VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Starting the Process

Rate this question

BdCol

Question

ALL:

New to this forum and just starting the claims process.  Background is Retired Army National Guard Officer with 31+ years total and retirement date of 31 December 2016.  No previous VA claims filing and getting ready to start the process.  That start is going to entail an appointment with the Department of Veterans Affairs in downtown Indianapolis to start the filing process.

I have a list of issues that include respiratory (Sinus/ COPD), Tinnitus, Feet/ Ankle, Knee, Shoulders, Lower Back, Vision (Cataract), Diabetes, PTSD/ OSA and Prostate Cancer.

My question is should I go into all of these areas with the initial "starting" a claims process and what upfront documentation should I bring?

Another question is in a case where there is no existing military medical record (Sciatic Nerve), how would I be able to address that with them up front and then build a nexus from there beyond a "presumed" case?

Any help would be great!

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

If you do not already have the appointment they should tell you when you make it what to bring. 

I would apply for everything you feel is related to service and anything that is secondary to those service connected conditions.

On 7/19/2018 at 9:44 AM, BdCol said:

Another question is in a case where there is no existing military medical record (Sciatic Nerve), how would I be able to address that with them up front and then build a nexus from there beyond a "presumed" case?

I would definitely bring this up to them. You can get what are called "buddy letters" from those around you that know of your condition and when and how it happened. You can also ask the VA what they need to grant your disability.

You definitely need to get a copy of your SMR's. You will be able to see what all is in there that you were treated for. If you have a civilian doctor that has seen you through these past 31+ years he should be able to opine about your service conditions.

Maybe some others will add some detail. A lot of this you can find out by searching and reading these forums. 

Great answer Kanewnut-

I too agree that now is the time- since you are out, to make sure you either have contact info for buddies in your Unit-who ,if needed, could give the VA an eyewitness account of anything that VA would question-

I see you are claiming PTSD and I have worked with vets with PTSD since 1984( and married one of them)-

Oddly enough his initial claim was filed the first day he ever went to VA and it also contained a Buddy statement from the Newark NJ Director-it was the only thing VA ever did right for him.

He went there to try to get a VA business loan and came out with a PTSD diagnosis-he didnt know what PTSD was and the director told him ( since he was moving to an area closer to his job- go to a Vet Center near were you relocate  and there you will find out what it is ( and that is how he got me, his surviving spouse .

-he thought he was the only Vietnam vet that ever came back who had nightmares, explosive anger, and horrible flashbacks.... and he thought he was just  crazy---

I have known  many PTSD vet in the PTSD program at a loal VAMC and have never met a crazy Vietnam vet with PTSD.

But my point is you will need to prove your stressor (s) for PTSD unless you were in combat-OIF OEF-

to comply with the 2010 PTSD regulations here.

If you have the PH, CAR, or CIB o your DD 214, the VA would probably concede the stressor without proof.

This is the 2010 PTSD regulation:

https://blumenauer.house.gov/sites/blumenauer.house.gov/files/migrated/images/stories/documents/2010/PTSD_New_Reg_Fact_Sheet.pdf

Edited by Berta