the fortunate few that will have managed to get into a process that shaved years off a process that would have probably gotten a positive appeal in the end.  I am very happy for them.  Unfortunately mine, well, due to my mishandling of my initial claim many years ago, I unfortunately see myself in that "other" group and waiting even longer for a successful outcome.

Thanks Broncovet the link is helpful.

After about two years I think I just got more excited than I should have after seeing something change.  None of it had been there before and the knees were listed separately originally.

The way they worded the dependency statement just made me wonder. So use to either you are or your are not, not "not currently eligible". (like I will be in the future?)

Just kind of caught me off guard.

I guess I was hoping that just these changes were a "sign" that something was moving again.

Edited by OldJoe

DRO (?) Review or Hearing?

Could you post a redacted copy of your Denial Decision? Have you supplied the VA mandatory, Post Decision New & Material Evidence, required for either the DRO Review or Hearing? Failure to do so will result in an Administrative continued Denial.