• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• Trouble Remembering? This helped me.

I have memory problems and as some of you may know I highly recommend Evernote and have for years. Though I've found that writing helps me remember more. I ran across Tom's videos on youtube, I'm a bit geeky and I also use an IPad so if you take notes on your IPad or you are thinking of going paperless check it out. I'm really happy with it, I use it with a program called Noteshelf 2.

Click here to purchase your digital journal. HadIt.com receives a commission on each purchase.

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Question

is this in my favor?   The veteran's use of opiates, cannabis, and alcohol began prior to service, thus current/recent use/abuse is not caused by an in-service related event. Given
the veteran's consistent diagnosis and treatment of PTSD, and the frequency of relapse of substance use, it is as least as likely as not that his substance use
(to include opioid use disorder) is aggravated beyond its natural progression by his PTSD symptoms.

at least as likely as not is the 50% mark and thats all it takes to win

push goes to the vet

except, I was denied.  You think I'd win in ramp?  Ive got additional evidence...I've been hospitalized three times,.  Once, in a lockdown ward/

Edited by tylerb333

What did they cite as the reason for denial?  At least as likely as not should be favorable.  Can you post a redacted SOC?

It clearly states he had prior substance abuse and

14 hours ago, tylerb333 said:

is this in my favor?   The veteran's use of opiates, cannabis, and alcohol began prior to service, thus current/recent use/abuse is not caused by an in-service related event. Given
the veteran's consistent diagnosis and treatment of PTSD, and the frequency of relapse of substance use, it is as least as likely as not that his substance use
(to include opioid use disorder) is aggravated beyond its natural progression by his PTSD symptoms.

You were denied correct?  What was the denial on the SOC?  What lane are you in under the RAMP program?  HLR or SLR?  This wording is a clear denial based on the writer's statement in the second sentence that it "is not caused by an in-service related event".  All this examiner is stating is that your substance abuse has gotten worse and progressing based on PTSD symptoms.  Have you ever been diagnosed with PTSD?

On another note, you need to get into rehab and get yourself clean.  You can't learn to heal and get better until you do so.  Good luck and I hope you do get clean.  Substance abuse is never good 😞

Yes I'm 70 percent with secondary substance use disorder.  I have a total rating of 80 percent.  The soc said I was able to follow direction, etc.  And I would likely get better with treatment.  

Edited by tylerb333

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By nacole
      Hi, Berta (everyone), I am curious if there’s any instructions on how to go about:
      DIC is granted & accrued / death pension benefits are denied. My VA rep (Colorado VA office), recently explained to me that my mom was awarded DIC benefits ( I filed on her behalf ), effective the day of his death (my dad died Dec.30, 2017) of...
      1-Pneumonia  
      2-COPD
      3-CAD
      but, we (she) was denied accrued because the Army / VA did not owe him any money, since he never filed for benefits while alive. While that part is true, he never filed because he was told he did not have agent orange, he was told he “wasn’t in the right theater”, course that “theater” explanation is false. Vietnam establishes theater now, period. My dad was on ground (in air) for a year. Further my dad’s records I received from archives (medals included) do not have a lot of information in them. I have a hard time understanding what they do say. My dad was 191st Military Intellegence, not sure if that is why I have trouble making sense of the records they gave me or if that has anything to do with why I had such a trouble free approval on DIC portion of our claim (approved first time & expedited approval within 3 months)..to which we are grateful. However, I have an original document from 1989 that reads, “ In regards to YOU’RE request to be tested for agent orange...Donald L. Welch...” (my dad)..you’re appointment is scheduled for ...1989 at ... etc. then written in red pen on the top of the document is written “6-8 weeks”. I prusume his “testing” (set for an entire day 8am-6pm) did not inform my dad he had exposure, because he then would have filed! Yet, clearly he did (death certificate reads CAD) & DIC awarded for presumptive CAD! Throughout his lengthy medical history of:  Arteries blocked (multiple), Surgical stents, cardiac-arrest, COPD,  bronchitis-chronic, lung problems, etc. He believed he did not qualify for benefits. Months before his death he went to VA medical at his brothers insistence & on the way home from getting RX (for the first time ever from the VA) he told his brother he was told he wasn’t in the “theater” for agent orange benefits. By the time he got his first RX delivered through the mail...he was dead....of CAD. How do I prove establish that he would have filed for benefits (as far back as 1989, document attached), if they had not told him he didn’t qualify & wasn’t exposed? How do I get addditional records when he was military intelligence? I can’t even find out what battles, his medal citations are even from. I also know his helicopter crashed while he was in Vietnam and his back had either whipping marks or shrapnel scarred all over it...I want to know why. No records if him being a POW. Can anyone link me in the right direction? I’ll have to figure out how to attach documents to post- will follow through.

• By OldJoe
      Been quite awhile since I posted anything...
      (Last post was this
      Been in that hurry up and wait limbo status that everyone hates, but after 630 on appeal via DRO process (average time was somewhere between 311 and 400 days I think) I finally receive a letter informing me that I have a disability examination.
      Since this is my first time through this part of the process I would like some simplified translation of what all of this means.  At face value it looks as if it means they are going to look at my records and do an exam.  But I also, understand that some of these individuals aren't really working in the best interest of the vet.  This fact pretty much is giving me an anxiety attack worrying about it.  I know this is irrational, but, with hearing all of the horror stories it isn't surprising to feel this way.
      I want to be fair and honest going into this exam, but I also know, that by being too "helpful" can actually be detrimental to a claim and getting subsequent medical services (my knees and back are shot).
      Like with my back, flex, I can only bend about 12 Degrees before I have to bend at the waste.  This was measured during therapy I was receiving through private insurance with a galvanometer.
      I know this doesn't mean a hill of beans when it comes to a VA disability examination.
      So any tidbits of sage advice would be greatly appreciated (as long as it doesn't mean committing fraud.)
      I don't know if this will be used as the C&P examination or if this just means a very small step in a "direction" (not necessarily favorable).

