VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

DBQ optional or not

Rate this question

63SIERRA

Question

recently my spousie asked her psyc dr at the VAMC  in temple tx,   if she would write a DBQ for her, regarding her long time depression illness,   the Dr informed her that she writes DBQs for nobody.   I would like to  know if it is part of a Doctors job description to write DBQs for the veterans they care for. We have received letters from the VA that seem to indicate that it should be no problem getting a DBQ . Why the Dr doesnt want to write one is interesting, maybe she doesnt want to get involved in the claims process.  The primary care doc that my wife sees wrote a wonderful letter for her, but she is not a psychiatrist and that is mandatory for a mental illness claim. 

• Answers 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

You are barking up the wrong tree.  If your doctor was Veteran friendly, he would have likely already provided medical evidence which would assist your claim.  You can lead a horse to water, but you cant make him drink.  

My suggestion is you find a more "Veteran friendly" doc.  You can switch docs, it does not sound like you have a lot of confidence in this doc at least as far as representing your best interests.  Rather than twist that doctors arm, I would just switch docotrs and find a more Vet friendly one.  

VHA DIRECTIVE 1134  nov 2016
VHA strives to be the provider of choice for all enrolled Veterans and its strategic goal is to deliver personalized, proactive, patient-driven care. Timely completion of forms on behalf of Veterans is an important way for VA health care providers to understand and advocate for Veterans’ concerns. Additionally, completion of medical forms by health care providers based on an examination or knowledge of the Veteran’s conditions, is included under title 38 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) 17.38(a)(1)(xv) as part of the medical benefits package (with the exception of the completion of examination forms if a third party would customarily pay health care practitioners for the examination, but will not pay VA). NOTE: At present, as a matter of policy, there are no known forms that would fall under this exception.
3. DEFINITIONS
a. Assessment of Function (or Functional Assessment). An assessment of function provides data on how an individual relates and adjusts to their environment when performing a specific task. Assessments of function generally will include measures of motion, strength, pain, endurance, flare-ups, safety, and the ability to perform and repeat meaningful tasks (e.g., assessment of daily living, reviews of medical record, etc.). Typically, VA providers can conduct assessments of function within the clinical environment and they can be enhanced by physical therapy, kinesiotherapy, or occupational therapy consultation. NOTE: For example, a form which asks a provider to estimate how long a patient can stand is considered an assessment of function and therefore should be answered to the best of a provider’s ability and clinical expertise based on the evaluation completed, even though the specific activity may not have been directly observed.
b. Disability Benefits Questionnaire. A Disability Benefits Questionnaire (DBQ) is a standardized VA documentation tool used to provide pertinent medical information for Veterans in support of the disability compensation process.
c. Functional Capacity Evaluation. A functional capacity evaluation (FCE) evaluates an individual's capacity to perform work activities related to his or her participation in employment and compares the individual's health status and functional status to the demands of the job and the work environment. Typically, a FCE is
November 28, 2016 VHA DIRECTIVE 1134
conducted for the purposes of determining feasibility for employment in a specific job. A well-designed FCE may take hours to perform and consists of a battery of standardized assessments requiring direct observation that offers results in performance-based measures. FCEs should only be performed by qualified rehabilitation professionals that have appropriate training and specialized equipment to include validity and effort measures in the evaluation. Due to the lack of specialized equipment available at most VA medical facilities required to perform FCEs, these evaluations are not routinely conducted by VA providers. NOTE: A FCE is not a type of evaluation that is done for the purposes of VA disability benefits or compensation claims.
d. Medical Opinion. A medical opinion is a provider’s statement of findings and views, which may be based on review of the Veteran’s medical records or personal examination of the Veteran, or both. Medical opinions are often concerned with establishing causality between a Veteran’s claimed condition and events in military service or to a previously determined service-connected disability.
e. Personal Representative. A personal representative is a person who, under applicable law, has authority to act on behalf of the individual. This may include power of attorney, legal guardianship of an individual, the executor of the estate of a deceased individual, or someone under Federal, state, local or tribal law with such authority (e.g., parent of a minor) (see VHA Handbook 1605.1 on the VHA Publications Web site).
f. Provider. Physicians, advanced practice registered nurses, physician assistants, and other health care practitioners who provide primary or specialty care services to patients in accordance with licensure, scope of practice, or functional statement.
4. POLICY
Except when specifically prohibited, it is VHA policy that providers, when requested, must assist patients in completion of VA and non-VA medical forms and provide medical statements with respect to the patient’s medical condition and functionality.pt when specifically prohibited, it is VHA policy that providers, when requested, must assist patients in completion of VA and non-VA medical forms and provide medical statements with respect to the patient’s medical condition and functionality.

