VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

College Degree Myth

Rate this question

Ddsr

Question

Although there are many that believe Voc Rehab or any college training will deny one for IU, this is false. It states such in the the M21-1MR:

Deny IU claims or reduce compensation that is based on a finding of IU only if the facts demonstrate that the Veteran

• is not precluded from obtaining gainful employment by reason of SC disability
  • has in fact obtained gainful employment, or
  • has failed to cooperate with development, such as failing to return a competed VA Form 21-8940when requested.

Notes:

• The fact that a Veteran is participating in a program of rehabilitation does not preclude a finding of IU.
  • The fact that a Veteran has completed a program of rehabilitation does not mandate a termination of IU unless sustained employment is also demonstrated.
  • When IU is claimed following a completed program of rehabilitation, pay special attention to evidence of program results that indicate the Veteran's ability and willingness to engage in a substantially gainful occupation.

Thanks Ddsr, I'll try. However I did get a schedule A letter done in September 2017 by my county VR office that might effect my ability to get a VR feasibility letter, I don't know. I don't think the VA voc rehab is going to be of any help.

20 minutes ago, NFLFan1980 said:

Thanks Ddsr, I'll try. However I did get a schedule A letter done in September 2017 by my county VR office that might effect my ability to get a VR feasibility letter, I don't know. I don't think the VA voc rehab is going to be of any help.

What do you mean VR will be of no help. If you are truly IU not able to maintain feasible employment then Voc Rehab will deny you into the program. That is gold for using the letter they use to deny you for IU claim.

15 hours ago, NFLFan1980 said:

@NFLFan1980 Yes Dr Brett Vallette - in Colorado - my IMO ws 4 yrs ago so the $2,000 price tag surely is higher but worth it.....  mine was for PTSD/MST so you may need an IMO/IME combined which is two seperate fees. 

I had 2 degrees and was in the VR program and awarded IU - the same month I attained my B.S. degree.  

My VR counselor who had treated me poorly the entire time in the program was p.o.'d to say the least, when I got the award. My Psychologist stated with my ongoing trauma- blocking the inmate who assaulted me parole  and the severity of the trauma I should not work. 

She called me at least 4 more times in the next year asking if I could possibly go to work!? All I would tell her - I was awarded  IU in Dec 2016 - I need to work on therapy & healing. -

insert a word I am not allowed to type here... *&^%$

Edited by L

On 8/19/2018 at 6:06 PM, Ddsr said:

What do you mean VR will be of no help. If you are truly IU not able to maintain feasible employment then Voc Rehab will deny you into the program. That is gold for using the letter they use to deny you for IU claim.

The lady who does the voc rehab is out on maternity leave. Not sure when she'll be back. So would they send me to a doctor to see if i'm compatible with voc rehab?

On 8/20/2018 at 8:54 AM, L said:

@NFLFan1980 Yes Dr Brett Vallette - in Colorado - my IMO ws 4 yrs ago so the $2,000 price tag surely is higher but worth it.....  mine was for PTSD/MST so you may need an IMO/IME combined which is two seperate fees. 

I had 2 degrees and was in the VR program and awarded IU - the same month I attained my B.S. degree.  

My VR counselor who had treated me poorly the entire time in the program was p.o.'d to say the least, when I got the award. My Psychologist stated with my ongoing trauma- blocking the inmate who assaulted me parole  and the severity of the trauma I should not work. 

She called me at least 4 more times in the next year asking if I could possibly go to work!? All I would tell her - I was awarded  IU in Dec 2016 - I need to work on therapy & healing. -

insert a word I am not allowed to type here... *&^%$

Ok, i'll call over there on Monday and get some info.

Wow that VR counselor sounds whacked. Almost like she took it as a slap to the face. Was that the VA VR or county VR?

Thanks for the info guys. I stopped by DAV this week and talked to a rep there and he got me into the system and gave me some forms for my employers to fill out so that'll be my next step. Hopefully they don't just sit on it.

16 minutes ago, NFLFan1980 said:

The lady who does the voc rehab is out on maternity leave. Not sure when she'll be back. So would they send me to a doctor to see if i'm compatible with voc rehab?

No. All the VR Counselor will do is listen to you tell them all of you SC and problems. The goal is if they listen and feel you are not able to do the Chaptor 31 VR then they will say you cant do it. Then on the spot you ask for a Letter from them stating this. That letter then use to submit to your claim as proof. By the way what are your SC and %?