Sponsored Ads

• Latest Donations

• Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sponsored Ads

• Searches Community Forums, Blog and more

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
OldJoe

Question about "Dependency not currently eligible" what does this mean?

Question

After about two years (1.9795 to be exact as of this posting) into my DRO process I noticed something peculiar about the status of my claim.  The entry of "Dependency not currently eligible (new)".  I could have sworn that this wasn't there before, when it was added I have no clue.

What does this mean?

Also, I could have sworn it had previously had stated separately my right and left knees, but now it states "BILATERAL KNEE CONDITION (New)".

Not trying to read tea leaves here because I know all that this could mean is that they are getting ready to send me a doosie of a denial letter.  But, I am curious if this means I am finally getting ready to enter the next phase (good or bad).

I have included screen shots for eBennies to let you see what I saw.

Claim status as of 14June2018.jpg

CurrentDisabilitiesAsOf14June2018.jpg

5 answers to this question

It means they are considering your knees for bilateral rather than separate. Dont know about the dependency. If you dont have dependents it's not an issue.

Ad

Thanks for the reply.  After almost 2 years, I guess any change in eBennies is a good sign (means something is happening whether good or bad).  I know there have been people who have been waiting longer for the DRO process to complete. 

I know it could be another year (or more) before anything happens.  But I don't trust this new "RAMP" process (smells to good to be true).  Change over to something brand new when, "in theory", I should be in the final home stretch of a claim, whether it is good or bad.  When they start bandying about how many are getting positive results.  You have to think that the other part of the 100% aren't and they are now sitting in a queue that won't even begin (if they are lucky) to go before a "Board" (or what ever they call the kangaroo court they are going to convene) until 2019 at the earliest.

Yes this is just my opinion, and I am happy for the people that have successfully gotten through this new trial process.  They are the fortunate few that will have managed to get into a process that shaved years off a process that would have probably gotten a positive appeal in the end.  I am very happy for them.  Unfortunately mine, well, due to my mishandling of my initial claim many years ago, I unfortunately see myself in that "other" group and waiting even longer for a successful outcome.

To be eligible for dependent compensation, you need a minimum of a 30 percent rating.  Since you dont have that, at least currently (20 percent), you dont qualify for dependent compensation.  

Source:  https://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/resources_comp01.asp

If you read this, it shows you arent able to get compensation benefits for depenendets until you are rated 30 percent or higher.  

Thanks Broncovet the link is helpful.

After about two years I think I just got more excited than I should have after seeing something change.  None of it had been there before and the knees were listed separately originally.

The way they worded the dependency statement just made me wonder. So use to either you are or your are not, not "not currently eligible". (like I will be in the future?)

Just kind of caught me off guard.

I guess I was hoping that just these changes were a "sign" that something was moving again.

Edited by OldJoe

Just because you dont qualify for dependency doesnt mean that nothing is happening.