Thanks for the advice and encouragement
      Joe

• By hawkfire27
      Please delete
    • By sovereign
      Hello everyone- I just discovered this site and am wondering if anyone could offer some guidance. While stationed in Sicily in 1979, I was in a head-on auto collision. Since Sigonella didn't have a hospital, I was medivac-ed to Naples where I had surgery for broken feet (with surgical screw) and broken knee. After a week, the nurse threatened me with a feeding tube if I didn't eat. I told her I couldn't open my jaws. They x-rayed and found both jaws broken. They didn't do ct scan or anything for my head injury. I was sent to Germany for my teeth to get wired. 
      In 1991 a friend encouraged me to file a claim, which I did and was awarded 20% for ankle, 20% for knee and 0% for misaligned jaw. I didn't file a NOD or anything at the time. I also started having panic attacks in 1991 and agoraphobia (in my record) and subsequently had to quit my job in 1996. Since I lost my insurance, I haven't been to a doctor (except for a few minor things) in over 20 years. I've been reading a lot and see so many things I am eligible for file a claim for. Even things they put in their own c&p exam-- like TMJ and painful scars, etc.
      I have recently started going to the VA for medical and would like to make several claims. I have hep c from the blood transfusions in Naples, I just had a CT Scan and EEG (both with abnormalities) and I can not walk more than half a block without extreme pain in my feet, legs and hips. I have serious depression and rarely sleep or leave my home. I have much trouble with memory, cognition, etc., so it's hard for me to figure out where to begin. 
      Any guidance or suggestions would help tremendously.

• By jfrei
      Ok I’m trying to figure out when I add my dependents to include my wife and kids how this works. I’m told if I include them they get half what I make but split in three ways. But since my wife works part time she makes over the 17k limit so much rather she would get nothing but the other two have the reduced split amount.  But I have the option to just have my kids listed on my benefits and not my wife and they would receive 420 instead of 280 since it’s only spilt between my 1 and 3 year old? Why if my wife helps take care of my children does she even have a limit to her income? He said he didn’t know anything about spousal benefits but to call my local SSA office.... am I missing something?
  • Ads

• Our picks

• Tinnitus comes in two forms: subjective and objective. In subjective tinnitus, only the sufferer will hear the ringing in their own ears. In objective tinnitus, the sound can be heard by a doctor who is examining the ear canals. Objective tinnitus is extremely rare, while subjective tinnitus is by far the most common form of the disorder.

The sounds of tinnitus may vary with the person experiencing it. Some will hear a ringing, while others will hear a buzzing. At times people may hear a chirping or whistling sound. These sounds may be constant or intermittent. They may also vary in volume and are generally more obtrusive when the sufferer is in a quiet environment. Many tinnitus sufferers find their symptoms are at their worst when they’re trying to fall asleep.

...................Buck
    • Precedent Setting CAVC cases cited in the M21-1
      A couple months back before I received my decision I started preparing for the appeal I knew I would be filing.  That is how little faith I had in the VA caring about we the veteran. 

One of the things I did is I went through the entire M21-1 and documented every CAVC precedent case that the VA cited. I did this because I wanted to see what the rater was seeing.  I could not understand for the life of me why so many obviously bad decisions were being handed down.  I think the bottom line is that the wrong type of people are hired as raters.  I think raters should have some kind of legal background.  They do not need to be lawyers but I think paralegals would be a good idea.

There have been more than 3500 precedent setting decisions from the CAVC since 1989.  Now we need to concede that all of them are not favorable to the veteran but I have learned that in a lot of cases even though the veteran lost a case it some rules were established that assisted other veterans.

The document I created has about 200 or so decisions cited in the M21-1.   Considering the fact that there are more than 3500 precedent cases out there I think it is safe to assume the VA purposely left out decisions that would make it almost impossible to deny veteran claims.  Case in point. I know of 14 precedent setting decisions that state the VA cannot ignore or give no weight to outside doctors without providing valid medical reasons as to why.  Most of these decision are not cited by the M21.

It is important that we do our due diligence to make sure we do not get screwed.  I think the M21-1 is incomplete because there is too much information we veterans are finding on our own to get the benefits we deserve

M21-1 Precedent setting decisions .docx
        • Thanks
      • 5 replies
    • Any one heard of this , I filed a claim for this secondary to hypertension, I had a echo cardiogram, that stated the diagnosis was this heart disease. my question is what is the rating for this. attached is the Echo.

doc00580220191213082945.pdf
      • 7 replies
    • Need your support - T-shirts Available - Please buy a mug or a membership
      if you have been thinking about subscribing to an ad-free forum or buying a mug now would a very helpful time to do that.

Thank you for your support
      • 18 replies
    • OK everyone thanks for all the advice I need your help I called VSO complained about length of time on Wednesday of this week today I checked my E benefits and my ratings are in for my ankles that they were denying me 10% for each bilateral which makes 21% I was originally 80% now they’re still saying I’m 80% 

I’m 50% pes planus 30% migraine headaches 20% lumbar 10% tinnitus and now bilateral 21% so 10% left and right ankle Can someone else please do the math because I come up with 86% which makes me 90 what am I missing please help and thank you
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines