VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

2nd Total Knee Replacement same knee (TKR Revision)

Rate this question

Rhodesia

Question

I have a question I just had another Total Knee Replacement (Revision) service connected on my left knee this June 4th 2018 I applied for a 1 year temporary 100% disability one month prior to the surgery  with all the paperwork including from the VA approving another knee replacement and Tri West under the VA paid 100% of the claim on the same knee. My first knee replacement was back in Nov of 2016 I received the Temp 100% for the 1 year instead of getting an increase the VA took 20% away from my knee and gave me 30% so I still ended up with 40% I should of been awarded 60% so now I'm still at 40%. My question is am I entitled to another 100% Temp for 1 year with my second knee replacement? for some reason my claim says it was pushed back until 1/19/2019 and it has been under review since then with no change. The VA has been sent all required documents x-rays, photo's of the surgery just about everything you can think of I sent in to boost my claim as required.  My last knee replacement it took the VA 3 months in order for me to receive my 100% temp for 1 year, now I have a feeling this second replacement is going no where. But I did receive a retroactive back pay for the first claim 3 months later that is. I did spoke with someone from the VA and I was informed you only get 1 100% Temp for a service connected injury no matter how many times you go in to have surgery on the same injury, she more or less said I'm lucky that the VA is paying for this. She said the VA sent me a letter explaining why I won't get a second 100% Temp award for the second Total Knee Replacement and why they took 20% away from me when it was awarded in 2010 had something to do with the knee before I had the Total knee replacement. so in asking this question am I or am I not entitle to another 100% Temp for the one year because they did another Total knee replacement on the same knee? thank you

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

If the knee is SC, I believe you should get the temp 100%, but I'm no expert in temp 100%.

The text from the temp 100% denial letter would be helpful. Need to know specifically why they would deny it. Just omit or redact your personal information.

Keep in mind that after the knee heals from surgery, the VA tends to do a re-eval C&P exam to determine the level of disability (percentage). Sometimes a rating may be reduced, but they are supposed to explain why they are proposing a reduction and offer you the opportunity to contest it.

One of the things often overlooked is the potential for secondary SC. The VA is 'supposed' to consider these, but they often don't. For example, the meds they give you to treat your SC knee may have side effects like esophageal reflux or constipation. For some people, depression or anxiety can develop depending on their circumstances. It may be possible to file a secondary SC claim for them.

How did your knee replacement come out?  Was it done at the VA?  I was scheduled for a TKR and delayed it a few months, but Im gonna go through with it this fall, probably.  

11 hours ago, broncovet said:

How did your knee replacement come out?  Was it done at the VA?  I was scheduled for a TKR and delayed it a few months, but Im gonna go through with it this fall, probably.  

The first knee replacement went ok, the worst part is after the pain pump is empty that's when you really feel the pain, I was on Morphine for the pain, and after one year I fell and damaged the knee replacement and had to go through another total knee replacement this is called a (TKR Revision) which means they are replacing everything that was installed again so I'm on morphine again. the second time I ended up with 60 staples this is due because they are opening an old scar tissue up best way for it to heal is with staples so I look like Dr. Frankenstein worked on me. The VA rep said I should put in for a secondary for the right leg since I have been using that leg more of support so I have wear and tear on that knee, but I don't know because the VA turned me down for having Malaria imagine that. if you have the knee replacement look on you tube they have allot of videos of the operations that will show you what you can expect. As for my condition now with my knee replacement I have lost about 30% of mobility this is due to the second replacement. I put in for an increase because the VA gave me 30% but the max for an increase is 60% for any knee replacement. Good luck

Edited by Rhodesia

Thank you.   Even tho I had a fracture in service, the VA has denied my claim.  It did not matter that much, because Im 100 percent, but now I am wondering if it would help with SMC

49 minutes ago, broncovet said:

Thank you.   Even tho I had a fracture in service, the VA has denied my claim.  It did not matter that much, because Im 100 percent, but now I am wondering if it would help with SMC

Well don't fell to bad I was surprised I was turned down for Malaria by the VA because I contracted it on active duty so noted in my military health records but did not get sick until I went back into reserve status, thought I had the flu at first but the Balboa Naval Hospital in San Diego kept me for two weeks and treated me as as an out patient because I was not on active duty, and as always nothing was entered in my service record. So the VA informed me by letter that I have to be on active duty and show that I was sick and being treated on active duty so in another words they were telling me I could have caught Malaria in Mexico for all they care as the old saying goes in the VA if it was not documented it never happened. having Malaria is like having the Flu 10 times fold that's the only way I can tell people.

well what ever you do think about it before you have the knee replace because it's all about the quality of life.

Edited by Rhodesia

Funny eBenefits now says my old claim from 7/2016 says "Pending Decision Approval" and they estimated close of claim on 01/2019 only took them 2 years this claim has nothing to do with my issues with my 2nd total knee replacement service connected and trying to get the 100% temp for the 13 months. So I have never seen a Pending Decision Approval statement so I take it that this will tell me if I was award serviced connected or denied right?