Edited by 63SIERRA
ADD

12 minutes ago, broncovet said:

You are barking up the wrong tree.  If your doctor was Veteran friendly, he would have likely already provided medical evidence which would assist your claim.  You can lead a horse to water, but you cant make him drink.  

My suggestion is you find a more "Veteran friendly" doc.  You can switch docs, it does not sound like you have a lot of confidence in this doc at least as far as representing your best interests.  Rather than twist that doctors arm, I would just switch docotrs and find a more Vet friendly one.  

on the same token, yes I know the point of trying to make this Doc do thier job to help our cause is a moot point,  but letting VA doctors refuse to do the jobs that our tax dollars are paying them to do, just giving them the green light to  disregard thier job description isnt fair to the veterans. If it is in thier job description, and the veteran asks, they should do the job asked of them.  when you dont hold people accountable for thier actions, or in this case, inaction, it encourages bad behavior.

right here    ,its quite clear.....

s. Additionally, completion of medical forms by health care providers based on an examination or knowledge of the Veteran’s conditions, is included under title 38 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) 17.38(a)(1)(xv) as part of the medical benefits package (with the exception of the completion of examination forms if a third party would customarily pay health care practitioners for the examination, but will not pay VA). NOTE: At present, as a matter of policy, there are no known forms that would fall under this exception.

unless there is a revision or addendum to this law, I cant see how they could decline doing this job under the law

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't think I ever ask this particular VA Dr to help me with anything ever again  if the Head people get down on the Dr to write a DBQ  Chances are it will not be favorable to your spouse.

so you guys may think about what broncovet mention and request another Dr..the new Dr will just do some catching up read her medical records and meet with her on her next appointment..its really not starting over but what your spouse may accomplish is getting a good re pore with this new Doc and just go from there..once you complain at your VAMC your a numbered vet as a ''trouble maker'' and they can make things  hard for ya then. .....>Its not Worth it my friend.

jmo

5 hours ago, Buck52 said:

I don't think I ever ask this particular VA Dr to help me with anything ever again  if the Head people get down on the Dr to write a DBQ  Chances are it will not be favorable to your spouse.

so you guys may think about what broncovet mention and request another Dr..the new Dr will just do some catching up read her medical records and meet with her on her next appointment..its really not starting over but what your spouse may accomplish is getting a good re pore with this new Doc and just go from there..once you complain at your VAMC your a numbered vet as a ''trouble maker'' and they can make things  hard for ya then. .....>Its not Worth it my friend.

jmo

yes, we are putting in for a change of doctors very soon.

I was telling my wife, as a psyc doc, she should be the last person at the VA you would find uncaring and unhelpful to  a veteran.  A shrink should be the shelter you run to in times of storms. a confidant, a champion for you. a supporter, trusted role model. if the   sorry excuse for a doctor she is seeing has the attitude she has,, SHE IS NOT WORTHY OF TREATING MY WIFE. ,  she deserves better than  a greencard collecting a paycheck on a work visa  with a reciprocal medical degree substiute  .   My wife is a veteran of the greatest military, of the greatest country on the planet, and a shake and bake  white coat   with a fake MD behind her name isnt worthy of caring for her. .  and she will hear that to her face very soon.