VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Fighting unreasonable delays:

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

This Federal Court case helps Veterans fight "unreasonable delays".  

http://thomasandrewslaw.blogspot.com/2018/07/martin-battling-unreasonable-delays-and.html

The Federal court explained it takes VA 1094 days (almost 3 years) to complete what should be done in 2.5 HOURS:

The Federal Circuit began by discussing the long time it takes for the VA to handle appeals.  It noted that after a veteran files a notice of disagreement with a decision, it takes the VA an average of 500 days to prepare the Statement of the Case.  Id. at 5-6. It then notes the veteran then has to file a Form 9 and then the VA has to certify the appeal to the Board of Veterans’ Appeals.  The Federal Circuit notes it takes 2 ½ hours to complete the certification process, but veterans wait an average of 773 days for this certification to occur and an additional 321 days for the VA to actually transfer the certified appeal to the Board.

This means your VARO "sits" on your appeal for 1594 days, and does nothing with it.  (That's 4.3 years delay, compliments of your local VARO.)  

Edited by broncovet

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

That is some serious red tape

This is great, thanks for posting broncovet.  Now if I could only find out how to request a Writ of Mandamus I'd be in high cotton.  I have been perusing the CAVC rules for Writs and using google to find out the meanings of "R at 257, Id. at *14", etc., etc.  at my advanced age and limited mental capacity it is taking a long time.  It has now been 2 1/2 years since my remand the the VARO, so according to Alex (asknod) it may be time to request a mandate.

Edited by toddt
grammar

You file a Writ of Mandamus at the CAVC, along with either a filing fee, or you can request a waiver (of the 50 dollar filing fee).  Dont request a waiver of the filing fee if you are a millionaire.  

If you like, type up a "draft" of your writ, and post it here.  In other words, explain why you think the VA has "unreasonably delayed you."   (They probably have).  

I have personally filed a writ of mandamus.  It was denied, but, lo and behold, within a couple months, I got what I was seeking.  

I used a "template" and pretty much substituted "my information" for that on the template.  It wasnt that hard when I figured that out.