VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Aid and Attendance Compensation

Rate this question

Trapperx6

Question

I am writing this for my husband, a 20 year Veteran who is rated at 100% disability for PTSD.  He can no longer think straight to put thoughts into words without my help.  This is just one of his problems.  He can no longer remember to take his meds, go to doctors appointments, cook for himself etc, etc, without me.  I have had to basically end my working career at 57 years old to care for him.  My question is, does anyone know how to get aid and attendance compensation?  I am now his full time caregiver and he cannot be left alone.  What is the process for this?  Someone told me about this the other day when we went to the VA but really did not have further info on it.  How much can the compensation be?   Will it be enough if I have to hire someone to sit with him while I work part-time?  Thank you for ANY info, I am at a loss here!

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Not Going to mention his military retirement.. Not going into that  as to how they off set his compensation adjustment to his Retirement pay..I don't understand how they do that?( make myself look like a fool)  but they will..another member can mention that to you...but he does need to try to get the A&A  SMC

With Just S.C. Disability's  Normally he would need the 100% plus a separate rating of 60% to quailfy for SMC (Special Monthly Compensation)

However if he is bad enough not to care for himself'dress /feed hime self then he has a worsen conditions ...> his PTSD so under special circumstances he can file for increase on PTSD and they will inferr the SMC A&A  YOU NEED A QUALIFIED DR opinion for this  (his ptsd is worse) although 100% is the highest rating for PTSD  unless he is P&T ?  permanent and total   it will prove he needs the A&A THEY GO BY THE SEVERITY OF HIS CONDITION  & THE CRITERIA FOR SMC USING THE SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES..

HE HAS 5- 10% COMBINED RATINGS There maybe some secondary conditions he could file to his PTSD/OR THE MEDS FROM HIS PTSD  TO GET THE EXTRA 10% NEEDED TO COMBINED HIS RATINGS TO MEET THE SMC  CRITERIA.

THE 100% PLUS THE 60%...THEY CAN DO ALL OF THIS AFTER YOU FILE THE CLAIM JUST ADD THE OTHER CONDITIONS THAT HIS PTSD CAN CAUSE OR BE RELATED TO. SEND IN Dr letter and opinion on his worsening condition  ask for increase  he may not need any more 10%?  After they see how bad  his PTSD has worsen? that is.  .if there's not something else to file on that could have caused him to get worse? another condition  heart condition or other conditions that would be secondary. to his PTSD.

JMO

Edited by Buck52

The link for concurrent pay Berta gave is the best info - when you receive above the 50% rating and military retirement or combat recognition. 

I receive my military retirement too Blessed. 

4 hours ago, Berta said:

Oh_ I see he gets either CRSC or CRDP.

https://www.military.com/benefits/military-pay/special-pay/comparing-crsc-and-crdp.html

But I also see 6 Ten percent  disabilities.

Can you scan and attach his most recent decision here? Cover C file #, name, address prior to scanning it.

Here you go Berta!  Thanks for your help in any way!  I don't honestly know how to navigate these roads!

Disability Rating.pdf

6 hours ago, broncovet said:

"Fear of rating Reductions" (F.E.A.R is False Expectations Appearing Real)  keeps many Veterans from applying for increases they deserve.  Va likes it that way, and VSO's often "feed the fear fire" by telling Veterans not to appeal or file an increase as that causes a reduction instead.  

Its absolutely false.  There are special rating protections with P and T, at 5 years, 10 years (for service connection) and 20 years.  

In order to reduce a 100 percent P and T rating, the VA has to show your condition "actually improved under ordinary condtions of life", which means working.  As long as he has not improved, and is not working, your rating is safe regardless of whether or not he applies for additional benefits or appeals.  

Reductions are not "triggered" by new conditions.  The Veteran has to meet the applicable criteria for reductions, and that criteria is NOT: "Whenever the VEteran applies for more benefits automatically reduce him instead."   Whether or not the Veteran appealed an effective date or sought more benefits is irrelevant when it comes to reductions.  What is critical (in reductions) is whether or not the Veteran "actually improved under ordinary conditions of life", not whether he applied for more benefits or not.   

Can you clarify "There are special rating protections with P and T at 5 years, 10 years (for service connection) and 20 years.".  I really don't understand what you mean.  Thanks!

• HadIt.com Elder

Trapperx6

Not sure why broncovet posted about the protected ratings? but it applies to all of us Veterans getting compensation payments.

However

The longer your hubby has his concurrent disability's the harder it is for the VA To reduce them, Normally showing improvements on a disability  from  VA Dr notes and  VARO. (Veterans Affairs Regional  Office) gets word of it  they tend to propose a reduction in the rating, 

check this out

Also I found a link on military retirement pay and getting VA Disability pay,  just clink on the link  maybe it will help you understand the payments  a little better and how they adjust it between the two.

https://themilitarywallet.com/va-disability-compensation-affects-military-retirement-pay/

Source: Military Wallet.com

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

Also even though your hubby will be turning 60 this Nov.. he can still file for SSDI , IF HE HAS NOT YET FILED FOR THAT?

You guys sure need to think about filing for his SSDI, its extra income, I'm sure you guys could be using now, go to the Social Security Office and file for it Take medical records from his Dr &,Take his VA award letter make copy and take it with you  his 100% VA Disability will make it easier for them to Approve the SSDI.

You also can go on line and SSA  and create an internet account and file over the internet and keep up with his SSDI on a regular basis.  it makes it more simple and no long wait lines and take a number down at the SSA Office. You can do it all from home. (your option)

once you get into the SSA Web Site Just follow instructions  as for as setting up an SSA ACCOUNT.

keep on asking any questions you need here &

Welcome to Hadit.