VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Had to sign a PTSD Contract today at my VA Therapist LCSW S-4 Anyone familiar with it?

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I have had Chronic Combat PTSD for years, Just won my claim for it about 3 1/2 years ago.I been going to my VA Therapist ever since twice a week for a year and now its bi weekly the last 2 years. and staying at the bi-weekly  beings I live about 62 miles from the VAMC.

Went to my regular sessions today.

Ok today  my VA Therapist she ask me about the CPT (Cognitive Processing Therapy) And she ask me if I wanted to do this therapy? I ask what is it? & I said yes if  it will help me with the Anxiety/Depression  and Cope Skills and help me feel better for me and not put my family through a lot of un- necessary crap from me.

she said she could not promise me that it would but statistic shows it will help  it just depends how I react to this type therapy 

She ask me to sign a ''Contract''

Anyway I don't understand why I had to sign a'' CONTRACT''

Perhaps a commitment to come to the sessions?

I went ahead and signed it  to see how this will work out? 

she says I can opt out of it any time or if I feel its not helping me I can opt out of it and we would do a different type therapy 

she gave me some hand outs to read over  about PTSD Symptoms and stuck points.

Recovery or  Nonrecovery  from PTSD Symptoms Fowling   Traumatic Events

In Normal recovery Intrusions and emotions decrease over time and no longer trigger each other

Anyone ever heard the word (Autobiographical)

The CPT is a cognitive processing  therapy is a cognitive -behavioral  treatment for PTSD And Related Problems

Anyway I'm going to try it for 14 weeks and longer if it helps  she said If I don't feel its helping me  we can change to another form of PTSD Therapy at any time.

Anyone else trying this and did you sign a Contract?

Now my ''HomeWork'' is to write out a one page statment on why you think your most distressing traumatic event occurred, you are not being ask to write out specific details about the cause of this event......I thought Huh??

Also consider the effects this traumatic  event has had on your beliefs  about yourself, others,and the world in the following areas: safety,trust,power/control esteem, and Intimacy..

Bring this statment with you to the next session. Also please read over the two handouts I have given you on PTSD Symptoms and Stuck Points  (HANDOUTS 5.1and 5.2 so that you understand the Ideas we are talking about.

Anyone doing this type therapy?

Edited by Buck52

3 hours ago, Buck52 said:

About all they mention to me is Breath in and out take deep breath hold it count to 4  then let it out slowly  do this 3 times and see if the pain lessens ..Anxiety is what causes the heart to speed up  I know how that feels...probably the breathing treatments is best

I had high anxiety on a American Alirlines 737 Going to California to visit my sick sister for heart by pass surgery & I was in the very rear of the plane last seat..it was hot  it was like 105 %out side  they had the mist going above the seats but that never helped me..flight attendant gave me a sack to breath into  my son was there fanning me..I ended up having to deplane and go to an A/C restaurant to cool off after going to  the restroom to wash with cold water....Went back home after that.

Try doing the Breathing treatments and retreat to your Bedroom or man cave..listen to some music you like.  if it don't ease up after a bit  you may want to go to your VAMC get checked out?

Thanks Buck, I do not really want to go to the VAMC, they may try to put me on the flightdeck.

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks L 

I Checked these links out  some are helpful..I just have to see if this CPT is for me or helps me....we'll see?

I'm not sure I want group therapy just yet..still some what gun shy i guess..I Know other Veterans mean well, I'm just not ready or very sociable at this point. or feel sociable.

my therapist has this group therapy at 10:00am  she has a Master degree so I suppose she is qualified...I just don't know if I'd like it or clam up? 

@Buck52  I have benefited immensely from the peer groups in my area. You are not required to talk at all - just sit & be - I think you will learn a lot.  Gaining insight and that you are not alone in the plight.... Hugs- you got this buddy. 

Edited by L

@vetquest I don’t do well at all with with leaving my home or changing my surroundings and this weekend I tried to stay overnight in a new  place ...dummy me!  I had an anxiety episode so bad I though I could do it but I thought I was going to die.. it was like a panic attack that lasted For hours !! I think they say panic Attacks last for minutes or several minutes but I  swear it was so intense the anxiety I thought I was having a heart attack there was so much pressure in my chest and  I couldn’t even think straight..almost in a state of confusion pacing around in circles  ... my blood pressure skyrocketed and my heart rate...it was only until my Xanax really kicked in that I started to calm down.   I tried to do deep breathing I try to visualize myself in a happy place I tried to distract myself ...my daughter tried to talk me down and distract me and I thought I was going to end up in the hospital.  It’s was so discouraging!!! Nobody can understand how helpless you feel or how real and bad it is unless you have gone through it or deal with it...it’s so debilitating.  You are not alone Vetquest  ...prayers going out to you my friend.

• HadIt.com Elder

Don't feel alone Michigander

I am the same way...my bed is my safe heaven ..and my therapist said that was my escape goat  or Avoid-ness, I said well it makes me feel better and calm and if that's what it takes to get my anxiety back down I am doing it.

I agree I don't see how therapy has helped me at all  other than the breathing  but at times that don't help either..so we tend to do what we know works...I don't see anything wrong with that.

• HadIt.com Elder

Vetquest

Just never say your going to harm your self or others , that's when they will take action and lock you up.

some times just talking to someone that understands this crap will help , I had a good  male therapist  a veteran himself  although he was an officer in the Air Force he did explain things in more detail in a way I could understand certain things , but he had Back Surgery and VA mess him up bad and cut a certain part of his spine  he can't walk now..and had to stop working..not sure he will ever come back to do therapist work?

it was a bad loss for me when this happen and now I have a female therapist that is hard to understand.