VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

DIC

jfrei

Question

Not really sure how this DIC benefit works? I was denied life insurance due to my excessive medical records and want to see what the criteria is for my family I was made P and T Nov. 11,2016 and was 90% backdated to July of 2010. I currently have an appeal in works so that may grant an EOD of July 11,2010 for my 100% but with anything back pay related over 25k its a fight to the end. But its in my favor as soon as the BVA looks at it again after my remanded issues were denied due to not reviewing all the evidence and see that yes I had several DVTs in both my legs in connections with my TBI/Coma in 2006 in service. I don't understand the delays of the RO I thought the AMC would see it, but denied it without citing the evidence in the diagnosis in service, but rather a current MRI that was taken to see why if at all I experience pain my legs currently in 2017.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Jfrie-I think you mean maybe a private Life Insurer denied you?

I think you might be eligible for SC GLI but others  know3 hwo thisw works better then I do :

https://www.benefits.va.gov/insurance/s-dvi.asp

What is S-DVI?

The Service-Disabled Veterans Insurance (S-DVI) program was established in 1951 to meet the insurance needs of certain veterans with service connected disabilities. S-DVI is available in a variety of permanent plans as well as term insurance. Policies are issued for a maximum face amount of $10,000.

Who Can Apply for S-DVI?

You can apply for S-DVI if you meet the following 4 criteria:

1. You were released from active duty under other than dishonorable conditions on or after April 25, 1951
  2. You were rated for a service-connected disability (even if only 0%)
  3. You are in good health except for any service-connected conditions
  4. You apply within 2 years from the date VA grants your new service-connected disability.

Note: An increase in an existing service-connected disability or the granting of individual unemployability of a previous rated condition does not entitle a veteran to this insurance.

How Can I Apply for S-DVI?

You can apply for basic S-DVI using our S-DVI Online Application.

You can also download VA form 29-4364, Application for Service-Disabled Veterans Life Insurance, from our forms page. Be sure to also download VA Pamphlet 29-9 from this site for premiums rates and a description of the plans available.

Waiver of Premiums for Totally Disabled Veterans

Under certain conditions, the basic S-DVI policy provides for a waiver of premiums in case of total disability. Policyholders who carry the basic S-DVI coverage and who become eligible for a waiver of premiums due to total disability can apply for and be granted additional Supplemental S-DVI of up to $30,000.

I will find the link here to all you need to know about DIC.

Supplemental S-DVI

The Veterans' Benefits Act of 2010, provided for $30,000 of supplemental coverage to S-DVI policyholders. Premiums may not be waived on this supplemental coverage. S-DVI policyholders are eligible for this supplemental coverage if:

• They are eligible for a waiver of premiums.
  • They apply for the coverage within one year from notice of the grant of waiver.
  • are under age 65

How Can I Apply for Supplemental S-DVI?

To apply for Supplemental S-DVI, you must file VA Form 29-0188, Application for Supplemental Service-Disabled Veterans (RH) Life Insurance or send a letter requesting this insurance over your signature. You must apply for the coverage within one year from notice of the grant of  of waiver of premiums."

DIC is explained here by the VA:

https://benefits.va.gov/compensation/types-dependency_and_indemnity.asp

However that is a very brief criteria-

They forgot 1151 DIC ( explained at hadit under a DIC search, and also DIC under Nehemr (AO) is explained here ad finitum---searchable 

Also if the Death certificate lists a NSC disability as cause of death but # 2 on the Death Cert states another disability  ad thus if an SC disability contributed to death AND if that contribution was substantial the VA will award DIC.

However it might cause the widow/widower to have to obtain a strong IMO/IME to support how "substantial "that contribution was.

Many vets here already have put the DIC 21-534 form in their Death Files- which I did many radio shows on-

now is the time for all vets to make sure the spouse understands these benefits if they die- and to make sure they have the veteran's password or tyhey join and get their ow- to come here for solid DIC info.

Also if a veteran has a claim ior appeal i progress whe they die, the spouse must substutute themselves as the claimant ( form available her) and do that within one year after the veteran dies-optherise beyod that year VA will deny any formal claim for accrued benefits.

The only exeption is Nermer claims- also all info available at hadit under a search.

Thanks Berta I was actually approved for the 10k already two months ago and more recently denied from the private insurance company. Thank you for the DIC reading and I just don’t want my wife to struggle with the VA if I go it won’t happen soon just want to have her and my ducks in a row,

Great Jfrie-I will probably croak before you do but all of the DIC info will still be here.

We all however have to stay as healhy as we can, inspite of the many disabilitiies you all can have-

I recently got a great Med check up and I do stay healthy-in part- for spite-

I have another claim issue with my VARO- and they probably hoped I would die long ago.😉

So basically since they made my P and T date Nov 2016 instead of July 2010 when I discharged she’s not eligible unless this appeal goes through and will give me the onset of my P and T at my discharge in 2010..thanks again for the info 

Edited by jfrei