VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Had to sign a PTSD Contract today at my VA Therapist LCSW S-4 Anyone familiar with it?

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I have had Chronic Combat PTSD for years, Just won my claim for it about 3 1/2 years ago.I been going to my VA Therapist ever since twice a week for a year and now its bi weekly the last 2 years. and staying at the bi-weekly  beings I live about 62 miles from the VAMC.

Went to my regular sessions today.

Ok today  my VA Therapist she ask me about the CPT (Cognitive Processing Therapy) And she ask me if I wanted to do this therapy? I ask what is it? & I said yes if  it will help me with the Anxiety/Depression  and Cope Skills and help me feel better for me and not put my family through a lot of un- necessary crap from me.

she said she could not promise me that it would but statistic shows it will help  it just depends how I react to this type therapy 

She ask me to sign a ''Contract''

Anyway I don't understand why I had to sign a'' CONTRACT''

Perhaps a commitment to come to the sessions?

I went ahead and signed it  to see how this will work out? 

she says I can opt out of it any time or if I feel its not helping me I can opt out of it and we would do a different type therapy 

she gave me some hand outs to read over  about PTSD Symptoms and stuck points.

Recovery or  Nonrecovery  from PTSD Symptoms Fowling   Traumatic Events

In Normal recovery Intrusions and emotions decrease over time and no longer trigger each other

Anyone ever heard the word (Autobiographical)

The CPT is a cognitive processing  therapy is a cognitive -behavioral  treatment for PTSD And Related Problems

Anyway I'm going to try it for 14 weeks and longer if it helps  she said If I don't feel its helping me  we can change to another form of PTSD Therapy at any time.

Anyone else trying this and did you sign a Contract?

Now my ''HomeWork'' is to write out a one page statment on why you think your most distressing traumatic event occurred, you are not being ask to write out specific details about the cause of this event......I thought Huh??

Also consider the effects this traumatic  event has had on your beliefs  about yourself, others,and the world in the following areas: safety,trust,power/control esteem, and Intimacy..

Bring this statment with you to the next session. Also please read over the two handouts I have given you on PTSD Symptoms and Stuck Points  (HANDOUTS 5.1and 5.2 so that you understand the Ideas we are talking about.

Anyone doing this type therapy?

Edited by Buck52

Hey there ...well my daughter bounced right back, but I have been in Physycsk therapy for almost 6 mo now after accident.  My neck was pretty screwed up from whiplash and the concussion has caused complications and worsening of existing balance , tinnitus, memory and mood issues.  Dark days to the point of just not wanting to go on, but once again God and God alone pulled me out of it at least to not wanting to end it and I’m back fighting everyday trying to deal with multiple physical and emotional issues.  I’m trying my best to keep looking forward and not backward.  

How are things in your neck of the woods? Sounds like a bunch of h/a you have to face now with the rating.

@Buck52 - you know I live within driving distance of you - LOL - don't make me come up there.... Army -

stay on track and buddy check. 🙂  Keep us posted . 

• HadIt.com Elder

Michigander

sorry you been have problems,  life is not fair, it sure seems that way sometimes but some how we all usually bounce back to face another day most of us anyway.

You maybe should request another type therapy  let them know this  CPT therapy is not helping you and you gave it 6 weeks ....see what they say?

You do need to stay in treatments, and some times  it helps going  to the therapist and just talk about current events or whats on sale at Ross or even our crazy president  (LOL)

..I know when I focus on other things and not my PTSD/Anxiety  I seem to do better and move forward.  Until I see or smell something that brings back the reminders or triggers something inside me.

As for as the Therapy I think they need to find a way to adjust the therapy to the needs of the patient,  there are different types of therapy and different types of a traumatized experienced, for me it was combat/For you MST, but at the time I never knew what I witness in Vietnam would make me crazy/jittery or just flat paranoid  today or have PTSD and it would go on and change my behavior forever, But then again trauma is trauma maybe it don't matter how we get it ..> we get it.

I just have a problem explaining how  or why I feel the way I do?

Michigander Hang in there , you do what is best for you and your daughter , and live out your life the way you want to live it...we can't live our life for others or do what others do...I would think the focus here is on what we want not what others want.....your going to be fine....have fun and enjoy life.

I like to laugh a lot and listen to funny & honest comedians  & ...Read a Lot.

..I will try this CPT and see if it helps with the Anxiety  if not I will opt out of it and ask for a different type therapy , but I think VA is changing to this  CPT for some reason? so I'll see I guess how it works out.

L , You live in Texas too? welcome neighbor :) maybe we can meet some times I use the Dallas VA

I think I know what my therapist wants in that statment   I need to let her know what triggers my Anxiety..my beliefs of what the cause is? and my thoughts?feelings of reality? As to my thinking are all debatable&if I knew all that  I probably would not need to be in treatment sessions..  but then again this is why they all (therapist)went to school to learn about the Human Mind 

As Sigmund Fraud studied the human conscious mind as well as the unconscious mind  or was it the brain  Eh! 

okay either way  this is what

Started all this B.S. 

• HadIt.com Elder

I got my home work all written out to turn in on my next session &The darn therapist cancel our session  said she will reschedule   eh!  rats

Next session is scheduled for Aug 9th...if its not cancelled ??

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Buck, hang in there.  I called my therapist today because I am suffering from chest pains.  No, it is the PTSD causing real pain, what a bummer.  What to do when you are climbing the walls?

Good Luck

vetquest 

• HadIt.com Elder

About all they mention to me is Breath in and out take deep breath hold it count to 4  then let it out slowly  do this 3 times and see if the pain lessens ..Anxiety is what causes the heart to speed up  I know how that feels...probably the breathing treatments is best

I had high anxiety on a American Alirlines 737 Going to California to visit my sick sister for heart by pass surgery & I was in the very rear of the plane last seat..it was hot  it was like 105 %out side  they had the mist going above the seats but that never helped me..flight attendant gave me a sack to breath into  my son was there fanning me..I ended up having to deplane and go to an A/C restaurant to cool off after going to  the restroom to wash with cold water....Went back home after that.

Try doing the Breathing treatments and retreat to your Bedroom or man cave..listen to some music you like.  if it don't ease up after a bit  you may want to go to your VAMC get checked out?