VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

College Degree Myth

Rate this question

Ddsr

Question

Although there are many that believe Voc Rehab or any college training will deny one for IU, this is false. It states such in the the M21-1MR:

Deny IU claims or reduce compensation that is based on a finding of IU only if the facts demonstrate that the Veteran

• is not precluded from obtaining gainful employment by reason of SC disability
  • has in fact obtained gainful employment, or
  • has failed to cooperate with development, such as failing to return a competed VA Form 21-8940when requested.

Notes:

• The fact that a Veteran is participating in a program of rehabilitation does not preclude a finding of IU.
  • The fact that a Veteran has completed a program of rehabilitation does not mandate a termination of IU unless sustained employment is also demonstrated.
  • When IU is claimed following a completed program of rehabilitation, pay special attention to evidence of program results that indicate the Veteran's ability and willingness to engage in a substantially gainful occupation.

• HadIt.com Elder

''My VRC did not give me a letter and then i continued on VR.'' 

If you did not have that letter at the time you submitted your IU Claim it basically is a claim for increase 

So if the raters don't have the Gold Letter*(as we call it) I don't see how you will be approved for IU?

maybe you will be increase but denied on the IU

Again I am not familiar with your claim or claims, Only in these post of yours recently posted do I know anything about your claim & the information you provided.

1 hour ago, Buck52 said:

''My VRC did not give me a letter and then i continued on VR.'' 

If you did not have that letter at the time you submitted your IU Claim it basically is a claim for increase 

So if the raters don't have the Gold Letter*(as we call it) I don't see how you will be approved for IU?

maybe you will be increase but denied on the IU

Again I am not familiar with your claim or claims, Only in these post of yours recently posted do I know anything about your claim & the information you provided.

Buck I already stated I have the VR Feasibility Letter submitted with my IU claim. I already have been given the increase. The IU will be decided within the next month

I had 2 A.S. Degrees and was in Voc Rehab the month I was in VR - Graduating with a B.S. degree the month I was awarded IU. BUT - I agree with Buck52 - it is individually awarded and sometime more based on abilities....... than disabilities. 

My panic attacks - rendered me as non-productive for employment but after 43 yrs of continuous work. 

1 hour ago, L said:

I had 2 A.S. Degrees and was in Voc Rehab the month I was in VR - Graduating with a B.S. degree the month I was awarded IU. BUT - I agree with Buck52 - it is individually awarded and sometime more based on abilities....... than disabilities. 

My panic attacks - rendered me as non-productive for employment but after 43 yrs of continuous work. 

I understand all of what everyone is saying, i also agree. My point is I have the VR Letter submitted with the claim, SSDI awarded and I have Doctor Opinion from that stating I cannot maintain employment, as well as a current psych doctor statements nexus she is going to write me. All of this is very strong proof of current SC Depression State. I am waiting for the decision that should be very soon. If not approved I will submit the SSDI evidence as well as the current psych nexus statement. 

1 minute ago, Ddsr said:

I understand all of what everyone is saying, i also agree. My point is I have the VR Letter submitted with the claim, SSDI awarded and I have Doctor Opinion from that stating I cannot maintain employment, as well as a current psych doctor statements nexus she is going to write me. All of this is very strong proof of current SC Depression State. I am waiting for the decision that should be very soon. If not approved I will submit the SSDI evidence as well as the current psych nexus statement. 

1 minute ago, Ddsr said:

Also funny thing is I was not looking for any of this, it all happened then I talked with other members of hadit that suggested i talk with VR Counselor to communicate what was going on with me. I did this then was told the VR Feasibility Letter is Golden evidence and to submit that and apply for IU. Since I have been terminated from another employer prior to the IU claim, as well as my IBS and depression causing havoc both which are SC. Forward to today, I almost wish I had not even put in for the IU as it is all making me feel even more anxiety and depression due to me worrying about it all. I felt like it was being laid at my feet to submit IU, to get better and take care of myself and son, but now I am feeling that that plan along with the VR letter is all a bunch of bullshit. Either it is all strong proof which I did not ask to be the way I am, or all of this evidence is xxxxxxx bullshit right! I am venting just very stressed about it all. Hope it is over soon.

On 6/15/2018 at 6:19 PM, Ddsr said:

Notes:

• The fact that a Veteran is participating in a program of rehabilitation does not preclude a finding of IU.
  • The fact that a Veteran has completed a program of rehabilitation does not mandate a termination of IU unless sustained employment is also demonstrated.
  • When IU is claimed following a completed program of rehabilitation, pay special attention to evidence of program results that indicate the Veteran's ability and willingness to engage in a substantially gainful occupation.

IU claimed following successful completion of VR culminating in a College Degree will always receive Max Scrutiny as discussed above. Ability and willingness to do ANY Type of SGO that would produce in excess of the SGI $12,440 yrly (under65) $239 per week becomes the focal point of the Rater.