VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

tylerb333

Question

is this in my favor?   The veteran's use of opiates, cannabis, and alcohol began prior to service, thus current/recent use/abuse is not caused by an in-service related event. Given
the veteran's consistent diagnosis and treatment of PTSD, and the frequency of relapse of substance use, it is as least as likely as not that his substance use
(to include opioid use disorder) is aggravated beyond its natural progression by his PTSD symptoms.

except, I was denied.  You think I'd win in ramp?  Ive got additional evidence...I've been hospitalized three times,.  Once, in a lockdown ward/

Edited by tylerb333

It clearly states he had prior substance abuse and

14 hours ago, tylerb333 said:

is this in my favor?   The veteran's use of opiates, cannabis, and alcohol began prior to service, thus current/recent use/abuse is not caused by an in-service related event. Given
the veteran's consistent diagnosis and treatment of PTSD, and the frequency of relapse of substance use, it is as least as likely as not that his substance use
(to include opioid use disorder) is aggravated beyond its natural progression by his PTSD symptoms.

You were denied correct?  What was the denial on the SOC?  What lane are you in under the RAMP program?  HLR or SLR?  This wording is a clear denial based on the writer's statement in the second sentence that it "is not caused by an in-service related event".  All this examiner is stating is that your substance abuse has gotten worse and progressing based on PTSD symptoms.  Have you ever been diagnosed with PTSD?

On another note, you need to get into rehab and get yourself clean.  You can't learn to heal and get better until you do so.  Good luck and I hope you do get clean.  Substance abuse is never good 😞

Yes I'm 70 percent with secondary substance use disorder.  I have a total rating of 80 percent.  The soc said I was able to follow direction, etc.  And I would likely get better with treatment.  

Edited by tylerb333

So you are 70% s/c for PTSD with secondary substance abuse disorder?  PTSD is usually a "non-static" and is reviewable unless you are P&T 100% MH rating.