VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Had to sign a PTSD Contract today at my VA Therapist LCSW S-4 Anyone familiar with it?

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I have had Chronic Combat PTSD for years, Just won my claim for it about 3 1/2 years ago.I been going to my VA Therapist ever since twice a week for a year and now its bi weekly the last 2 years. and staying at the bi-weekly  beings I live about 62 miles from the VAMC.

Went to my regular sessions today.

Ok today  my VA Therapist she ask me about the CPT (Cognitive Processing Therapy) And she ask me if I wanted to do this therapy? I ask what is it? & I said yes if  it will help me with the Anxiety/Depression  and Cope Skills and help me feel better for me and not put my family through a lot of un- necessary crap from me.

she said she could not promise me that it would but statistic shows it will help  it just depends how I react to this type therapy 

She ask me to sign a ''Contract''

Anyway I don't understand why I had to sign a'' CONTRACT''

Perhaps a commitment to come to the sessions?

I went ahead and signed it  to see how this will work out? 

she says I can opt out of it any time or if I feel its not helping me I can opt out of it and we would do a different type therapy 

she gave me some hand outs to read over  about PTSD Symptoms and stuck points.

Recovery or  Nonrecovery  from PTSD Symptoms Fowling   Traumatic Events

In Normal recovery Intrusions and emotions decrease over time and no longer trigger each other

Anyone ever heard the word (Autobiographical)

The CPT is a cognitive processing  therapy is a cognitive -behavioral  treatment for PTSD And Related Problems

Anyway I'm going to try it for 14 weeks and longer if it helps  she said If I don't feel its helping me  we can change to another form of PTSD Therapy at any time.

Anyone else trying this and did you sign a Contract?

Now my ''HomeWork'' is to write out a one page statment on why you think your most distressing traumatic event occurred, you are not being ask to write out specific details about the cause of this event......I thought Huh??

Also consider the effects this traumatic  event has had on your beliefs  about yourself, others,and the world in the following areas: safety,trust,power/control esteem, and Intimacy..

Bring this statment with you to the next session. Also please read over the two handouts I have given you on PTSD Symptoms and Stuck Points  (HANDOUTS 5.1and 5.2 so that you understand the Ideas we are talking about.

Anyone doing this type therapy?

Edited by Buck52

Buck and Michigander,

Thanks for the words of encouragement.  I get to see my therapist tonight.

A sad note, might be funny, is that once I had a jerk doctor telling me to describe my pain in words he could understand.  I tried several times and he kept telling me I was not describing pain correctly.  I suggested I could show him my pain.  He walked out of the room and a nurse came in and told me it was time to go.  They decided that I was much calmer and had better manners with a woman around so they made a female psychiatrist be in the room any time I had an appointment for about a year.  Yes, I was flagged.

Good luck guys.

I'm sure the rate of attrition for Vets agreeing to attend PTSD Group therapy for treatment is probably the same today as it was back in 2010. PTSD Vets often have a real problem with the "Home work" that's required. As I recall, at least 4 of the original 16 failed to continue with the Group therapy. The rest of us ended up doing about 21/2 years of Group before the VA Cut us loose.

Monthly appointments with MH Psychiatrists continued for those that required Rxs, some continued treatment sessions with other MH Clinicians and about 9 of us continued unofficial Group meeting twice a month to date.

As to the Signed Contract, whatever it takes to get treatment compliance if it works all the better.

What are the Penalties, if any, for non-attendance? Missing meetings on a regular basis would be very problematic. There is a continuity of education and Therapy that necessary with Group Sessions.

• HadIt.com Elder

Gastone

This Decision to do CPT Therapy is Voluntary

There are no penalties, just an optimistically commitment to the goals & to attend the sessions .

Veterans can opt out if he so chooses at any time, they will ask the veteran to come in and talk it over with the therapist one final time and if he/she still wants to opt out They ask of the Veteran discuss the concerns with the therapist before terminating the agreement.

And just do the regular therapy session.

I am not secure enough to do the group sessions (My old Therapist was Against it according to my session with him) but he did say that was my option and he could request the group for me if I so choose..  ...although I might try it..beings we don't have to talk or say anything in the group until we feel were ready.

I have yet to go to this CPT Therapy...I wanted to face it head on and see how I do

On my first appointment with this New Therapist  they called and said she can't come in and the appointment was cancelled  and she would reschedule ...this was for the 7/26.18  at 11:00 am...this is the 3rd Appointment she has cancelled on me and other veterans since Jan of this year.

My next Appointment with this Therapist is Aug 9th 11:00am

My old therapist is on medical leave and not sure he will return. eh!

• HadIt.com Elder

Gastone

did you mean Veteran have homework in the group sessions too?

I know there's Homework with the CPT

As for as my medications  for Monthly appointments with MH Psychiatrists continued, I see my MH Psychiatrist ever 3 months for Meds and see how the theraphy is going  if I need anything or how I am coping  with anxiety and what tools I have been taught to use  ect,,ect,,,

I got a pretty good VA MH Psychiatrist...I like her Okay.

I been in therapy for the last 4 years..most with my old therapist,  this new therapist took his place on Aug 2017 While my old Therapist is out on Medical leave and not so sure he will return? if he Returns? He has been out almost a Year now.

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

Gastone what did you mean by

As I recall, at least 4 of the original 16 failed to continue with the Group therapy. The rest of us ended up doing about 21/2 years of Group before the VA Cut us loose.

VA CUT US LOOSE?

does this mean your not attending any therapy sessions? & not taking meds?