• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Disability claim for cancer patient

Go to solution Solved by Berta,

Question

I am the primary caregiver for my father. He is a Vietnam Vet, recently diagnosed with a presumptive disease, multiple myeloma. I went through a VSO to file a disability claim on his behalf. She listed his myeloma, along with other health conditions on his application.  We faxed all requested health records and needed information. He has now been told he needs to go to two different C & P exams. My father is unable to complete these exams due to his physical condition and extremely compromised immune system. He is in the middle of an intense chemo cycle. It is extremely difficult to get him to his chemo appointment once a week in a cancer center. We can not risk him getting an illness from visiting one of these appointed sites. I believe these C & P exams are likely for the conditions listed by the VSO other than his cancer.  Can his claim possibly be approved , considering he has a presumptive disease, if we cancel these appointments? 

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

What does your VSO say? Missing C & P Exams are detrimental to the Comp Claim. Is the Cancer the only condition with an Offical Medical Diagnosis? As a verified, Boots on the Ground Nam Vet,

Great advice Gastone-  This article from Hill @ Ponton ( Matt Hill is a member here , explains more about this condition as to getting a proper rating: https://www.hillandponton.com/agent-or

• HadIt.com Elder
  • Solution

Great advice Gastone- 

This article from Hill @ Ponton ( Matt Hill is a member here , explains more about this condition as to getting a proper rating:

https://www.hillandponton.com/agent-orange-va-disability-claims-multiple-myeloma/

Also  BVA cases offer insight into how this is rated:

"ORDER

An initial 100 percent disability rating, but no more, for 
multiple myeloma is granted, beginning February 13, 2009, 
subject to the laws and regulations governing the payment of 
monetary awards.

Entitlement to an initial compensable disability rating for 
smoldering myeloma, before February 13, 2009, is denied."

https://www.va.gov/vetapp09/files5/0944359.txt

In this above case BVA awarded the 100% , with no mention of the usual cancer awards that involve residuals-rated after the first 6 month at 100%-the case has to be carefully read to understand why-

I agree that your father's medical records should warrant the 100% right off the bat- but the decision will determine whether he will need a future residuals rating-after treatment.

As Gastone said:

"Your POA-VSO needs to contact the RO Rating Department to discuss the need for the different C & Ps."

We had a vet here who had medical evidence that he could not attend some C & P exams, and the VA told him to have his private doctor fill out some DBQs.

It was a long and convoluted thread- lots of downloads, only to reveal  the veteran never had the private doctor fill out the DBQs-and of course the VA denied the claim.

It is important to get something in writing, or via email from the VA as to their willingness to accept DBQs or maybe just the private records ( which they will need anyhow) to avert the need for VA C & P exams.

With incountry Vietnam Exposure to AO and with a  AO presumptive disability-the claim itself should be no problem-but the C & P issue needs to be resolved ASAP.

Edited by Berta
  • Thanks 1

What does your VSO say? Missing C & P Exams are detrimental to the Comp Claim.

Is the Cancer the only condition with an Offical Medical Diagnosis? As a verified, Boots on the Ground Nam Vet, Claiming a Presumptive AO condition will be handled as a Nehmer Claim and expedited accordingly.

Your POA-VSO needs to contact the RO Rating Department to discuss the need for the different C & Ps. As to the Awarding of an SC for the Cancer, as long as your non-VMC Medical Records pass muster, an actual C & P won't be necessary. His Private oncologists Complete Diagnosis and Treatment Notes will suffice for Rating purposes.

• Thanks 1

The VA will provide the necessary transportation via ambulance or Fitted equip Vehicle  to get him to the C&P Exam,  its is a must he attend the exam  (imo) VA don't care what kind of excuse a veteran has not attending a C&P Exam   (they don't care) Normally missing a C&P EXAM For compensation is a automatic denial.

Unless as Gastone mention.. Your VSO/POA  NEEDS to call and see what can be done in your hubby situation?

Why now just filing this claim?

Edited by Buck52

PPL with compromised immune systems are usually seen in public with mask. If the normal mask is not enough an N95 - can be obtained in any hospital upon request. This is a mask that is utilized for higher level contagious diseases and should be good for anyone. I hope you do not think this is insensitive but with these precautions and a wheelchair - should be able to attend. Best of luck. 

