VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

IU for PTSD/MST

Rate this question

chrisp4995

Question

Hello All,

I have a question that i have asked several times and never really get a straight answer... (maybe there isn't one) I was rated 80% disabled and 70% of that is for PTSD/MST w/ MDD, Anxiety, Opioid use disorder, Alcohol use disorder and Stimulant use disorder, 30% right ankle and 10% Tinnitus and was later granted Individual Unemployability by the VA. I must give credit where credit is due and say that VA was very good with my claims and I am grateful that I was fortunate enough to get a rater that gave a crap about disabled veterans.

I am now curious if anyone has any knowledge concerning if or when my IU could possibly become Total and Permanent. I'm sure its different for many people but i have been told some strange things concerning this. I did hear some valid statements like because i am 43 y/o they won't even consider making it permanent until i'm 55. I hear that PTSD for mental disorders will never become permanent because you may someday be cured... I could go on and on of things i have come across but i'm sure there is someone looking at these forums that will possibly have some first hand knowledge. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Respectfully,

Chris P 

No idea where you heard all those weird statements. Im 35 years old, T&P, IU, Mental Health, and on SSDI, so yeah thats a weird set of statements mate.

I am 90% overall rated with 70% PTSD/MST but work.  IU is tough enough to get so congrats first off on getting it.  Secondly, there is NO magic time frame as to when you could be P&T.  Yes, MH ratings do have reviews because it is possible for someone to get better but not cured.  There are some that will never get better.  I was originally rated 30% then 50% and now 70% so it is obvious to both myself and the VA I am getting worse but I try to continue living my life and working but I may be in that boat down the road too.

If you think your symptoms warrant you P&T, then file for it.  Do you talk to a therapist regularly?  If so, discuss with them.  My doctor indicated I was getting worse and noted it in my files, which is why I went from 50% to 70%, along with the C&P examiner agreeing.

All you can do, is do for you!  Good luck

@chrisp4995    I received IU- P & T all in one award.

As stated above each MST trauma is different one no worse than the other- in any way shape or form, sorry about the circumstances of your claim. 

My MST situation plague my life daily,  since the "Sailor" was court martialed then  .....murdered his next victim- stabbing her 90 times, he is up for parole - again! in CA-  sched to attend... May 2019 .

I believe, after talking to the DRO reviewer numerous times, she stated they had never in 10 years seen a "claim" as traumatic as mine.  NIS / Sheriff reports, crimes scene photos and both trials - court martial and his Murder transcripts.... the heinousness of my trauma is why I was awarded the P & T ... 

It does not take all this to be P & T... as stated above my Shipmate @Navy4life

Recently featured on a Podcast by Retired Navy Seal Don Shipley's - subscriber channel.

He allowed me to post for creative solutions to block my assailants parole, also to be and advocate to stop MST - Raise awareness of how widespread the problem there still is for females & males.

https://videos.extremesealexperience.com/movie_Lori-Story-Fake-Navy-Seal-Serial-Killer

I am PTSD/MST  70% only /IU.

Retired  Navy, so I did not pursue any other claims... Living my life!! - one Parole hearing at a time, until he dies....

Edited by L
grammar

• HadIt.com Elder

@L

l am so sorry to hear all this has happen to you, and I hope you find the solitude you need to make life better for you.

I find in my life endeavors its always best to have forgiveness in your heart and not hatred no matter what someone does to me, if you live through it its better to find a forgiveness for that person and not wish death upon them, because death is something all of us will go through someday, so its better to wish a bad person to get better and change their way of life for the better than to wait until someone dies to have closure.

I promise you if you can have it in your heart to do that  it will release a lot of bad feeling of hatred in your heart and when that happens you will start to feel sooooo much better.

Edited by Buck52

1 minute ago, Buck52 said:

l am so sorry to hear all this has happen to you, and I hope you find the solitude you need to make life better for you.

I find in my life endeavors its always best to have forgiveness in your heart and not hatred no matter what someone does to me, if you live through it its better to find a forgiveness for that person and not wish death upon them, because death is something all of us will go through someday, so its better to wish a bad person to get better and change their way of life for the better than to wait until someone dies to have closure.

I promise you if you can have it in your heart to do that  it will release a lot of bad feeling of hatred in your heart and when that happens you will start to feel sooooo much better.

As a victim of personal assault and resulting a pregnancy from that assault and losing the child, I can tell you that it is a scar that remains with you for all your life.  I have been trying to "deal" with the forgiveness of my perpetrator but it isn't easy.  While you can forgive, you can never forget.  Having hatred in my heart for him only gives him more power.  It is a very tough situation to get through and I can imagine what someone like me has gone through.  Every day I try to move forward and even after several decades it doesn't get easier.  

@Navy4life @Buck52 Sound advice and most appreciated! - @ Navy4life I did recall your situation - prayers and hugs. 

I am in a Chaplains group at the VA and he emphasises forgiveness that you can have justice and forgiveness at the same time.  I still feel like the forgiveness is abstract ... I feel like I want to forgive but I qualify it... so I understand what you are saying. He has attempted to call me from prison 3 times since my Victim Impact Statement was not redacted.... I may be caught up in fear and anger so yes, I am working on this daily.

https://www.protectourdefenders.com/survivor-story/loris-story/

Hijacked @chrisp4995 post sorry  - I believe that there may be a therapeutic answer for you in all this too, along with your original answer to the post