VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Had to sign a PTSD Contract today at my VA Therapist LCSW S-4 Anyone familiar with it?

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I have had Chronic Combat PTSD for years, Just won my claim for it about 3 1/2 years ago.I been going to my VA Therapist ever since twice a week for a year and now its bi weekly the last 2 years. and staying at the bi-weekly  beings I live about 62 miles from the VAMC.

Went to my regular sessions today.

Ok today  my VA Therapist she ask me about the CPT (Cognitive Processing Therapy) And she ask me if I wanted to do this therapy? I ask what is it? & I said yes if  it will help me with the Anxiety/Depression  and Cope Skills and help me feel better for me and not put my family through a lot of un- necessary crap from me.

she said she could not promise me that it would but statistic shows it will help  it just depends how I react to this type therapy 

She ask me to sign a ''Contract''

Anyway I don't understand why I had to sign a'' CONTRACT''

Perhaps a commitment to come to the sessions?

I went ahead and signed it  to see how this will work out? 

she says I can opt out of it any time or if I feel its not helping me I can opt out of it and we would do a different type therapy 

she gave me some hand outs to read over  about PTSD Symptoms and stuck points.

Recovery or  Nonrecovery  from PTSD Symptoms Fowling   Traumatic Events

In Normal recovery Intrusions and emotions decrease over time and no longer trigger each other

Anyone ever heard the word (Autobiographical)

The CPT is a cognitive processing  therapy is a cognitive -behavioral  treatment for PTSD And Related Problems

Anyway I'm going to try it for 14 weeks and longer if it helps  she said If I don't feel its helping me  we can change to another form of PTSD Therapy at any time.

Anyone else trying this and did you sign a Contract?

Now my ''HomeWork'' is to write out a one page statment on why you think your most distressing traumatic event occurred, you are not being ask to write out specific details about the cause of this event......I thought Huh??

Also consider the effects this traumatic  event has had on your beliefs  about yourself, others,and the world in the following areas: safety,trust,power/control esteem, and Intimacy..

Bring this statment with you to the next session. Also please read over the two handouts I have given you on PTSD Symptoms and Stuck Points  (HANDOUTS 5.1and 5.2 so that you understand the Ideas we are talking about.

Anyone doing this type therapy?

Edited by Buck52

I did the 12 week version of it and it does help develop ways to cope. This therapy gets pretty deep so stay strong and make sure you have a good support system at home.

I do remember signing something but can’t recall exactly what it was. It could have been a contract but not sure at this time.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Did this a while back, but no contract.  The LCSW was surprised I knew what it was. I let her know it was part of a college psychology class I took a while back.

CPT can be beneficial by reducing the impact of prior trauma. They will probably give you a bunch of forms to log your experiences. It can really be helpful. Don't just settle with the handouts and homework they provide. There is a wealth of resources online worth exploring. The interesting part is if you save your work and go back and re-read it a few months later.

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes I am hoping this works out better for me  so for after 3 years of therapy sessions & nothing seems to be better for me  if not worse.

the only part I kinda disagree with is doing the homework...it just seems to make matters worse for me when I just think about some of the things...its hard not to feel or go into deep details about being traumatized....>Because to me it seems its impacted in my brain.or mind?

doing Homework seems to get my anxiety back up and that's what I am trying so hard not to let it do.

After the 4th the following Friday my son was going to take me and my spouse to California to see my very sick sister,  once I got on the airplane and had to see all those people and sit in the rear of the plane  I got high anxiety very bad  almost passed out and had to be taken off the plane,  once I got off the plane went to the restroom washed my face with cold water  my anxiety level went back down and I was ok but shaking  we went back home. I went to my bedroom...so I chose to flight and not fight (fight or flight)

SO I AM HOPING THIS NEW CPT WILL HELP ,SHE SAID IF I DON'T FEEL ITS FOR ME I CAN OPT OUT AND START ANOTHER TYPE THERAPY PROGRAM.

But as mention if there's Home work...I am not so sure about this?

Any other Veterans doing this CPT? Please give me some more insight on this.

Thank You  Vync & R3dneck for your reply.

I appreciate it.

Edited by Buck52

@Buck52 -I did this and still have all of my paperwork - I am glad I kept it - I looked at it one year post and was amazed at how far my thought process had come..... it was a tremendous help to slow down  the rambling in my head! The paperwork is simple - The insight I got from reflecting while not in the clinical setting translated to  - creating my own coping skills ( muscles - mental muscles in a sense) the next time that particular thought came up - I immediately utilize the techniques. My panic attacks are still weekly - but my thought process is different.

ONCE I wrote down  the traumatic event - it had less power - that is how I ended up with my Victim Impact Statement writing it for the CPT program - it took 8 hrs : As I shared this with you before.......

( the site redacted it as description was too violent- I live through it.... smh  ) https://www.protectourdefenders.com/survivor-story/loris-story/

YOUR story is Sacred - and Healing is a a part of the story - Jump in with both feet ARMY!

Prayers daily for your healing..... I did emotionally feel a little worse - going through  meaning unbalance but gut it out the 14 weeks...... you will be amazed. After each session I went out and did something fun- immediately after..... fyi

I am grateful for the guidance - I did this through a Credentialed Psychologist. I would ask for a Psychologist vs a Social Worker, no disrespect but -  match the credentials and schooling is not the same. 

The contract thing sounds like something to assure you show up- Outpatient clinics in the civilian world do something similar. It is a way to discharge you if you don't show up consistently.... like a CYA - this Social Worker may be a contract employee and will not get paid if you do not show up.... just speculating. 

I hope you do this, buddy check.... on you it is an emotional process. But CATHARTIC! in a good way. 

ASK about Telehealth - Video chat so you don't have to drive.

https://www.telehealth.va.gov/

Edited by L
clarity

• Founder

@Buck52 the homework does suck, but frankly I would have swung a dead chicken around my head naked howling at the moon if they told me it had a chance of helping, so with that in mind homework didn't sound to bad LOL

The only way to the other side is through the muck. But you will have a guide and can take a break when you need it, it is safe, You will have obstacles but you will have tools to overcome them and facing those obstacles and overcoming them will empower new and old parts of you. And of course we will be here for you.

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks L

I am going to try it, the only thing I don't understand is

she gave me this sheet of paper with instructions here is some of it I don't understand.

''Please write at least one page on why you think the traumatic event occurred.''

(why I think the trauma event occurred?)     ( at the time I witness the trauma I never realize then it was a trauma event and what effect it would have on me later.)

You are not being asked to write specifics about the traumatic event. write about what you have been thinking about the cause of the event.''   (what does this mean exactly?)

Also, consider the effects this traumatic event has had on your beliefs about yourself, others, and the the world in the following areas: safety, trust, power/control, esteem, and intimacy.

This L.C.S.W  S-W4 She has a Master Degree from the University of Kentucky  Lexington in clinical behavior, she chooses to work as a therapist as her chosen  field , she has the credentials as for as education.

I just don't know if I am a good fit with her way of therapy? although she has the qualifications and 25 years of experience working for the VA.

I will try it and hope for the best.

Edited by Buck52