VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rated 0% for Migraines

Rate this question

jfrei

Question

So it’s been 8 years since I was rated at 0% for my migraines and has never improved since 2006. I really didn’t care I felt if something happens related to all the mess they’ve tried my wife and kids are ok because I was 100% P and T for my TBI but now even my doctors treatment is being delayed not sure if it’s because I’m only 0 % for this issue. So  I filed for an increase for the migraines I am a candidate for Botox through the choice program and was given a subscription for it by him but it was sent to the RO for approval back in May and haven’t word a word since. Hoping if this goes through for my increase, theyll see i need to get this, and to get stepping for another exam. But if in my C&P exam and cites the cause of these as my skull fracture could I submit that into the BVA as evidence my last appealed issue for service connection of my skull fracture existed in service? Apparently the RO refuted my ER doctors findings and rehab doctors and said there dx was unfounded? Sorry people I’ve been so quiet on her was hoping to take this whole summer off to be with my family but if i let this fester it will get into another delay as usual...

Edited by jfrei

6 answers to this question

The VA should treat you for your migraines even if you are only 0%.  They treated me for ten years before they even made it ratable and then treated me when I was 0%.  I would start a migraine diary and track your migraines.  The VA is really hung up on how many and how often, a diary reflects that you are not just having a headache now and then.  I wish you the best in getting it increased.  Please see the attached migraine diaries.

http://helpforheadaches.com/lwfiles/Diary_Workbook.pdf

or

https://migraineagain.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Migraine-Diary.pdf

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Good info from @vetquest

For the last 2 years after they finally were service connected they have been trying all sorts of meds such as topamax, Ritalin, mostly ibuprofen. They approved me to go to a neurologist to have them looked at under the choice and put me on Nadolol and put in a recommendation for Botox. So I’m still waiting for the Botox to be approved this was last May so I figured well since they aren’t moving and the headaches haven’t either maybe not every day anymore but still about 3-4 times a week that an increase should be warranted since I’m at 0 can’t go down... thank you for the good information 

Edited by jfrei

Sorry to hear of your headaches bud. My 50% SC is for Migraines/TBI connected together. I get treatment thru the VA Neuro Doc and Medication. I have had these headaches for the last 7 yrs so not much helps anymore. Just try not to drink too much caffeine, smoke or have high blood pressure, as all of these can make the headaches worse. Good luck and God Bless

here is something else  to consider.. there are alot of very expensive new medications available, many are on the VA Pharmalary list, but they still shy away from giving them to you. The VA will always put you on the cheapest meds available, even though there may be something better.

I was prescribed Lyrica from an outside provider. Went to the VA pharmacy to get it filled in Temple tx, and they lied and said that it wasnt on the pharmalary list. After proving to them it was on the list, they then said a panel of DR s inside the VA had to vote on the matter. EVERY time I went to get it filled they fought me over it because theres no generic and its 1.000 dollars a month.

Doctor said va has you listed for just headaches she said it should be post traumatic headaches like your choice doctor puts and your primary doctor at the VA. She said I’m not the VA but I think this increase will go your way I laughed we will see I’ve  been 0 for 8 years doubt they will go high... I’m hoping this will mean my wait time for Botox will go quicker my referral was in May! The topper was I brought in my SSDI award letter stating one of the two reasons I was granted my claim was my headache condition. Anyone have any guesses of how this one will be lowballed??

Edited by jfrei