VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

College Degree Myth

Rate this question

Ddsr

Question

Although there are many that believe Voc Rehab or any college training will deny one for IU, this is false. It states such in the the M21-1MR:

Deny IU claims or reduce compensation that is based on a finding of IU only if the facts demonstrate that the Veteran

• is not precluded from obtaining gainful employment by reason of SC disability
  • has in fact obtained gainful employment, or
  • has failed to cooperate with development, such as failing to return a competed VA Form 21-8940when requested.

Notes:

• The fact that a Veteran is participating in a program of rehabilitation does not preclude a finding of IU.
  • The fact that a Veteran has completed a program of rehabilitation does not mandate a termination of IU unless sustained employment is also demonstrated.
  • When IU is claimed following a completed program of rehabilitation, pay special attention to evidence of program results that indicate the Veteran's ability and willingness to engage in a substantially gainful occupation.

3 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

Yes I agree you will most likely be approved if you submitted the Voc Rehab  UNFEASIBLE LETTER  its just that this particular rater is not sure about something in your claim and has to take it to a senior rater to look at   sometimes deferred is not a bad thing.

Yes the moment i received that Feasibility Letter I put the IU Claim in. Still think it is Bullshit that my rater deferred with the Feasibility Letter in hand and all. Im not sure that even though I graduated, upon graduation I was found to not be able to maintain feasible employment and not able to do the employment search part. My VR Counselor decided this by looking at my VA records and seeing my MH state has grown much worse and I was terminated by employer. He then said I am writing you a Feasibility Letter as employers will not hire you at this time. So but IF I am denied that SSDI award letter and medical opinion should seal the deal if they feel i do not have strong medical opinion. Also a statement from current PSYCH Dr. 

• HadIt.com Elder

I learned a long time ago VA don't care what we think & VA is good with the B.S. they always have been.  just be sure to check your correct EED even if its just delayed one month  don't let them cheat you out of anything they owe you  and they will if we let them get away with it.

Edited by Buck52

2 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

VA is good with the B.S. they always have been.  just be sure to check your correct EED even if its just delayed one month  don't let them cheat you out of anything they owe you  and they will if we let them get away with it.

Sorry Buck still getting the Abbreviations down lol. What is EED? And I am staying at it and positive. I believe in the end I will be IU. Funny shit is I was terminated from employer working for the VA Hospital. Even though I am a Disabled Veteran they still terminated me without even speaking with me. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Hold on Hoss

After reading your last post

You graduated  upon  graduation  >>.  is when the voc rehab counselors wrote the letter ? he contradicted his self in my opinion...

ok if you were able to set in a classroom OR Even at a computer at home for extended periods of time  this is questionable to the rater as for as unemployment   they look at every possibility that you can be employed, they are probably looking at sedimentary type jobs and this has the rater in doubt

even if you have a masters degree and can't do what you have the degree for then the degree is actually useless & with the VA if your able to do any type of employment  usually means a denial. 

In this case you were allowed to further your education although it may not be what you can do what you were trained to do  this was applied to the fact before you were render the feasibility letter  in other words the Voc Rehab Counselor messed up letting you continue with your education.  the Rater caught this.

so now I am unsure how this will turn out?

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

The EED Abrev is  ( Earliest Effective Date)  For Retro payment. Normally going back to the date claim was first filed.

7 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

Hold on Hoss

After reading your last post

You graduated  upon  graduation  >>.  is when the voc rehab counselors wrote the letter ? he contradicted his self in my opinion...

ok if you were able to set in a classroom OR Even at a computer at home for extended periods of time  this is questionable to the rater as for as unemployment   they look at every possibility that you can be employed, they are probably looking at sedimentary type jobs and this has the rater in doubt

so now I am unsure how this will turn out?

Wrong Buck. The rater is not allowed to use Education or attending college as a reason to deny my IU. The Feasibility Letter states my SC grew to the point where I cannot maintain feasible employment. I am positive I will get the IU. But I understand your thinking as other vets believe as you do which is totally false.