VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Old C&P Exam question

Rate this question

16thGLO

Question

Had my C&P exam for bilateral degenerative hand arthritis with limitation of motion on June 14.  Background:  service connected for bilateral carpal tunnel post surgery (surgeries 2006, 2007).  I had the common symptoms of carpal tunnel prior to surgery with additional pain in multiple fingers to include the pinky finger.  After carpal tunnel surgery, most of the pain was relieved, however, I still hand intermittent pain in various fingers to include the pinky, both hands.  This went on for 13 years or so with continuous complaints(well documented) of pain to both VA and civilian doctors.  By now I had multiple fingers that were stiff and limited in motion and had one finger joint replaced.   When gathering documents for my disability claim, I came across the C&P exam from December 2005, 7 months after leaving active duty. which states on both the radiological report and the doctors findings that there was osteoarthritic changes involving PIP and DIP joints right hand 4 fingers (spurs and narrowing of the joints) and on the thumb as well as moderate osteoarthritic changes (spurs and narrowing of the joints) to the 4 fingers of the left hand.  Am I right in thinking this previous C&P exam 7 months after active duty really helps my case or does it not help at all? I appreciate any input. 

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

It was less than one year so that is presumptive.  I am surprised that nothing came out of the C&P.  Yes, I believe that should be included in your claim.

• HadIt.com Elder

16thGLO

If you have not yet?

You need to get a copy of that C&P Exam and see what the examiner checked and reported.

If it was VA C&P, check with release of Information desk  sign a FOIA & Request that exam Request the date the exam was on...or go back past that day  say a year and request all medical records.

If it was Contracted out Then check with the VBA (Veterans Benefit Administration) sign the FOIA

Do this ASAP.

Thank you for the input.  I did include copies from the older C&P exam (2005) in my new claim (2018).  All this was new to me at the time and I did not realize what the document was saying.  Also the exam involved multiple parts of the body.