VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

College Degree Myth

Rate this question

Ddsr

Question

Although there are many that believe Voc Rehab or any college training will deny one for IU, this is false. It states such in the the M21-1MR:

Deny IU claims or reduce compensation that is based on a finding of IU only if the facts demonstrate that the Veteran

• is not precluded from obtaining gainful employment by reason of SC disability
  • has in fact obtained gainful employment, or
  • has failed to cooperate with development, such as failing to return a competed VA Form 21-8940when requested.

Notes:

• The fact that a Veteran is participating in a program of rehabilitation does not preclude a finding of IU.
  • The fact that a Veteran has completed a program of rehabilitation does not mandate a termination of IU unless sustained employment is also demonstrated.
  • When IU is claimed following a completed program of rehabilitation, pay special attention to evidence of program results that indicate the Veteran's ability and willingness to engage in a substantially gainful occupation.

Bronco thank you for the post. Yes I just get tired of hearing otherwise. Many are clueless as to this truth.

• HadIt.com Elder

Just my opinion 

If a Veteran is less educated and his age is 55 or over this will help the rater make a decision or factor it it all in when adjudicating IU Claims, although it states in the CFR's that age is not a determining factor, 

or was trained to do a specific job and his S.C. Disability  prevents him from doing it.

this is a contradictable yes  but its just my opinion 

Having a higher education will help the veteran find more  high level entry paying jobs of semadary   that otherwise would take a more physical demand on the veteran and he could not perform his job duty.  

but I agree with broncovet having a higher education  should not render a veteran from being unemployable.

but for the less UNfortunate veterans with less educations  I'd say its in his favor for the I.U.

Edited by Buck52

SSDI (Social Security Disability) is means tested by your age and your education.  Below age 50 get a job any job, age 50-54 you can be trained for any job, 55-50 only if you can't work in your field, 60+ and your home free.

--You loose the use of your right leg, however, you can use your hands and weave baskets.  Age 54 and below, your a basket weaver.  Age 55 and up, you are good to go.

VA Disability is "supposed" to compensate you for what you can not do because of your in service disability.  Nothing about education or ability.

--You loose the use of your right leg, however, you can use your hands and weave baskets.  You can choose to be a basket weaver or not, you get compensated for your leg.

IU means you are unemployable because of your VA disabilities.  You and your docs have to prove that and the VA docs have to agree.  I'm not sure if age, education or ability have anything to do with it.  Must be criteria on the VA form for IU somewhere??

--You loose the use of your right leg, however, you can use your hands and weave baskets.  You and your docs need to prove you can not weave a basket to get IU.

Just my thoughts,

Hamslice

P.S., This may not apply to you if you have a degree in "under water" basket weaving.

Hamslice very interesting and vague analysis your bring to the discussion. I would say indeed these are just your thoughts. 

7 minutes ago, Hamslice said:

SSDI (Social Security Disability) is means tested by your age and your education.  Below age 50 get a job any job, age 50-54 you can be trained for any job, 55-50 only if you can't work in your field, 60+ and your home free.

--You loose the use of your right leg, however, you can use your hands and weave baskets.  Age 54 and below, your a basket weaver.  Age 55 and up, you are good to go.

VA Disability is "supposed" to compensate you for what you can not do because of your in service disability.  Nothing about education or ability.

--You loose the use of your right leg, however, you can use your hands and weave baskets.  You can choose to be a basket weaver or not, you get compensated for your leg.

IU means you are unemployable because of your VA disabilities.  You and your docs have to prove that and the VA docs have to agree.  I'm not sure if age, education or ability have anything to do with it.  Must be criteria on the VA form for IU somewhere??

--You loose the use of your right leg, however, you can use your hands and weave baskets.  You and your docs need to prove you can not weave a basket to get IU.

Just my thoughts,

Hamslice

P.S., This may not apply to you if you have a degree in "under water" basket weaving.

I have a question Hamslice. So are you saying as a fact or just your thoughts that one WILL be DENIED SSDI if they are under the age of 50? Lets just say this to be clear I understand you. Say a Veteran applies for SSDI due to MH conditions currently SC rated for. And lets just say the veteran is 47 years of age and they apply for SSDI and are awarded the SSDI within 3 months. Would you say NO Way this happens? Or a possibility?

11 minutes ago, Hamslice said:

Just my thoughts,

Hamslice

Also Hamslice indeed there is specific guidelines a rater CANNOT deny a Veteran for when applying for IU. Veteran cannot be denied IU due to age. Veteran cannot be denied IU due to education. The education part if you pay very close attention you can see that was the Origional post you responded to. That i state it is FACT one cannot be denied IU due to EDUCATION. But again as you prove many veterans will still question the FACTS. I will soon post here the guidelines for IU.