VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

IU Granted - Question

Rate this question

soriol36

Question

Hello All,

I have a question about IU. My husband had an appeal since 2014 for IU and sleep apnea as secondary for PTSD. I just checked vets.gov and it shows that they issue a statement of the case on June 22, 2018 for his sleep apnea issue (which it was denied), however they granted his IU. I went to check ebenefits and his disabilities still show 80% but his benefit summary letter shows he is been rated at 100%. However, the currently award amount did not change or reflected the 100% amount. My question is, how long would it take for the summary letter to reflects the actual award amount (which it should be around $3,500)?

Screen Shot 2018-07-01 at 6.20.07 PM.jpg

6 answers to this question

@soriol36

Congratulations on the IU - as stated in numerous postings here - ebenefits is notoriously behind on updates and accuracy. 

If you  need a letter for the ID card ( and you MUST take with you....DD214 -  to ID office to get your ID card- make an appointment for a card online. - google local base in your area for ID office. 

I am Retired Navy, still had to take a DD214  ( Stolen Valor I assume... just as a security measure) 

My  Retired ID card, is the same color as the IU 100%  card,    but I have the added benefits for Tricare/ health care eligibility on the back. 

You can have the VA print off a copy of your new letter - at the hospital or outpatient clinics. You can also snail mail it with a call to the RO. 

It still..... states your "Rated" level as 80% , this will always be reflected in the area - as would any increases in the future.....

since the 100% is AWARDED as IU .........and not a combined rating of 100% 

The letter,  says............... PAID  at 100% rate and list the amount.... 

I have not had a problem getting Vehicle registered or using it for my property taxes - I just draw an arrow to paid at 100% rate in case they cannot read. LOL 

I just got a fishing hunting licenses with this and entrance to state parks .

Edited by L
added @ sign to name

On 7/2/2018 at 9:37 AM, L said:

@soriol36

I am Retired Navy, still had to take a DD214  ( Stolen Valor I assume... just as a security measure) 

My  Retired ID card, is the same color as the IU 100%  card,    but I have the added benefits for Tricare/ health care eligibility on the back. 

when did they change the color of an id card for a veteran that is 100% - Last I checked they are tan like a dependents ID Card DD Form 1173

whereas a retirement ID card is DD Form 2 (blueish green) 

I think you many be mistaken about the color of the ID for a 100% disabled veteran

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
33 minutes ago, Richard1954 said:

when did they change the color of an id card for a veteran that is 100% - Last I checked they are tan like a dependents ID Card DD Form 1173

whereas a retirement ID card is DD Form 2 (blueish green) 

I think you many be mistaken about the color of the ID for a 100% disabled veteran

My ID is tan also, but because I'm 100% P&T the expiration date is "INDEF". My wife's card looks the same, but expires every 5 years.

I believe the difference is whether you are retired by the military or the VA.  Mine is blueish green but I received mine when the Marines declared me disabled.

• HadIt.com Elder

if your rated for IU with P&T And you were 80% S.C. At the time you was awarded IU because you could not work due to your 80% rating,  then you got the CFR 4.16 Boost to the 100%rate  which is TDIU W/P&T it has all the benny's as a 100% Veteran.

So your actual rating is not 100% its 80% but getting paid at the 100%rate due to your 80% S.C. Disability.

You need to try to get the 80% increase to the 100%  then any other conditions that may arouse later on if you get a 60% rating for it  or a combined rating to the 60% you will meet the SMC Criteria Rating, this also helps in reduction of benefit's.

Color of the DOD I.D. Card for  commissary privileges is Tan It's been that color for the last 75 years or so or since War War II...The A.D. Personal and retired military do have the blueish/ greenish color ID Cards or Recent ETS Military such as Vetquest

My Retired Navy ID is Blue...greenish... too

The info I posted was relayed to me, when updated my card this year at the ID office.... 

Edited by L