VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

choice program 30 day clock

Rate this question

Doc8482M8404

Question

When does the Choice program 30 day clock start? 

Example; you see VA doc for X and they recommend you for evaluation for X, now department head gets consulte sends it to provider in department does not want to see you, found in consulte notes, then department head says see him and schedules you for appointment. That is within 30 days of department head saying to see you then you tell PCP you don’t want to see that dr. He says you have to because it’s within 30 days.  So you see quack dr 36 days after you seen the first dr. Consult is talked bounced back and forth for 8 days  

So what starts the clock? 

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

It is supposed to start from the time you request or are referred for an appointment. If you do the math and it is over 30 days, request the Choice program. Don't count on them to proactively bring up the Choice program option, however I have had them bring it up a couple of times.

51 minutes ago, Vync said:

It is supposed to start from the time you request or are referred for an appointment. If you do the math and it is over 30 days, request the Choice program. Don't count on them to proactively bring up the Choice program option, however I have had them bring it up a couple of times.

So I seen neurosurgeon on May 29, 18 he referred me for evaluation for epidural injections on that day. Pain management head dr F (5-31-18) ask d if another

dr T Could do injection. Dr T answered on 6-6-18 then on they called me on 6-8-18 and said I had appointment on 7-2-18. I asked PCP on 6-11-18 if I could see someone else. Answer was no because you can see dr T within 30 days! 

So I should have been able to see a Choice doctor?

They've done that to me too. Given the time frames, I believe you would have had to specifically ask for a Choice referral unless they brought it up. You can call the Choice Program directly and they hopefully can tell you what should have happened: 866-606-8198

Here's a link to the Choice program itself: https://www.va.gov/COMMUNITYCARE/programs/veterans/VCP/index.asp

However, there is good news. The Choice program will be changing. As of June 6, 2018, President Trump signed a bill into law which revamps the program. Don't expect the VA to suddenly change their policy. They are known for dragging it out and it might take a while to get implemented. I just checked the Choice program site and it still has the 30 day appt restriction.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2018/06/06/trump-signs-55-billion-bill-replace-va-choice-program.html

The new bill called for $5.2 billion in funding to keep the existing Choice program in operation for a year while the VA worked through reforms to consolidate the seven private-care options into one system while eliminating the 30-day, 40-mile restrictions.

On 7/17/2018 at 1:53 PM, Vync said:

Vync,  do you know the correct process to submit an outside MD recommendation for rebuttal and demand the outside MD treatment plan be done?

thanks

You could use a copy of the Bill that POTUS signed recently here:

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-signs-legislation-allowing-veterans-seek-care-private-doctors-2017-4

But as Vync said, this will take time to be implemented.

It might be worth calling the White House VA hotline https://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressrelease.cfm?id=3980

When I had trouble getting my outside referral last year, I talked to the patient advocate and was told it was out of their hands. I then talked with my Congressman. Then the next day, the patient advocate suddenly took interest and acted as an intermediary to help me get the appointment. I hope you don't have to end up going through all that, but it's another avenue.