Sorry L but I agree with Buck.  If they are requiring the appointment, and they are, some sort of medical transportation should be considered a reasonable accommodation.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Lynette Burkey
      My husband was a crew chief on F-16 fighter jets. He was stationed at Kadena Air Base in Okinawa Japan. In 2000 he was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma and in 2001 he had a bone marrow transplant. He was forced to retire from his career because they said he was unfit to serve world wide because his cancer is incurable and he would need to be monitored regularly.
      We started the journey to apply for benefits in 2000 and have been denied multiple times. We finally hired an attorney who is very experienced with this type of matter. We are at the stage where we will appeal to a higher stage. If that doesn't work, we'll go to the hearing stage. I cannot believe they deny AO was at Kadena. My husband saw it being sprayed around buildings for weed control and he actually at times sprayed the area.
      We also included another area where he could have become ill.  He handled jet fuel almost everyday for over 20 years, which could have contributed to his situation.
      That's our story. Our attorney believes we will win. I hope he is right.  I just don't understand why thus has been so difficult.
    • By Marine Corp 69/70
      Got a call from the Regional office around 1600  answers the call and the person said that the line was recorded and it was a conference call about va disability claims if I had a claim that I had a problem with and want to talk to the speaker on the conference call at the RO live. I listen to the call about thirty minutes as Veterans were calling  in about their claims, the speaker would listen to the Veteran and tell than that a person from the RO would call back about their claim and see if it was done right. Has anybody gotten a call like that,wanted to talk about my claim but had second thoughts.

• By Peggy-KS
      McClatchy Investigators asked the VA for cancer information among the VA patients via FOIA request.
      Now the VA says "Wrong Data" because cancer rates are skewed (elevated), you should use this data.
      VA has a problem with numbers:
          How many homeless veterans?
          How many veteran suicides?
          How many veterans are waiting for care?
      https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/nation-world/national/national-security/article236421513.html
    • By rgpadr
      My husband, Marine Korea, Camp Lejeune, received 100% disability for kidney cancer, then VA cancelled it saying not enough proof.  Can't be biopsied due to congestive heart failure and location of small tumor and radiologist and urologic oncologist have stated he has renal cell carcinoma.  There are CTScans. He appealed.
      Now ALL his medical records from the original disability claim and the appeal, all filed by the local VA rep. have disappeared from his online file.  This was confirmed today by the VA dr. who did his yrly. checkup.  He could not find them either and said it is very difficult to delete the files and they are gone; showed me the empty screens.  For those that are wondering his medical for the cancer was done at outside source because he has retired medical insurance from NYS and medicare.
      Has anyone heard of files disappearing this way and what have they done about it?  We live in Bayfield, CO, 4.5 hrs from Albuquerque, NM and 7 hrs from Denver?  I do have copies of the relevant files. 
      Thank you for any help,
      Bob and Alice
    • By vgorman0306
      Hey guys, 

I don't know if I'm in the right place but i was needing some clarification. After fighting with the military for six years, the C&P examiner stated that my condition precludes me from any physical occupation. 
      I developed asthma back in 2012, while in service. Is that typical wording for pretty much everyone? I guess my English isn't that great and i would like someone to please explain to me what that entails? The examiner 
      also stated that there is a 50% chance or greater that my injury was incurred in the line of duty, does that mean that they service connected me? 

thank you for responding. 
  • Ads

• Our picks

• Finally heard back that I received my 100% Overall rating and a 100% PTSD rating Following my long appeal process!

My question is this, given the fact that my appeal was on the advanced docket and is an “Expedited” appeal, what happens now and how long(ish) is the process from here on out with retro and so forth? I’ve read a million things but nothing with an expedited appeal status.

Anyone deal with this situation before? My jump is from 50 to 100 over the course of 2 years if that helps some. I only am asking because as happy as I am, I would be much happier to pay some of these bills off!
      • 13 replies
    • I told reviewer that I had a bad C&P, and that all I wanted was a fair shake, and she even said, that was what she was all ready viewed for herself. The first C&P don't even  reflect my Treatment in the VA PTSD clinic. In my new C&P I was only asked about symptoms, seeing shit, rituals, nightmares, paying bills and about childhood, but didn't ask about details of it. Just about twenty question, and  nothing about stressor,
    • This is the latest Compensation & Pension (C&P) Clinicians Guide dated 20180719. The only other one I've seen is dated 2002, including the one on this website and the VA website. I got this from my claims agent, who got it from the VA.

VA Compensation & Pension (C&P) Clinicians Guide 2 Final Corrected 20180719.pdf
        • Thanks
      • 7 replies
    • I don’t say thank you enough to all of you...
      You, yes you, are the reason HadIt.com has remained a resource-rich resource. Thousands come each month to read, ask questions, or to feel a sense of community.

Last month June 2020, we over 50k visitors they viewed over 160k pages. Veterans and their advocates, spouses, children, and friends of veterans come looking for answers. Because we have posts dating back 15 years and articles on the home page, they usually can find an answer or at least get pointed in the right direction.

You all made that possible. Thank you.
      • 8 replies
    • Help HadIt.com stay online buy a subscription
      If you can afford it and want to help hadit.com consider buying a subscription this gives you as free viewing of the site and allows me to budget in subscription payments.

You can try it for 1 month for $5 or get a monthly subscription or a yearly subscription.

Subscribe here https://community.hadit.com/subscriptions/
      • 6 replies
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines