VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

increase after smc s is established

Rate this question

andrewdc

Question

My rated disabilities are as follows: 100 P&T COPD, 50% mental disorders, 30% sinusitis, 30% allergic rhinitis, 20% diabetes II, and (4) 10% separate nerve disabilities, and smc k. If I understand correctly, regardless of any additional added disabilities, without another rated at 100%, then I would forever remain at SMC S. is that correct?

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

No, that isnt correct.  There are many other SMC's you can potentially be awarded.  A few examples:

SMC L (Aid and attendance) if you need A and A.

Loss of use of arms, legs, eyes, etc.  

Loss of use of a reproductive organ.  

I have no idea whether you qualify for these or not.  All of the above CAN be awarded in addition to SMC S, with or without additiional disability 100 percent's.  

12 hours ago, andrewdc said:

My rated disabilities are as follows: 100 P&T COPD, 50% mental disorders, 30% sinusitis, 30% allergic rhinitis, 20% diabetes II, and (4) 10% separate nerve disabilities, and smc k. If I understand correctly, regardless of any additional added disabilities, without another rated at 100%, then I would forever remain at SMC S. is that correct?

You are probably rated the SMC due to the 10% for peripheral neuropathy; a loss of a sensorial part of your body. 

The SMC K, as far as Male Vets are concerned, is generally Awarded to address ED, loss of use of a productive organ. A Vet, male or female, can have multiple "K" Awards.

SC Neuropathies (Bi-Lateral) if eligible, are addressed with the SMC L Award when the appendages function no better than if amputated.

• HadIt.com Elder
On 7/19/2018 at 3:49 PM, andrewdc said:

I agree with Gastone & broncovet.  but

Are you asking if you can get an increase after SMC  Criteria has been establish? Or Inferred?

It depends!!

The more severe the condition to the disability  the higher the SMC., SMC uses letters to determine the severity of the condition, so if your condition warrants a higher SMC Criteria   then this would be the increase.

you might want to check asknod.org   site out....>  check the Mr Potato Head Illustration  for the criteria for SMC.'s

I don't see how you were inferred the SMC S? Those other S.C. Ratings you have are combed to 90% .

To meet the Criteria for SMC- S  you need the 100% Plus an additional separate and distinct S,C, Condition at 60%..you don't have that.

SMC-K is not given a percent anymore,  its rated at 0% but paid a monthly payment of 105.** in addition to what you are already being paid.

you mention'' then I would forever remain at SMC S. is that correct?''

As for as  forever ...Nothing is forever  dealing with the VA.

jmo

Edited by Buck52

1 hour ago, Buck52 said:

I agree with Gastone & broncovet.  but

Are you asking if you can get an increase after SMC  Criteria has been establish? Or Inferred?

It depends!!

The more severe the condition to the disability  the higher the SMC., SMC uses letters to determine the severity of the condition, so if your condition warrants a higher SMC Criteria   then this would be the increase.

you might want to check asknod.org   site out....>  check the Mr Potato Head Illustration  for the criteria for SMC.'s

I don't see how you were inferred the SMC S? Those other S.C. Ratings you have are combed to 90% .

To meet the Criteria for SMC- S  you need the 100% Plus an additional separate and distinct S,C, Condition at 60%..you don't have that.

SMC-K is not given a percent anymore,  its rated at 0% but paid a monthly payment of 105.** in addition to what you are already being paid.

you mention'' then I would forever remain at SMC S. is that correct?''

As for as  forever ...Nothing is forever  dealing with the VA.

jmo

I was increased to smc s because I have one disability rated at 100% and additional ratings that equal 60% or more. Other than a&a which I applied for but was denied for now, seems like I will remain at S even if my other disabilities increase in severity.  

I am in the same boat as you, except my wife is my VA caregiver. I get that VS A&A, which I qualify for, but this is the higher of the two. Do you currently work, or Receive SSDI, or Federal Disability Pension? A&A is very hard to get approved for, especially if you or your spouse currently work. Also the Govt becomes a heck of a lot more involved in your life, and your assets. Hopefully you never lose a limb or get worse off to require the other SMCs my friend. For now look into the SSDI and other benefits out there for your state and local benefits. Good luck and God Bless!!!