VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

P&T Awarded Finally!! Victory but still not over!

Rate this topic

iraqx2

Hello Folks! Hope everyone on board is doing well. I have been at 100% for TBI since 2009 plus other ratings. At the 2014 reevaluation, the decision was to keep it static at 100% for TBI. I felt that was not right because I was getting worse, so I filed an NOD for a P&T status and also on the same NOD, appealed for a higher SMC based on A&A. IT WAS SUCH A LONG WAIT!!! THIS IS 2018!!! I suspected progress when they finally sent me to be reexamined again this past spring. I finally got the letter last week, P&T awarded, effective date 2014. I needed that so bad. My son already started college two years ago and my daughter is starting this year, they officially had no educational benefits. Chapter 35 will help big time! Its a great win after a hard fought battle. However, no decision was made on a higher SMC. The appeal is still showing " open ". I just hope that by them deciding on one issue of a NOD, they forgot about the other. Awarding P&T is on the same line as the other issue. I feel so relieved. Thank you all.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is Wondeful news!

If the EED for P & T covers some or all of the time in college, regarding your son , it is possible he could apply for a retroactive  amount pf DEA(Chap 35) . I sure did but for a different reason and they paid the retro.

If your daughter ( they both have to be in a VA approved college-most colleges are VA approved) your daughter should tie in with the college VA counselor as well as their Financial Aid department.

My school (a military school) never had a Chapter 35er before and I was the only civilian in a degree program there-

But in any event it still went OK-

After my DEA entitlement date ran out I paid for the rest of my degree out of pocket- and then I was awarded a DIC

for SC death that trumped my 1151 DIC and this gave me a new  DEA  entitlement date as well as  the retroactive payment, when I asked for it ,with a claim that VA Edu handled.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Congratulations!

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use