VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Just how "Permanent" is your IU T & P Award??

Rate this question

Gastone

Question

Do you believe your recent IU T & P Award is "Etched in Stone," non-reduceable by the Rating Dept. for the rest of your Life?  What do you know about the 5 year award Anniversary, 10 yr DIC, age 69 21-4140 and holding the Award for 20 years?

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Gastone

I remember reading on some form record that was in my C-File /I believe it was on my Rating Code sheet.

A Veteran who has been rated IU P&T and it states in his/her Award letter that his/her disability is of a static in nature and not expected to improve within his/her Life time & the S.C. Disability/Disability's has  no future exams scheduled, this Veteran is not required to send in the 21-4140 Employment Questioner each year.

Every Veteran who has been Awarded the IU /P&T needs to read his Award letter very closely and how  and what they mention on his Rating Code Sheet and the reasons and bases of the decision.

I think now it mentions ''What We Decided''

Now what if the R.O. finds out this Veteran went back to work? sure that is a sure fire way to get his/her benefits reduced. that's what they are mostly concerned about with Veterans that have the TDIU P&T

But I still think a Veteran is not safe until he/she has the 20 years in on the s.c. rated disability.

They can call any of us up for an exam these first 20 years if they have good reason too.

Although a Veteran can disagree with it and ask that this exam sent in from the R.O. Be Cancelled /Ms CarlieCash has a excellent example of this.

It's in the Hadit Archives under The late and beloved Hadit outstanding Member Carlie Cash Post.

Edited by Buck52

Buck, you're correct about the "20 Year" Award Anniversary unless the Rating Dept thinks Fraud is in play.

An IU Vet with an Award less than 5 years, regardless of mention of T & P, could get looked at if the major IU causative SC is considered for possible improvement, even if its a MH Issue is currently static at the time of the IU Award. 

As to the yearly IU Anniversary Date filing of the 21-4140. It's filing is specifically addressed in the IU Award Letter, and mandatory till you turn 69 or hold the IU Award for 19 years. The 10 year DIC Date is another prime issue that has been known to trigger Re-Exams.      With the Filing of any New SC or Secondary Issue Claim, all bets are off. Everything can be reviewed at the Raters discretion.